Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #16
gervs
2nd Gear Member

Hey Fil, what spray can (brand and colour) did you use? I actually really like it!
gervs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
blk3
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Same with the guy who ripped mine off the car!
If you ever come across one again give me a shout
blk3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #18
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
Why not just post your tips in this thread where other people who find it in the future might benefit too? Or will you be found wrapped in zipties with bondo shoes at the bottom of lake Ontario if the bodyshop mafia find out you've been sharing their secrets?

Hey guys, I outlined what I am planning for paint, that's about all the tips I have (condensed from a lot of reading on the internet about it)...I will add any other tips as I go through this with pics. But for now, what I wrote was about it for tips.

Or were you looking for bodywork tips?

I also have some good information on using a brush and roller for Aloush if he wants it...
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Hey guys, I outlined what I am planning for paint, that's about all the tips I have (condensed from a lot of reading on the internet about it)...I will add any other tips as I go through this with pics. But for now, what I wrote was about it for tips.

Or were you looking for bodywork tips?

I also have some good information on using a brush and roller for Aloush if he wants it...
I believe nonlocal was referring to v_bimmer about the tips since he's in the business and would have some strong feedback. Thats who i was referring to.

is there any reason why you chose the spray can over the roller?
Aloush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #20
blk3
4th Gear Member

for one the paint finish with a can is much smoother than the roller.
blk3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #21
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk3 View Post
cans scare me since they start losing pressure and not always spraying at a constant. It would be really tough spraying the roof consider the can will have to be side ways, and they only spray while in the vertical position. Could be wrong.

at the end of the day both methods arent really the right way its just figuring what is best.
Aloush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #22
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

I bought a can of scratch filler to prep a new bumper and the damn can clogged up after 10 seconds of use!

I then switched to the same type of can with paint and the SAME thing happened.

Damn spray bombs.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #23
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk3 View Post
Not really, even with the roller you wet sand after, and it can be posished to any kind of finish! Even with regular paint jobs, the final quality has to do a lot with sanding/polishing!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #24
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloush View Post
cans scare me since they start losing pressure and not always spraying at a constant. It would be really tough spraying the roof consider the can will have to be side ways, and they only spray while in the vertical position. Could be wrong.

at the end of the day both methods arent really the right way its just figuring what is best.
Having a torch handy helps a lot! Keeping the spray can warm does wonders!!! Hot water also helps, but flame is so much easyer... (just DONT ever do it!)...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #25
Starsky
2nd Gear Member

I painted my e30 with a roller in the fall, ended up using boat paint. Google that for more cheap paint ideas.

I was originally planning to use spray cans, but when I started experimenting with it, I couldn't get the paint to spray on evenly. I kept getting paint build-up on the nozzle which would often get into the spray and leave "drips" on the surface that was being painted. The outcome was that it looked crappy.

After that experiment, I switched to the boat paint and a roller, results were much more consistent. The final product turned out pretty well, I still need to wet sand it but it isn't that bad in most spots.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #26
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloush View Post
I believe nonlocal was referring to v_bimmer about the tips since he's in the business and would have some strong feedback. Thats who i was referring to.

is there any reason why you chose the spray can over the roller?
lol, I was a little confused as why you guys would ask me for tips because it's my first time...

I am choosing the spray cans over the roller method because I think spraying will be faster and easier. Trust me, I've done enough sanding! The roller method does seem to be really labour intensive. I know you're thinking about the roller method, a definite advantage is less taping and less overspray. I would think this would be a better method for someone without a way of containing overspray (ie-painting on a driveway, parking lot, etc). There is a great article on this on hotrod.com in the tech section, they painted an old car with a roller and brush following the steps of the "$98 paint job" and were quite pleased with the results.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I painted my e30 with a roller in the fall, ended up using boat paint. Google that for more cheap paint ideas.

I was originally planning to use spray cans, but when I started experimenting with it, I couldn't get the paint to spray on evenly. I kept getting paint build-up on the nozzle which would often get into the spray and leave "drips" on the surface that was being painted. The outcome was that it looked crappy.

After that experiment, I switched to the boat paint and a roller, results were much more consistent. The final product turned out pretty well, I still need to wet sand it but it isn't that bad in most spots.
I have noticed this build up too, I keep practicing and progressively more visible parts of the car, and it seems to be getting better. I am hoping shaking the cans well and turning them upside down periodically will clear the nozzle and slow this down. I seem to be getting the hang of it, but painting 1foot square spots is going to be a lot different than painting the hood. I'm certain I will get quite a number of imperfections, though...

Did you try to sand out the drips?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #28
Starsky
2nd Gear Member

No I didn't. It kind of defeated the purpose of spraying in the first place if I was going to have to sand afterwards anyways.

The labour was not all that bad in applying the paint. It took me about a day to strip all the parts off the car. Then it took about 5 hours per coat with the roller and another day to reassemble everything.

I am planning to do a couple more coats this summer and wet sand the whole car. Expecting it to turn out pretty well when all is finished.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Brent
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
No I didn't. It kind of defeated the purpose of spraying in the first place if I was going to have to sand afterwards anyways.

The labour was not all that bad in applying the paint. It took me about a day to strip all the parts off the car. Then it took about 5 hours per coat with the roller and another day to reassemble everything.

I am planning to do a couple more coats this summer and wet sand the whole car. Expecting it to turn out pretty well when all is finished.
When I read about the roller method, most information talked about sanding in between each coat-I guess you haven't found this necessary? By the way, you said it took 5 hours per coat, how many coats did you do?

I was planning to sand and buff regardless of the method, with the hopes of creating a smoother, more mirror like finish.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #30
Starsky
2nd Gear Member

I did sand between coats. Used whatever grade of paper the paint manufacturer recommended, might have been 120 grit. Used an orbital palm sander and it didn't take very long. I did two coats of paint.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: