Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
mclovin
3rd Gear Member

VW dealers use Castrol syntec. Bmw uses specialy formulated castrol oil specificaly for bmws
Old 07-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #17
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

I have an always will use the stuff that they sell me at the BMW parts counter... I used it in my E36 and use it currently in my E93 I also do my oil changes every 10k instead of the BMW recommended every 20K! 20K seems like just too long for my liking, and since I do my own oil changes for the most part its still reasonably inexpensive!

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
JediNitE90
1st Gear Newbie

You guys should stick with oils that have the LL-01 certification from BMW. From what I have been reading on other BMW boards a majority of these boutique oils (Motul, Amsoil, Royal Purple etc..) do not have this certification, so your just wasting your money and not running the proper spec oil in your motor. LL-01 is used for NA motors running on NA spec gas, and LL-04 is used for Euro motor running on Euro spec gas. Here is a spec guide straight from BMW NA on what oils you should use.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Personally, I will only use the BMW HP 5W-30 Synthetic Oil or the Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30 for my 335i (See Mike @ Maranello for specials on the BMW oil or check the Crappy Tire flyers for the occasional Castrol sale)
JediNitE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
killakill
2nd Gear Member

mobil 1

im running mobil1 ow40 very impressed compared to the castrol and it is LL 01 approved
killakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
Bimrz
BMW Master

Castrol 0-30 from Germany. By far the best especially in the winter time. You will notice the difference on start up. Only thing I don't like about it is the price. Look for Walmart or Canadian Tire specials. save you a few bucks.
Bimrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

I think a lot of people are missing the fact there are TWO types of Castrol Syntec 5w30. Only the gold bottle stuff that has the LL01 on the back should be used as a long interval oil.

I've been looking at the sales at CT for years, and I've NEVER, EVER seen the LL01 oil on sale. Ever. Nor the Mobil 0w40 LL01 oil. The sales are always for the non-LL01 synthetic oils.

Walmart does not, in my experience, carry ANY LL01 oils. I've checked many times hoping to get lucky.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
Monacoblu335
1st Gear Newbie

Canadian Tire had a sale on Castrol oil last week. I picked up a few bottles of Castrol. Its the 0w30 thats LL01 approved. If anyones interested I have some BMW dealer oil the 5w30 high preformance synthetic oil I'll be willing to sell cheap.
Monacoblu335 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: