Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
JayR_84
2nd Gear Member

Vote for This guy for Toronto Mayor?

Read this today on a msn.ca blog... this guy sounds pretty good in my books so far.

Ford wants to terminate Toronto’s War on the Car
By David Menzies

Armed with common sense and a dogged determination to do the right thing when it comes to spending taxpayers’ money, Toronto mayoralty candidate Rob Ford says if elected he will finally end Toronto’s ongoing “war on the car.”

For several years, the majority on the current city council has looked upon the automobile as a pariah. As such, the city has gone out of its way to make motoring in Hogtown miserable.

Need proof? Earlier this week, the Board of Trade released a report indicating that Toronto commute times are even worse than Los Angeles. Indeed, Toronto ranked dead last among 19 urban centres, with an average total commute time of 80 minutes.

Ford, who is currently a long-serving Toronto city councilor, has long maintained that an anti-car ideology by the current council is just making things worse for Toronto drivers. Even though 70% of Torontonians drive to work, Mayor David Miller prefers that citizens walk, cycle or hop aboard an already-overburdened public transit system.

But Ford promises that if elected mayor, many things will change for Toronto motorists under his watch. Examples:

Speed bump moratorium.
Toronto is rapidly becoming the speed bump capital of the world. So-called “traffic calming” areas, which have a speed limit of 30 km/h and are peppered with asphalt bumps that cost $3,500 per unit, continue to proliferate (more than 30,000 so far.) Ford says not only is it frustrating to drive in an area festooned with speed bumps, but city vehicles – ranging from snowplows to garbage trucks – are damaged by these lumps.

Cancel suburban bike lanes.
Ford says he can understand the need for bicycle lanes on some downtown streets, but the bike lanes in suburbia are hardly used and are essentially “roads to nowhere.”

Drop the annual $60 car registration fee.
Ford calls this highly unpopular tax nothing more than a blatant “cash grab.”

Spruce up the Gardiner Expressway.
Mayor Miller wants to see this vital artery razed because it’s essentially an eyesore. Ford says without the Gardiner, traffic would be chaotic as this expressway moves hundreds of cars into and out of Toronto on an hourly basis.

Park the streetcars.
Ford says these lumbering vehicles from yester-century only serve to congest traffic. As well, it is sometimes unsafe for passengers to enter and exit streetcars given the tracks are situated in the left lane.

End the quota system embraced by Parking Enforcement Officers.
Ford says Toronto’s overzealous meter maids go out of their way to impede businesses (i.e., tagging courier vehicles) yet don’t do nearly enough to crackdown on able-bodied people who appropriate handicapped spots.

Bottom line: after a prolonged assault on the automobile, Ford’s pro-car platform will surely resonates with shell-shocked Toronto drivers. Will there be a Ford in Toronto’s future? We’ll all find out come election day this fall.
JayR_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Exactly! LOL

I ve been to LA many many many times, and traffic LA is waaaaaaay easier to get through then Toronto. Sorry.

Also , streetcars need to be replaced with MODERN TRAINSETS FROM EUROPE THAT ARE AS FAST AS CARS.

Last edited by 5style; 04-07-2010 at 11:24 AM.
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

hes got my vote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

There is nothing wrong with streetcars in general. There is something seriously wrong with Toronto's. Its not 1970, time to get modern fast trainsets.

"capable of reaching speeds up to 70 km/h." VS toronto's current 30-40km/h

"Each tram is capable of carrying 159 passengers" VS toronto's what? 35-40?

NEW STREET CARS. Am I right?

Last edited by 5style; 04-07-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Quote:
Originally Posted by 405Style View Post
There is nothing wrong with streetcars in general. There is something seriously wrong with Toronto's. Its not 1970, time to get modern fast trainsets.
Agreed. The City would rather spend our money on 'speed bumps'.

Some of you can see the mess he created on St. Clair Ave. with the raised tracks, even though almost every local retailer and residence were stoutly against it.

I swear that dimwit of a Mayor wouldn't be able to hold a job down in a fast food joint in the private sector.

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
pawcio
6th Gear Member

i like living in the gta but there is a lot of stuff wrong with the way toronto organizes its transit and roads. the longer we wait though, the more expensive it will be to reverse. there are larger, and/or more densely populated cities in other countries that manage everything a lot better.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
i like living in the gta but there is a lot of stuff wrong with the way toronto organizes its transit and roads. the longer we wait though, the more expensive it will be to reverse. there are larger, and/or more densely populated cities in other countries that manage everything a lot better.
How can you possibly like spending so much time commuting just to get mundane tasks done? I don't see what is enjoyable about it at all. Its not fun driving in bumper to bumper brake gas brake gas traffic on the 401 for example that makes a 10 min commute turn into a whopping 65min one.

Its already too late to reverse the effects. The smart people will move out of here asap before they start taxing even more to "reverse" the complete insanity they caused for everyone with the complete lack of urban planning. This goes for the whole gta.

My life is too short to waste over 2 hrs in traffic daily

Last edited by 5style; 04-07-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

Rob Ford or Rocco Rossi is getting my vote.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

As nice as Toronto is/could be.... The people who run this place are complete brain dead morons.

Nice to see the promises... will they be kept though?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

I don't want to discourage anyone from voting for Rob Ford, or any other candidate for that matter, likewise, neither will I promote that you vote for any candidate either. Your vote is your choice, and as such, it should be made as you desire.

I would just like to point out that for those that hold the right to vote for the next city mayor, please please please consider the candidate for everything they support and oppose before voting. You should assess the "complete package" of a candidate and what they are offering and weighing the pros and cons of them all to determine which servers your interest the best. Therefore, please do not just vote based on one claim relating to one issue. Without a doubt in my mind, transportation is a major issue affecting Toronto, but there are other issues that should weigh in to your decision with just as much importance.

Happy Voting

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
As nice as Toronto is/could be.... The people who run this place are complete brain dead morons.

Nice to see the promises... will they be kept though?
as shown before, no. Its all bs
Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaselva View Post

I swear that dimwit of a Mayor wouldn't be able to hold a job down in a fast food joint in the private sector.
" can i get a burger and fries please?"

"Sure. Here are noodles and a salad. I think you want this instead"
Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
E36is
'OldSchool..'

After last years 'garbage strike' and overall mismanagement of city funds by Miller and his cronies, Ive finally had enough, and purchased a house in halton region. But i'll still be connected with GTA somewhat, as i'll still have my condo in north york.

If i could, i'll definitely vote for Rob Ford in the fall.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
MarkD
Banned

I heard that Adam Giamboner is going to add an "orgy car" on each subway train, and a special section on buses and streetcars where you can meet others for a quickie. Now "ride the TTC" will have a whole new meaning.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
I think it's already at least 30 years too late. Toronto is not a so-called "world class" city and never will be. There is absolutely no chance that Toronto will ever have a proper transit system, not in my lifetime and probably not in your grandchildren's either.

Just have a look at the system that even a place like Moscow has:

Last edited by MarkD; 04-07-2010 at 02:31 PM.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: