Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

same boat as you are friend... just need to make sure my M20 is in good shape first.

i will be going through the same process of taking the body apart and fixing rust spots as I paint them.. I also got a nice hole in the ground on the passenger side that i need to take care off.

I will be painting the car myself using the rustolium method and the roller. I know i will be flamed for that by many but i really dont want to spend couple of grands on body work.. Might if the my job fails..

Who is painting your car and how are you welding things ?

AL
Aloush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #17
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Don't plan on ever trying to sell the car afterward because you won't get anything for it painting it like that.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #18
elroy
2nd Gear Member

well my neighbour has a welder soo im hoping to borrow that and i've done some welding before. Will do some reading up and ask questions and try that myself. Painting will be left to the pros, dont have a compressor and what not.

and thanks Brent, will look into that when im ready. Still need to rip it apart some more, dam this cold weather
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
elroy
2nd Gear Member

alright so onto next problem, when trying to take off front bumper, got one bolt out but the second was rusted on and the head ended up snapping off. Is there any way to get the bolt out other than having to drill it out....it isn't exactly short. One of my rear ones are seized so im thinking i'll have to heat it, just have to be careful since the bumpers are plastic.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #20
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy View Post
alright so onto next problem, when trying to take off front bumper, got one bolt out but the second was rusted on and the head ended up snapping off. Is there any way to get the bolt out other than having to drill it out....it isn't exactly short. One of my rear ones are seized so im thinking i'll have to heat it, just have to be careful since the bumpers are plastic.
yup! had the exact same problem. There is a couple ways you can get around this problem: 1) don't bother trying to drill that one. You'll grow a beard btt you even remotely get to it.
Use a small screw driver and bend the tabs down trying not to break any to remove the rear center impact strip. You get access to the plastic rivets and if you pull the side covers back slightly you can access two more hidden. I believe this is also applicable on the front one too.

2) REAR bumper - get under the car and heat the nuts up good on the bumper shock mount and take your socket or wrench and remove the shock nuts. This will let you take the whole assembly out. Then you can work on getting the broken bolt or seized one out now that the bumper is off. 2 on the left are underneath the car and on the right one is underneath and one inside the trunk. once off you can also remove the bumper shock mounting plate from the back of the rebar if you find you can't work with enough space. this will leave you with the shock and mounting hardware together. then you can heat and hammer all you want. (Grin) after all, you'll probably be cursing and will need to vent all that anger off. LOL
It is kinda tight under there and you will have to loosen the exhaust straps and drop the muffler down to have better access.

Try not to heat as you'll most likely melt the plastic - trust me I'm speaking from experience.

one more thing. Don't bother going to the dealership for those studs. I almost farted a lung when they told me what each one cost.
I think it was either 20.00 or 70.00 for 1 bolt. You can probably size it up with something similar. Some were Hex and some models came Torx.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Last edited by Ceeker; 04-11-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
elroy
2nd Gear Member

anyone know what kind of kit this is. Went to see the car today and its screwed on. I want to use it on mine but mold it in.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ196477675
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #22
Ceeker

Quote:
anyone know what kind of kit this is. Went to see the car today and its screwed on. I want to use it on mine but mold it in.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ196477675
no idea; the guy's a buddy of mine..saw the car last week. wasn't a nice job installing it. lol.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 04-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #23
elroy
2nd Gear Member

hahha yea no kidding. Its all screwed on. I got there and im like wtf who did this. But that cars so dam clean (well compared to mine lol). And hes got another one in the garage....GRRR!!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #24
elroy
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking to get an electric die grinder to cut metal out of the car, anyone recommend a decent one. I know air grinder is better but I have a compressor nor do I want to buy one just for a grinder.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #25
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Just get a cheap Jobmate dremel-like tool from Canadian Tire, they're like $20 with some attachments. I used one to cut a 3'x8" hole in my valance without issue.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #26
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Air Comp works amazing.. I practically cut my whole floor in a matter of minutes. Only part that I dislike is hammering away on the sheet metal and getting it to form the original floor. Oh well =\ Black&Decker has some nice hand held grinders that come with like 100 piece sets and have some metal cutting wheels.. works amazing when you can adjust the speed and not to mention its the size of a flash light so you can get into tight spots pretty nicely.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
elroy
2nd Gear Member

im looking at this right now. i wonder how many of those are cutoff wheels....

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #28
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
im looking at this right now. i wonder how many of those are cutoff wheels....

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
I see 6 cut off wheels.. Enough to do the whole floor if you wanted to. Cut off wheels get eaten like crazy.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #29
razzor
2nd Gear Member

you only want the reinforced cut off wheels for the dremel, and wear safety glasses or you will be blinded.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: