Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
bbsupersport
1st Gear Newbie

Street/Track Tires

Hi, taking my car to Canadian Tire Motorsports Park for Trillium Chapter's Advanced Driving School in September. It's my first time on a track.

I've heard differences of opinion regarding tires. I have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flats on my 2015 M235i X-Drive and was told by one individual that a weekend at the track would basically ruin those tires, and should replace with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Someone else, more recently, said that it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Looking for some insight here.

Thanks.
bbsupersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
skru_fase
Lurker

Just watch your tires pressures and you should be fine with your oem tires. Your first time out, you shouldn't do too much wear....

Have fun! It's a great group, and an awesome track!!
skru_fase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
bbsupersport
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks skru_fase! I'm really looking forward to it!
Still have to pick up a helmet too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
Just watch your tires pressures and you should be fine with your oem tires. Your first time out, you shouldn't do too much wear....

Have fun! It's a great group, and an awesome track!!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

It all depends on how hard you push it, if you take it easy and don't exceed what the tires are capable of, you'll be fine.

If you go out there thinking you are Schumacher and plow through every turn, understeering and continuing to push without backing off. Then yes you will ruin any tire like that.

So to answer your question, it will depend on your driving.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
bbsupersport
1st Gear Newbie

That make good sense. I want to push it more than I would on the street, obviously, but not going to go all out first time on a track!
Thanks T.Dot

BTW, nice car! If that's your's in your signature!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
It all depends on how hard you push it, if you take it easy and don't exceed what the tires are capable of, you'll be fine.

If you go out there thinking you are Schumacher and plow through every turn, understeering and continuing to push without backing off. Then yes you will ruin any tire like that.

So to answer your question, it will depend on your driving.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsupersport View Post
That make good sense. I want to push it more than I would on the street, obviously, but not going to go all out first time on a track!
Thanks T.Dot

BTW, nice car! If that's your's in your signature!
Thanks, by taking it easy I just meant driving 9/10ths, braking early and not taking corners with the front tires squealing begging for mercy and under steering like a bitch.

You will be flooring it out of turns, reaching illegal speeds on any normal road in Ontario, every-time you touch the gas, so you definitely will be 'pushing it' compared to normal roads. Just don't "over push it" or "over drive" the car/tires they say and your car will be fine.

You'll have a blast! Don't focus on laptimes or what others are doing, just focus on learning the track, being smooth and having fun!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
bbsupersport
1st Gear Newbie

Got it! Great info and advice, really looking forward to it, getting pumped!
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Thanks, by taking it easy I just meant driving 9/10ths, braking early and not taking corners with the front tires squealing begging for mercy and under steering like a bitch.

You will be flooring it out of turns, reaching illegal speeds on any normal road in Ontario, every-time you touch the gas, so you definitely will be 'pushing it' compared to normal roads. Just don't "over push it" or "over drive" the car/tires they say and your car will be fine.

You'll have a blast! Don't focus on laptimes or what others are doing, just focus on learning the track, being smooth and having fun!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
skru_fase
Lurker

The club does have loaner helmets for free too. You just need to give them your license for the day. That way you can get a sense of how much you like driving on a track before spending money on a helmet.

If you do buy, make sure that it isn't a motorcycle helmet as the club doesn't allow their use. Try and get SA2015 rated helmet. The 2010's will be cheaper, but are nearing the end of their usefulness.
skru_fase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Those tires are fine for first time out.
Post your experience afterwards....
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
bbsupersport
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
The club does have loaner helmets for free too. You just need to give them your license for the day. That way you can get a sense of how much you like driving on a track before spending money on a helmet.

If you do buy, make sure that it isn't a motorcycle helmet as the club doesn't allow their use. Try and get SA2015 rated helmet. The 2010's will be cheaper, but are nearing the end of their usefulness.
I thought about a loaner, but don't want to risk them not having one, or fit/comfort issues. I was thinking about getting a RaceQuip OF15 helmet. It's open face and is Snell SA2015 rated. It's $249 at Performance Improvements.
RaceQuip Helmet.jpeg
Old 08-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
bbsupersport
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinanstu View Post
Those tires are fine for first time out.
Post your experience afterwards....
Thanks Dinanstu, appreciate your opinion.
Will do!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to burn up those commuter tires. As others said just don't pound them into understeer and you will be fine. Doubt that will be an issue with an instructor next to you, anyway.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #13
windwagen
6th Gear Member

I've been buying tires off kijiji and craigslist for years. After all, I'm going to destroy them on track days so I have a hard time justifying $1500 for a set. So far, I think I'm ahead of the game.

The most I pay is $100 for something with 40% left. I usually look for PS2 or Super Sport. M5 is wearing some Potenza RE11 on the back right now... 285-30-18.... $100 for the two with 75% tread.

Best score so far was two Super Sports 265-35-19 for the touring. The post said they were only good for burnouts...$60 for the two. While I was on my way, the seller calls to make sure I'm still coming and drops the price to $50.... Now I'm thinking WTF - how bad are these things??? They were more than 50%, so I paid $60 anyway.

Tomorrow, picking up two RE050A for $40.... 255-35-18

The tire shop that mounts my tires say that they see my M5 more than any other car.

I visited this place today which I found on Kijiji.... not bad, a little towards the high end on price but they do have a very good stock on decent quality tires in good sizes - I'd say it's the definitive CANDY STORE for used tires. I'm not picky on size so the guy running the place was getting frustrated with me. Eventually, he just let me browse till I found what I wanted. Cash Only. The place is like a giant cloud of tire shine, so be careful, your shoes will be slippery after a visit

#1TIRES
101 Toro rd. Units #1-2-3
(Finch & Keele)

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days

Last edited by windwagen; 08-04-2017 at 09:41 PM.
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

I will have a set of 285/30 potentza S04's for u for next year...
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #15
JPenguinCA
1st Gear Newbie

I had the same tires on my 228i, they still had plenty of tread left after 2 Trillium weekends and 2 other track days. The tires won't be the greatest but you're unlikely to reach their limits the first weekend out.

For your first weekend out you should be fine with a completely stock set up. If you get hooked though you should really get some better brake pads. I only got 1 Track day + 1 Trillium weekend and 12,000km out of the stock pads.
JPenguinCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: