Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-04-2003, 05:22 PM   #91
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

isnt rev matching and heel toe the same thing? this is so confusing...

when i first drove stick, i dont remember but when i upshifted it was smoth..same with downshifts...but i was shifting at like 3-4000rpm and then in 3rd at 3000 then downshifted...is that why it didnt jerk?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #92
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
isnt rev matching and heel toe the same thing? this is so confusing...

when i first drove stick, i dont remember but when i upshifted it was smoth..same with downshifts...but i was shifting at like 3-4000rpm and then in 3rd at 3000 then downshifted...is that why it didnt jerk?
To me and my friends, rev matching is popping the clutch in and while you're downshifting you tap on the gas and pop the clutch back out. (no brakes used)

Heel Toe is when you're braking and then as you're braking you clutch in and blip the throttle while you're still on the brakes.

But technically, both methods are bascially rev matching the gears when you downshift; so same thing but one method is without the brakes.

You can still jerk the car at any rpm that you shift at. I could even shift at 2500rpm, clutch in but then instantly release the clutch very quickly w/out gasing it and you'll feel the car jerk. I noticied that if i try to shift somewhat quick, sometimes I still gas on back too slow and clutch out too quickly after upshifting, thus feeling the jerkyness. It takes practice, sometimes I can get it right while other times there's a slight jerk.
Same with downshift, if I downshift (without rev matching) but I clutch out way too quickly after downshifting, you'll feel the car jerk for sure. That's what I did when my A4 friend taught me manual, the first time I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd, oh man, I popped the clutch out so quickly that the car jerked so much, heh I think he wanted to kick my butt for that, but from there on I figured how to do it properly :madnoel:
Old 04-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #93
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
once you can rev-match, heel-toeing isn't much harder. You just have to be able to modulate the brake and gas at the same time with the same foot. Just don't learn this in traffic in case your foot slips off the brake.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:32 PM   #94
Shamis
6th Gear Member

thins air do you want to selll me you brace for the engine bay??
Shamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:36 PM   #95
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

wait, so i didnt heel toe, or rev match...but the car didnt jerk...once it was really smooth...so you can either drive really smooth, rev match or heel toe? what about downshifting?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:47 PM   #96
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by Shamis
thins air do you want to selll me you brace for the engine bay??
Not this soon, I may not even get rid of it, it all depends.

You should get an X-brace from the dealer first anyway.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 04-04-2003, 10:23 PM   #97
Shamis
6th Gear Member

I know im saying like early summer
Shamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:28 PM   #98
Slowered318
loco de la cabaza

Quote:
Originally posted by Shamis
I know im saying like early summer
You said you wern't going to keep your car
Slowered318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #99
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
wait, so i didnt heel toe, or rev match...but the car didnt jerk...once it was really smooth...so you can either drive really smooth, rev match or heel toe? what about downshifting?
You can drive smooth on a manual in anyway.

You can make upshifts smooth with out jerking the car and also downshift smoothly even without heel toe/rev match.

Man, heh didn't you sit in Randy's and your cousin's car a lot? I think even riding as passenger you can tell what's smooth and what's not.

It's not like a sin to have some jerky shifts, but it's just more comfortable for everyone else if you can shift as smooth as an auto tranny
Old 04-04-2003, 10:45 PM   #100
Slowered318
loco de la cabaza

I prefer nudgie shifts over reving burn up the clutch shifts. It's like pins and needles in my skull! let off the gas before you change gears dammit!
Slowered318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:01 PM   #101
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
The best way to get smooth is to watch your passenger's head. Since you are aware of the shift occuring your will subconciously prepare for the shift. You will also notice that smooth shifts are rarely ever quick.

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:13 PM   #102
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by SpudBoy
The best way to get smooth is to watch your passenger's head. Since you are aware of the shift occuring your will subconciously prepare for the shift. You will also notice that smooth shifts are rarely ever quick.
Yeah, I mean sometimes when I shift a little bit quicker and I mess up, you feel the car bouncing a bit b/c I popped the clutch out too quickly but didn't gas it enough.

Off-topic, but how much damage does stalling a car do in general?
Is the lifespan of the clutch decreased by that much more vs. dumping the clutch from dead stops when you want to race someone?
Old 04-04-2003, 11:32 PM   #103
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
I have no data... but I feel a stall is a lot less damaging than a 3000 RPM race start. I don't think a stall does any real damage unless you are making a left hand turn into oncoming traffic. lol

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 06:34 AM   #104
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Off-topic, but how much damage does stalling a car do in general?
Is the lifespan of the clutch decreased by that much more vs. dumping the clutch from dead stops when you want to race someone?
In my opinion, stalling only really can damage the engine and tranny mounts (from the sudden jerk), which are pretty hard to damage anyway.

Dumping the clutch probably wears it less, but wears other parts (mounts, axles, tires) faster....i dunno.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: