Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Exclamation E36 Idle Issue

Yesterday my e36 318 started to act up a bit. I think it may be the IAC, but not totally sure.

First, the check engine light comes on while I'm driving. I discover that if I let the throttle out all the way, the check engine light goes out. a few seconds later, the light comes on again.

Then, when I get into Windsor, and stop at a light, the rpm's start going crazy. The rpm revs up to 1500, then down to almost 0, then goes back to normal.

I come to another light, stop, and same thing, but this time; the rpm's actually drop to 0, and the car stalls.

I start the car again, and the rpm are still going up and down. I have to try to keep the rpm at 1000 to keep from stalling. I go to take off, and the car stalls.

I have to push the rpm up to about 2 grand in order to take off.

Once driving again, I notice that the fuel consumption gauge, is sitting at 25-20 mpg in the city, in 4th and 5th gear. On the highway again, the gauge reads the same.

The problem has gotten worse since then, and I am not driving the car because of this. also as I take off, I can hear what sounds like a belt slipping. Don't know if that has anything to do with the issue or not.

I checked my air filter, and also removed the filter, to see if air was being sucked in, that all seems fine.

Any ideas, would be great guys.

Thanks in advance.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

bump....anyone?

flickr
Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

More the likely its the IAC, it could probably use a good cleaning. If you can't find a good DIY for bimmers on cleaning it. Look up a ICV DIY, i've done it to my m52, it's located under the intake manifold, more or less of an itch to get to and screw with.I'm pretty sure I removed my airbox and MAF sensors and the boot so i have lots of room to get under to it.
sparkybp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

check your intake boot first, if there is holes and unmetered air getting in after the MAF sensor your gas milage and idle will be like that, also check for other vacum leaks. ICV usually only messes things up at idle and not while driving.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

I would check for air leaks first. I had a bad hose under my intake manifold. The rpm's were almost 0 then up to 1,500 and back. However I also had the same problem with my MAFS sensor. You need to get a code from your car to narrow down the problem.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

I forgot about this thread, sorry guys. The problem has gone away. The car has been fine since the day after I posted this thread. I cracks and found nothing. It worries me though, that the problem just went away, so Tuesday I'll be finding out about getting a code reader hooked up to see if it's throwing anything at me.

Thanks guys, I'll update on what I find out Tuesday.

flickr
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigIS View Post
I forgot about this thread, sorry guys. The problem has gone away. The car has been fine since the day after I posted this thread. I cracks and found nothing. It worries me though, that the problem just went away, so Tuesday I'll be finding out about getting a code reader hooked up to see if it's throwing anything at me.

Thanks guys, I'll update on what I find out Tuesday.
Well then it can't be an air leak. It must be electrical.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Well I have OBDI, and Part Source can only read OBDII, and I dont have cash I want to spend on a Code reader, so it's gonna go to my friends shop for a read sometime this week.

flickr
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Turn ignition on, then press gas pedal 5 times. this will initiate the flash codes for the OBDI system.

The CEL light will start flashing followed by a pause and then start flashing again. Count how many times it flashes per segment. That will give you your code.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness95m3 View Post
Turn ignition on, then press gas pedal 5 times. this will initiate the flash codes for the OBDI system.

The CEL light will start flashing followed by a pause and then start flashing again. Count how many times it flashes per segment. That will give you your code.
I was told about this, but it hasn't worked for me, I may have been doing it wrong. Do i turn the car on, or turn the ignition to battery?

flickr
Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Well I tried the flash code thing. I got 1221. I did some research and found out that it is probably and O2 sensor. Would this cause the problem I was having?

flickr
Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #12
sproule905
6th Gear Member

erratic idle wouldn't be caused by a faulty O2 sensor.. sound electrical.. get it looked at cause with the change in mother nature things get dried up and then moistened now a days!

GL

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:19 AM   #13
sparkybp
Tortures BMWs.

The generic code readers are usually horrible for bmw diagnostics. I'm simple terms I could probably say bmw speaks its own language. I've had mine read a code that definately pointed to an o2 sensor, and when scanned with a tool that reads bmw language it turned out to be a vaccum line it pointed me to. Check under the hood for small hoses around the vanos area between your oil filter housing and the vnos unit. Probably black with blue stripe, check its condition, also check the rubber boot connecting between the intake manifold and maf. In the end it could be an o2 sensor seeing as the way your car was reacting when going to idle letting off the gas... It switches to a different air to fuel ratio than when under acceleration and the feedback it gets from o2 is definately taken into account. Did you maybe use lower octane gas than normal that day? Maybe drive through dusty or whatever kind of environment etc?
sparkybp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Well, the car has been fine till last night. Same thing as before. Both times, I have been on the 401, except this time, it took a little longer for the car to start acting up. It was colder last night than the previous time this happened. Also I can smell fumes in and out of the car, and smells to me like she is running lean. That being said, I'm leaning towards O2 sensor. I'm going to see about disconnecting O2 sensor #1, and see how the car idles. I know my fuel consumption will not be good, but I'll also see how she runs on the road.

flickr
Old 06-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
bmw-dinan36
1st Gear Newbie

+1 on the o2 sensors.. it reads the air fuel ratio... if it is faulty.. it will cause erratic idling.. ICV, maf ,02 sensors.. vacuum leaks.. are most common causes of rough idling. try cleaning ICV.. clean maf with electrical cleaner and replace o2 sensor.. or check your cat! sometimes a clogged cat can cause idling problems for.. it will make ur 02 sensor faulty
bmw-dinan36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: