Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Sightings
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Gerk
2nd Gear Member

Dammerung spotted me today (but didn't know it)

Too funny .. he left a note on the windshield about joining maxbimmer But lo and behold, I'm already here!
Gerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

lol
Old 03-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Clean E38 standing right across from my work place...looks really nice so i thought id share it with others and ask him to join us at maxbimmer

Die Dämmerung..............when dusk began to fall, when dawn begins to break
Dammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Gerk
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Dammerung My e38 is currently sitting parked on the road in front of my house with a dead water pump (I think), ugg Weekends are not the best time for a breakdown (not that there's ever a good time), waited 1.5 hours for a proper tow truck yesterday to get it back home (I wouldn't let the 2 different guys who stopped with sling trucks pick it up!)
Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member

Damn!! evil eyes i tell ya what were the symptoms? did the on board computer tell you or did the car just stall, overheat??? let me know. I heard this is quite the common problem Im currently at 92k. Wonder if i should just replace the whole thing by 100k. Im going to drive a lot lot lot in summer this time :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
Thanks Dammerung My e38 is currently sitting parked on the road in front of my house with a dead water pump (I think), ugg Weekends are not the best time for a breakdown (not that there's ever a good time), waited 1.5 hours for a proper tow truck yesterday to get it back home (I wouldn't let the 2 different guys who stopped with sling trucks pick it up!)

Die Dämmerung..............when dusk began to fall, when dawn begins to break
Dammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Gerk
2nd Gear Member

The car told my wife when it was overheating ("check coolant temperature") and started to spew out steam from the overflow, she pulled over right away and called me. It took a long time to cool down, there was no leakage, etc. from hoses or anything and the rad was still mostly full. Once it did cool down it could start up again, but it would get really hot really fast again. Sounds like a water pump to me, no flow == too much heat. It's also common with e38's (or so I read). Also the temperature gauge when you first turn the key into position 1 shows a normal temperature, but once the electronics kick in a few seconds later the gauge goes right over to full red (even though it's not hot). The car no longer warns about the coolant temperature. From what I've read it sounds like all the symptoms. It's going into bimmersport as soon as I get an appt and get it there.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
If you turn the heat on full is the air hot?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Gerk
2nd Gear Member

No. I tried that when it was sitting on the side of the road overheated and the air wasn't hot at all.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

it is the water pump. happened to me the same way.

when getting a new water pump, rather than going oem and getting the one with a plastic piece that will fail again down the road, replace it with the aftermarket water pump that has the metal piece.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
Gerk
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740-iLL View Post
it is the water pump. happened to me the same way.

when getting a new water pump, rather than going oem and getting the one with a plastic piece that will fail again down the road, replace it with the aftermarket water pump that has the metal piece.
Thanks, that sounds like the way to go! Just arranging a tow right now to get it into bimmersport.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
Gerk
2nd Gear Member

All done. New Rad, water pump and thermostat. The dreaded rad break at the top hose connection. On the up side nice new metal water pump and not that plastic core one! Yay for bimmersport once again.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerk View Post
All done. New Rad, water pump and thermostat. The dreaded rad break at the top hose connection. On the up side nice new metal water pump and not that plastic core one! Yay for bimmersport once again.
That is great!

I have to do my rad since it is leaking right now. How much did that cost you? and should I be doing my thermostat the same time?

thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
Gerk
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read online on other forums the thermostat and the rad kind of go hand-in-hand so it might not be a bad idea. Ask Charlie or Jon and they will probably have better advice for you than me (the mechanical ludite!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: