Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #31
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi577 View Post
Sorry to disappoint
But the name of the game is "stay true to your share holders" maximizing the profit, Driving the cost down.
Quoted for emphasis.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #32
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstearnsy View Post
This is a retarded theory. Things like Dynamic Stability Control save lives. You do realize there is a button to turn it off if you feel like you need to slide it around right?

Care to educate us all on the "heritage" and "respect" that your 318 has earned since you don't seem impressed by legends like the M3?
Actually the e30 318is has more in common with origional m3 then anyother car. It was brought to north America for only one year but was sold from 89 to 91 in the rest of the world. It's widley known as the junor M as it's displays the same handling carteristics but with a little less power.

Good for starters for you???

Now I never said I don't like the m3. I don't like cars with co puters running everything when it comes to handling and drivers input.

Holy shit. There is a button to turn it off? So much fun everytime you start your car that you have to turn all the systems off to really drive it

The only reason these systems save lives is cause of people who think they can drive like a pro. It's idiot control They shouldn't have a liecence in the first place if they think they can handle a car like that in the first place
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #33
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Actually the e30 318is has more in common with origional m3 then anyother car. It was brought to north America for only one year but was sold from 89 to 91 in the rest of the world. It's widley known as the junor M as it's displays the same handling carteristics but with a little less power.

Now I never said I don't like the m3. I don't like cars with co puters running everything when it comes to handling and drivers input.

Holy shit. There is a button to turn it off? So much fun everytime you start your car that you have to turn all the systems off to really drive it

The only reason these systems save lives is cause of people who think they can drive like a pro. It's idiot control They shouldn't have a liecence in the first place if they think they can handle a car like that in the first place
Why would you be attempting to drift your car on PUBLIC ROADS every time you start it? Your car also has all sorts of unnecessary safety systems that make it idiot proof. Those silly futuristic ABS brakes. And seat belts. SEAT BELTS!!! UGH. Just adding more weight to that big heavy E30 of yours. Why would you need seat belts? Needing seat belts implies that you're such a lousy driver you're going to crash it every time you drive it. Clearly you ain't hardcore unless you drive a 1930s BMW. Now that was a driver's car. Nothing to save you from yourself in that one.....
mstearnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #34
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

You lost you politicaly correct aspect when you used the word retarded in
the same statement as saves lives.

Turning those off has nothing to do with drifting on public
roads.

This is an enthusiat site. Sorry but 99.9 percent of bmws bought in the last 10 years are not bought for real driving

you may do better on e90 post.

Oh by the way. Rudy said we have been missing drama so thought I'd mess around a bit

LOL
Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #35
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

That's a terrible way of thinking, the fact is that technology is advancing and BMW, a leader in that field won't fall back just to please the 1% of their drivers that don't want any sort of electronic aids. You don't need to turn them off unless you really push the car, which any sane person wouldn't do on public roads. ASC has saved my ass a few times and I'm not even a bad driver. Not everybody races cars regularly. You're a perfect example of an elitist that thinks everybody should drive barebones cars because you like them. Do you really think that a company should change their business tactics just to please a non-customer?
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #36
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Who said anything about not being an enthusiast? I've got a 330Ci-M as my winter beater and an M3 Competition package that I think about unleashing for spring a dozen times a day. But I'm realistic in realizing that time marches onward. Our differing attitudes toward today's BMW's vs your E30 or E36 is exactly the same as 20 years ago. Guys who like a 2002tii will mock you for driving your heavy, soft, comfortable, spacious, no-heritage E30 with it's huge, powerful 4 cylinder.

PS a 2006 M3 is not an E90. Might wanna read up on that a bit
Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #37
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
That's a terrible way of thinking, the fact is that technology is advancing and BMW, a leader in that field won't fall back just to please the 1% of their drivers that don't want any sort of electronic aids. You don't need to turn them off unless you really push the car, which any sane person wouldn't do on public roads. ASC has saved my ass a few times and I'm not even a bad driver. Not everybody races cars regularly. You're a perfect example of an elitist that thinks everybody should drive barebones cars because you like them. Do you really think that a company should change their business tactics just to please a non-customer?
+1
Time marches on. BMW's were advanced for their time, even 20 years ago. Why stop that trend?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #38
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Turning those off has nothing to do with drifting on public
roads.
You said you have to turn off DSC EVERY TIME you start the car to "really drive it". DSC prevents the car from understeering or oversteering, so are you telling me that
a) you start your car only on the race track and never drive on public roads or
b) you feel you should have the option to understeer or oversteer at your leisure, every time you do drive the car on public roads?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #39
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
E30's are lighter than E36's and up...so what if someone drives a 318? it still handles nice, and if you don't want to fork out a huge fuel bill every month, because you do a lot of driving, what's wrong with that. BMW's are not all about power. I still have a lot of fun bumbling around with my no power 4 banger. It doesn't matter what BMW you drive, that's not what this thread is about.

Look at how successful Porsche is. The have kept the same basic design for how long? They have just refined it over the years to make it better, and more appealing to the potential owners. They also have put a lot of crazy awesome tech into their cars, and it's great. BMW's also have a lot of awesome tech in their cars too. What if Porsche were to make a front wheel drive car, or put the engine of the 911 turbo (or something) in the front of the car? Would that be a real Porsche to you? Not to me it wouldn't!

BMW's, like Porsche's are RWD. That's just how it is, and should remain. I don't care if BMW makes anything, as long as it is rear wheel drive.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #40
mstearnsy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigIS View Post
E30's are lighter than E36's and up...so what if someone drives a 318? it still handles nice, and if you don't want to fork out a huge fuel bill every month, because you do a lot of driving, what's wrong with that. BMW's are not all about power. I still have a lot of fun bumbling around with my no power 4 banger. It doesn't matter what BMW you drive, that's not what this thread is about.

Look at how successful Porsche is. The have kept the same basic design for how long? They have just refined it over the years to make it better, and more appealing to the potential owners. They also have put a lot of crazy awesome tech into their cars, and it's great. BMW's also have a lot of awesome tech in their cars too. What if Porsche were to make a front wheel drive car, or put the engine of the 911 turbo (or something) in the front of the car? Would that be a real Porsche to you? Not to me it wouldn't!

BMW's, like Porsche's are RWD. That's just how it is, and should remain. I don't care if BMW makes anything, as long as it is rear wheel drive.
Very intelligent post. Thanks for contributing. I agree in many ways. I don't want a FWD car. For that matter I also don't want an automatic. If I had my way, even a minivan would have a manual transmission! But I'm not deluded into thinking BMW is going down the wrong path for giving the buying public what they want. The majority of them want automatics, and xDrive, and lots of luxury comforts. BMW gives them that and they make money to bless us with 8500 RPMs for the people who want hard core cars.

EDIT: BTW, some very good Porsche's didn't subscribe to the theory of rear/rear like the 911. Maybe BMW will ROCK this FWD thing and convince us all. Apparently there are a few decent FWD cars. Mini's are a riot to drive and I guess things like an Integra Type R were pretty amazing too. Have faith that BMW knows what they are doing.

Last edited by mstearnsy; 03-25-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #41
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

ok so now that i am home from work, I can type a proper response, of my personal regards to all this....

First off dsc and traction control install a faulseness of controling a vehicle. if these systems are activated, its because of driver error, and its being corrected because the driver is operating the vehicle beyond conditions, abbility and skill level. If the driver is operating the vehicle in a propper manner they should never be needed.

These systems do not teach drivers to respect the vehicle, rules of the roads or anything to do with safe driving, they cause bad unrespectful drivers to push a vehicle they can not handle.

now you should not compair them to seat belts and abs which save people from being in an collision or when a vehicle breaks.

BMW really has 2 division, luxury and Motorsport, which are very very different things.

The M badge is being placed on everything and anything lately, to sell cars that are not really performance vehicle.

As for the vehicles they make today, sorry power levels in HP and such are old news, they have been able to do that for a long time, the only reason they need more power is to offset the weight increase of all these new "safety" features.

the roads are not safer because of front wheel drive, awd, dsc,tc, or any off that. I drive 200 km a day back and forth from work, guess what the cars you see crashing all the time are because of shit drivers making mistakes on the road, and driving aggresivly around others.

I take pride in my driving record, I will drive spiritly when contition are there, but never in any way that would put anyone in danger. Wish I could feel that way around all the other drivers on the road today.

in closing yes, your right I was off on your car being an e90. its a bubble tea meet car that only comes out maybe 12 times a year to be parked and looked at right?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #42
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

"Guys who like a 2002tii will mock you for driving your heavy, soft, comfortable, spacious, no-heritage E30 with it's huge, powerful 4 cylinder."

LOL un ya cause the M10 got bigger and more powerful when they put it in the E30??

most guys I know who have a 2002 also have an e30!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #43
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstearnsy View Post
Maybe BMW will ROCK this FWD thing and convince us all. Apparently there are a few decent FWD cars. Mini's are a riot to drive and I guess things like an Integra Type R were pretty amazing too.
I agree there are some very great FWD cars, an yes the type R is pretty good. The focus is not any good here, but in Europe, they have the focus rs. I have family there, and they say it's a damn quick, and fast car.

I hope your right about BMW convincing us all. Although at the same time, I'm not against FWD, I had a FWD car for years, and wasn't that bad. VW R32 is a pretty good FWD car too, so I'm hoping that BMW knows what they are doing.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #44
ROCKETMAN
6th Gear Member

This is a good way of looking at it.

Richie, how many "new" BMW's did you buy?

If your answer is 0, (as it usually is with people with your mindset) tell me why should BMW give a dam about what you think?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #45
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
This is a good way of looking at it.

Richie, how many "new" BMW's did you buy?

If your answer is 0, (as it usually is with people with your mindset) tell me why should BMW give a dam about what you think?
Did I ever say they should give a dam about what I think....NO

I wouldn't buy a new one....its not what I look for in a car...nice audi in your sig.....guess they don't care about you either

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: