Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name

Welcome to!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
1st Gear Newbie
Summer is coming

So I am new to the forum and bmw community. I am going to have my first summer in the city in 6 years and have been looking to buy a car. I am pretty sure my mind has been set on a 3 series between 86 - 91 but there are a few questions I want to ask before I get myself into this.

The first and probably being the most obvious is what is my price range going to look like? I am not looking for something that is completely modded but I do not have any major mechanical skills to work on a giant project car. In essence I am probably willing to get something slightly beat up which someone with few experience but is willing to learn could get there hands on.

The next would be what would be the cost of keeping the bmw on the road? I am mostly concerned with maintenance.

Finally because I just can't get past the idea of a summer driven car it would most likely be used in the winter, any other issues I should be expecting with this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
JediCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
There are plenty of cars are sold by the members, as well some member are car dealers, look into it.
If you planning and willing to learn to maintain the car. You might want to look into buying Bentley manual, not the greatest by often better that nothing. OBD scanner also a great help.

The car can be driven in the winter, there are a few complication those. BMW sits relatively low. Most of the time you will be waiting for snow plow. Rear wheel drive takes a few empty parking lots to learn how to handle the beast. Also winter tires would be preferable. Although the body comes anti rust treated by the manufacture. Most often it is not enough so you will have to get respray once a season. That about of the top of my head.

Welcome. Will see you soon.
uzi577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: