Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
faiz
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MARKHAM
Posts: 11
Post Shock/Strut rocking back and forth when braking

I've noticed that the car tends to rock back and forth when braking and its becoming annoying after replacing the shocks and strut (also replaced some of the suspension links).

Anyone ever see this before? I went from factory sls/edc to bilstein/eibach shocks/struts/springs!!!

Last edited by faiz; 02-24-2010 at 07:24 PM.
faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's
 
740-iLL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brampton
Posts: 1,067
Hmm, well if anything, it should be firmer after switching from SLS/EDC to springs and shocks.

The only thing I can think of is the Eibach springs are softer than the H&R counter parts.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @SEVEN40iL
740-iLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
bitchfree
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lynchburg, Tennessee
Posts: 110
did you change the rear arms on the front? the ones with the big bushing in them????
when i had this problem when i came to a stop and released the brake those were the arms i had to replace
bitchfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
faiz
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MARKHAM
Posts: 11
I have replaced the bushing in rear arms on the front for both sides. I noticed the rocking after I replaced the front struts so I'm thinking maybe its the front strut arms. Now that I think about it I think I saw a video on E38.og where the guy showed the tire going back and forth which would make it feel like the car rocking back and forth.... I'm going to look into this .... the car has only 126k seems a bit early but who knows.... its a heavy car.
faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
Dado 540
6th Gear Member
 
Dado 540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,972
Check that the strut nut in the strut tower didnt get undone a bit.
__________________
E39 540i Sport
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member
 
Dammerung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
I have replaced the bushing in rear arms on the front for both sides. I noticed the rocking after I replaced the front struts so I'm thinking maybe its the front strut arms. Now that I think about it I think I saw a video on E38.og where the guy showed the tire going back and forth which would make it feel like the car rocking back and forth.... I'm going to look into this .... the car has only 126k seems a bit early but who knows.... its a heavy car.
They are extremely heavy and IMO the suspension links wear out really fast. My outer tie rods and the center control arms died at 88K and trust me i drive her real careful. My friend whos garage i use to work on my car said they wore out faster due to the low profile tires and rims. Apparantly its harder on the whole suspension system. Anyways i had the similar rocking thing due to the center control arm (large busshing). I changed the whole front end suspension links....noticed the steering felt tighter as well. Id suggest doing a front end rebuild and tighten all the nuts to factory specs...that has to be done when the car is on the ground and not suspended. I believe its 75Nm for the centre arm.
__________________


Die Dämmerung..............when dusk began to fall, when dawn begins to break
Dammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's
 
740-iLL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brampton
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
They are extremely heavy and IMO the suspension links wear out really fast. My outer tie rods and the center control arms died at 88K and trust me i drive her real careful. My friend whos garage i use to work on my car said they wore out faster due to the low profile tires and rims. Apparantly its harder on the whole suspension system. Anyways i had the similar rocking thing due to the center control arm (large busshing). I changed the whole front end suspension links....noticed the steering felt tighter as well. Id suggest doing a front end rebuild and tighten all the nuts to factory specs...that has to be done when the car is on the ground and not suspended. I believe its 75Nm for the centre arm.
This is true. Bigger wheels and lowering will always add more stress to the rest of the suspension components. That is why I did a COMPLETE suspension upgrade. Now the suspension is very tight and solid.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @SEVEN40iL
740-iLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Dammerung
3rd Gear Member
 
Dammerung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 740-iLL View Post
This is true. Bigger wheels and lowering will always add more stress to the rest of the suspension components. That is why I did a COMPLETE suspension upgrade. Now the suspension is very tight and solid.
Upgrade? u mean not OEM? i went with OEM when i rebuild mine...i changed everything even the cetre tie rod
__________________


Die Dämmerung..............when dusk began to fall, when dawn begins to break
Dammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's
 
740-iLL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brampton
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
Upgrade? u mean not OEM? i went with OEM when i rebuild mine...i changed everything even the cetre tie rod
yeah, upgrade as in to new OEM
__________________
Follow me on Twitter @SEVEN40iL
740-iLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.