Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

Obd2 cat removal

I am planning to get a mid-pipe and turn it into a track pipe(remove cats). I'm definately not willing to pay any money for oxygen sensor simulators. I've been reading up on NON-Fouler nipples to insert into the threads before the o2 which raises the probe and tricks the ecu to think cats are doing their job. According to pre-cat and post-cat readings, the car is always adjusting air/fuel mixtures. Going past the point of just keeping the check engine light. I would love to have the car running at its full potential. What would create the perfect conditions to have optimal air/fuel, as if the catalytic converters are burning everything they need to be? Basically what do the simulators do for you, send the proper voltage to make the car always run as if everything is getting burned off? What voltage is that? Are the o2 simulators even that efficient? Am I not thinking about something very obvious ? Throw some ideas on how to make the perfect track pipe setup.
sparkybp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

The more I'm reading it seems that post-cat does not adjust fuel trim. Is it strictly a feedback system? What good is it for? I almost feel as if all these resources could be wrong. OBD2 wouldn't add this second sensor just to let the ecu know the cats aren't doing their job unless they were going to have this condition adjust something in the motor to reduce polution, such as maybe running leaner?
Old 04-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
sthomas
BMWCC 4928, BMWCCA 349578

I would recommend a custom tune - that shuts the O2 sensors off. Talk with MarkD here on Max.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read they're only for feedback. And there are different types of bypass systems, some change the signal to be within the proper range, and others just put the sensor further away from the pipe so less gas gets to them, lowering the reading.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkybp View Post
I would love to have the car running at its full potential..
Why do people think that increasing power is the way to go for track.

If you are going to do 1/4 mile runs I could see cat removal.
If you are doing track days I would think of better suspension or even tires.
Good tires would increase your laptimes alot more then any cat removal.

That's just my 2cents
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

I've got a 328 with complete m3 suspension with 90 000 kms on it, with general exclaim uhp tires with full thread. Going to be dialing in some serious negative camber on the front and rear(adjustable control arms). For begginer laps that's good enough for me. My midpipe is damaged and so I need to come up with a new one for cheaper. Got ahold of ahigh flow cat for free with 2 in and 2 outs. Thing is I will want to open the motor up quite a bit in near future so I also want a free flow exhaust to get the most out of the ecu tune that will come with the motor upgrades. So that's my plan...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
What are you going to do when you need an emissions test? Also from what I've seen in the past you're more than likely going to lose torque with a cat delete and make your car slower.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Durga
1st Gear Newbie

I wanted to bring this back to life.

What does cat deletes do for an e46 M3?

Thanks
Sheldon
Durga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
dcramer
5th Gear Member

AFAIK, the cats on an e46 are on the headers. Sounds like alot of pain for not much gain.

getting more HP out of S54B32 is not cheap.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Durga
1st Gear Newbie

I was thinking of some Catless headers, like eBay headers
Durga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
dcramer
5th Gear Member

You have too much idle time and or money on your hands. Spend your money on a track day!

You will not notice the HP difference. Based on my engine I doubt you can get the headers out easily without pulling the engine. Either way its more work than it looks like.

buy a set of tires with the money and use em up on the track

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: