Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
mikemac
99 ///M3

Another important thing, when you are with and instructor/club you are still insured on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msix View Post
I am always VERY hesitant to recommend a Lapping day for Novices. Lapping days are good for experienced drivers to get more seat time. For people that have never been on a track or even for those with very limited experience, Lapping days are dangerous. You just let a bunch of (inexperienced) drivers on a track without guidance is always looking for problems.

Performance Driving Schools such as the BMW School are maybe a little bit more expensive, but you get a TRAINED Instructor with you for the whole day, have classroom sessions where you learn the basics of car control ...etc and an Instructor is sitting all day / weekend with you in the car to teach you to become a better driver.
If anyone is looking for a easy way on how to make the car faster, the cheapest and best modification is to train the driver.
mikemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
Another important thing, when you are with and instructor/club you are still insured on the track.
Not alwasy the case ... with the BMW schools, yes. Others, it varies, and usually not. Don't count on insurance!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Can vary policy to policy too. Typically though, where there are strict "no timing device" rules, it means that the insurance company would treat the accident as an accident on private property.

That's why Calabogie is (was?) so strict with having no timing device: to ensure its not mistaken as a race.

Most companies will frown upon it when asked, and many will not cover a modified vehicle at all though. Don't track anything you can't afford to lose would be my motto.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Can vary policy to policy too. Typically though, where there are strict "no timing device" rules, it means that the insurance company would treat the accident as an accident on private property.

That's why Calabogie is (was?) so strict with having no timing device: to ensure its not mistaken as a race.

Most companies will frown upon it when asked, and many will not cover a modified vehicle at all though. Don't track anything you can't afford to lose would be my motto.
True but think Klaus was hinting more on the aspect of "problems" if say a $2000 dollar track beater with a bad/inexperienced driver ends up writing off a 08 911 Turbo type scenario.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #20
everlast

Ooo, ouch, yeah.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #21
msix
2nd Gear Member

When I am referring to potential problems at Lapping Days, it has more to do with the fact that Lapping days are not as expensive as Driving Schools for the obvious reasons, like most of the time no Insurance for the event and no instructors / Classroom to book. Therefore they are more attractive to younger folks. Plus most (young) male driver believes they know everything about driving and just want to floor it, race with their buddy, etc... things you will NOT be able to do at a Driving School.

I have been to Lapping days where total Novices were let out alone with NO clue how to handle a car that goes at speeds of over 150 km/h, it only takes a few laps until the crash. Even on a relative "slow" track like Shannonville, the evening Lapping is always very entertaining. A bunch of young folks renting the track for three hours, no rules, no helmets, drifting, hanging out the window, passing anywhere, unsafe cars ... I have seen it all.

Car to car accidents are very rare at Driving schools and BMW Club events have never had any ... this and a few other reasons is why insurance companies have almost always covered even ON-TRACK (single car) accidents that happend at BMW schools.

85 325es
CASC-OR Regional Auto-X Series 2009 and 2010 1st place in D/Mod
Ontario Time Attack Series 2011 1st place in SGT2
msix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #22
everlast

Quote:
I have been to Lapping days where total Novices were let out alone with NO clue how to handle a car that goes at speeds of over 150 km/h, it only takes a few laps until the crash. Even on a relative "slow" track like Shannonville, the evening Lapping is always very entertaining. A bunch of young folks renting the track for three hours, no rules, no helmets, drifting, hanging out the window, passing anywhere, unsafe cars ... I have seen it all.
Wow, that is something I do not want to be near in my car. I didn't put hundreds of hours into this thing to have someone rack it up.

I'm thinking we need to start our own small group for autox, dragstrip, driving school days and organized cruises. Just a small group of us would be best so we don't have to worry about people we don't want around us in the group.

We could do karting events together too.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
msix
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Wow, that is something I do not want to be near in my car. I didn't put hundreds of hours into this thing to have someone rack it up.

I'm thinking we need to start our own small group for autox, dragstrip, driving school days and organized cruises. Just a small group of us would be best so we don't have to worry about people we don't want around us in the group.

We could do karting events together too.
Hey!! I know a group just like that ... BMW Club ... lots of good help and support there to go to these kinds of events ...

85 325es
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #24
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Just to be clear here, MCO events are NOT the ones Klaus is talking about ... MCO lapping is very controlled, insured (liability) and idiocy of any kind is not tolarated.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #25
everlast

Quote:
Hey!! I know a group just like that ... BMW Club ... lots of good help and support there to go to these kinds of events ...
Already a "card carrying member". Was thinking of something little more niche.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #26
msix
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Just to be clear here, MCO events are NOT the ones Klaus is talking about ... MCO lapping is very controlled, insured (liability) and idiocy of any kind is not tolarated.
Absolutely agree Arek, the MCO has some of the best open Lapping days for excellent prices available .... still not the best starting point for Novices trying this the very first time. MCO will have a few experienced drivers at the track that will hopp in a car with you and give you a few pointer for one session, maybe someone else will drive with you for another session if there is someone available, etc... great feedback and great practice .. if you already know what you are doing.

The OP was really looking for information where is the best place to get started in the Motorsport and I still think a SCHOOL is the best. The better place is yet some basic car control lessons in a season of Auto-X.

85 325es
Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #27
msix
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Already a "card carrying member". Was thinking of something little more niche.
... it would be fun to be able to do that in small numbers .... legally, sanctioned and inexpensive.
Try find a Parking lot that would let you hold an Auto-X on a Sunday morning.
Try to get Insurance to cover you as an ORGANIZER
Try to get track time for a low price with a small number of participants ....

There is a LOT of Volunteer work involved to get anything like that up and running ... guess how I know...

Like I said before, if you want to do any type of Motorsport, join a Club, there is one out there for every type, MCO has groups for (almost) all sectors of Motorsport, no Drifting or Drag racing ... but get involved, the structure is there, Insurance is in place for most activities and if you can bring in some good numbers, heck they may open this type of Motorsport up.

Two years ago a member in the MCO asked if he can organize a Rally-X, which is a more - or - less an Off Road Auto-X. He got the go-ahead and organized it, initially he had some pretty good numbers the first year, but unfortunately did not have the support he needed to continue Rally-X for this year. YOU CAN NOT DO IT ALONE.

You want it, get involved, help and help more.

85 325es

Last edited by msix; 04-02-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #28
everlast

Oh my goodness I didn't mean that, I mean something like the "Race-Then-Coffee" club who would go as an organized group to the already organized events. More like a posse, just a bunch of guys who you trust around your car and who you'd trust with the health of your back at a karting event.

But we'd typically be able to count each other in at events like autox, etc, at least for the support of showing up to help each other along, etc. Basically, the group we have talking in this thread, doing what we're doing in this thread only in real life.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #29
msix
2nd Gear Member

^^^ that's a good idea, it always is more fun with as group than standing there alone trying to figure out on what's next. I still can not explain WHY I am the only BMW or at least the only E30 at most events (locally or Regionally) ... these cars are the best and one of the cheapest and easiest ways to modify .... and once you have the right recepie, almost unbeatable .

Come out to an Auto-X this season, I hope I will be in town for a few more MCO events, I will help you ...
The Subaru Club (NCSC in Ottawa and SPDA in Toronto) is a great example for a Club that always works as a group at different events so it really brings out the Novices as it makes it easy for them.
I tried to get more interest in the BMW Club around here, but seemed to be always the only one there. Now there is another E30 running very strong in Ottawa, but he is not a member...

85 325es
Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
dannyb
4th Gear Member

subaru club does track events and its not too crowded
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: