Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #91
sb_600
5th Gear Member

sweet! I stand corrected...

I max out my car on rocky road all the time, but I do less than 200 because of undersized tires. I'm thinking its somewhere around 170, but not sure. It's weird having to let off because you're bouncing off the red limiter in 5th lol.

I haven't had a chance to try it with the new starspecs though (slightly oversized) - i'll have to wait until sept. 6th
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #92
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Were you running Dunlop * Specs at auto-x? That's what I am running too.. is it me or they really impressive tires? They're better in the *rain* than my old Kuhmo's in the dry!

What rear end's in there now?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #93
sb_600
5th Gear Member

yeah that's what i've got - 255/40R17 on all corners. I think they're awesome, although the only thing i can compare them to are kumho ecsta xs in a 205/50R15. I've heard they're almost comparable to an R888 too - everyone agrees that those are some of the best "cheater" street tires out there. In that size, i'm not worried about overheating them at the track either.

For the rear end, I'm not sure exactly but it's either a 3.91 or a 4.10 LSD.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #94
sb_600
5th Gear Member

For those who are interested, here are the videos of my fastest run in each configuration:

Morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qRWZ2gBBsY

Afternoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EesiEBYJqDM

Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #95
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
For those who are interested, here are the videos of my fastest run in each configuration:

Morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qRWZ2gBBsY

Afternoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EesiEBYJqDM
Cool vids!!
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #96
msix
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Klaus would have to be mindful of what class of car he's in, and a BBK puts you entirely into a higher category. My stockers were well over 450*F at Calabogie with 25 minute runs, which was right at the limit for the pads. I've overheated my brakes on hilly runs in QC before.
hehe, not really correct. My car is classified in D/Mod, this is Modified class = I can do pretty well anything I want with the car. Brakes are my least worries.
I run on stock calipers and Brembo blank rotors and Hawk HP+ for Auot-X and Hawk HT10 for the track. I have propper vents right up to the caliper plate, this makes a big difference. In the rear I also have just stock rotors and calipers and always have Hawk HT10 on.

I do not have any issues with braking, NEVER at Auto-X and also no problems on the track ... and I run a 2:25 flat at Calabogie (allthough I dont get up to 200 on the back straight)

Friend of mine installed a BBK kit on his E30 a couple of years ago and had a hard time to find the propper braking balance, that BBK kit sure improved the braking on the track but he also locked up the front a lot.

85 325es
CASC-OR Regional Auto-X Series 2009 and 2010 1st place in D/Mod
Ontario Time Attack Series 2011 1st place in SGT2
msix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #97
everlast

Thanks for clearing this up Klaus. I guess we'll see what my balance is like. UUC spent a lot of time getting the internal dimensions of the front caliper correct so as to decrease pedal travel and keep balance the same.

I'm not sure why everyone jumped on this little tidbit so much anyway.. The *driver* (ME!) will be the weakest link of my car on the track or autox, no questions, and I said I *wasn't* installing the BBK lol.

I must have misread the points system, or read an old post about it. I understood that each improvement accumulates points, which moves you closer to a new class. Back then, between FI, ECU, coilovers and tire width I would have jumped to A. I know my car will be hopelessly uncompetitive; that's NOT why I drive or built this car.

I built it because I loved doing so, and I drive it because I love driving it. Nothing more. No glory or bragging rights. I'd be happiest with a giant abandoned airport all to myself and a timing system.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #98
bmwconnect
BMW Tuner

Quote:
Thanks for clearing this up Klaus. I guess we'll see what my balance is like. UUC spent a lot of time getting the internal dimensions of the front caliper correct so as to decrease pedal travel and keep balance the same.

I'm not sure why everyone jumped on this little tidbit so much anyway.. The *driver* (ME!) will be the weakest link of my car on the track or autox, no questions, and I said I *wasn't* installing the BBK lol.

I must have misread the points system, or read an old post about it. I understood that each improvement accumulates points, which moves you closer to a new class. Back then, between FI, ECU, coilovers and tire width I would have jumped to A. I know my car will be hopelessly uncompetitive; that's NOT why I drive or built this car.

I built it because I loved doing so, and I drive it because I love driving it. Nothing more. No glory or bragging rights. I'd be happiest with a giant abandoned airport all to myself and a timing system.
well said!
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #99
dannyb
4th Gear Member

Im pretty sure brakes are open and dont count as a mod. I have HP+ in front and HPS back and it brakes pretty good. Klaus got any solution for the squealing of the HP+?
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #100
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I'd be happiest with a giant abandoned airport all to myself and a timing system.
When you find said airport, let me know!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #101
everlast

Just spent some time reading this years classification rules.. Boy, the document I read must have been read old; it's nothing like this. Anyway, from what I can tell I'd be Street Prep with 7 points. (4 for turbo, 3 for suspension modifications.) I'm gonna read more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
When you find said airport, let me know!
I said I wanted ALONE TIME at the airport.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #102
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I said I wanted ALONE TIME at the airport.
You said you needed a timing system...I could be the timing system
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #103
everlast

True, clever!!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #104
carjoe
6th Gear Member

There's an app for that...
I believe there was an airport in Embrun but I'm not sure it's accessible. 8)

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #105
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Just spent some time reading this years classification rules.. Boy, the document I read must have been read old; it's nothing like this. Anyway, from what I can tell I'd be Street Prep with 7 points. (4 for turbo, 3 for suspension modifications.) I'm gonna read more.
You may have been reading MCO's classification system. They do it differently than SCCA or regionals to limit the number of classes (to 5) - E, D, C, B, and A.

15 prep points, and you bump up a class. For example, my e36 is a base D-class car, but with my 29 prep points, I'm at the top of C. If I do anything else, I get bumped to B. Like you, I started prepping my car to be the way I wanted it and counted the points after - I got lucky There's a few things I'm holding out on right now because I do want to stay competive though, and it helps keep the budget in check too

Last edited by sb_600; 08-05-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: