Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
davericher20
black and blue

siiiiiicccchhhhhkkkkkkkkk car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin325 View Post
what happened with them?? I was about to go drop of a set of rims to them. did he offer to at least pay you or fix the rim for free?

i thought Ric was a good guy...
This is going to be wordy. Here goes:

-July 2009: I have my LE37s refinished after two were severely bent. Turn around time was about a month. One of them bent on my ****ing DRIVE HOME leaving the shop. No big deal, Ric offered to fix it at no charge - I thought this was very good of him. My front tire that was mounted by PRECISION after refinishing the wheel began to leak air overnight. The next day, I go to another tire shop to buy a new tire, and they found a slice in the upper bead. The shop insisted that the cut could not have possibly happened from hitting a curb and that it was clearly evident of improper tire mounting and dismounting techniques (more on this later). I go to see Ric about this shocking news, and he tells me this was due to the curbing incident which bent the rim. I believed him, considering the hit to the curb was pretty hard. I figured it could have damaged the tire not knowing that the cut was SO high up on the bead that seats up and inside the wheel that it would be impossible for this to happen from an outside impact....

-Fall 2009: I've noticed that both wheels that were refinished by Precision developed cracks in the EXACT spots that were repaired.

-Winter 2010: I take off the front rim that had a crack and Ric offered to fix it at no charge (all good, right? Wrong. See below). He tells me it'll take 1.5-2 weeks, but it takes a whole month. Gee, I wonder how many times he's said "Hey Anuk, your wheel will be done tomorrow," only to hear the EXACT SAME ****ING RESPONSE for the next 5 days.

Anyways, now fast forward to March 2010 and this SAME front wheel that Ric had repaired for the second time developed an even WORSE crack than before after *wait for it* JUST ONE DAY OF DRIVING (and I didn't hit a single pothole due to my paranoia). More on why this happens, below.

-Spring 2010: I take the repaired rear wheel which also had a crack now, to Nigel @ Rim Techniques as Precision is too busy for a reasonable turnaround time. He looks at it and is stunned to see that the outer lip's thickness was NOTICEABLY smaller than the opposite side wheels (the ones that were not damaged). The thickness is so small, that it's no wonder they kept getting bent again and again and cracked, too. There was SO LITTLE metal on that side to provide ANY sort of structural support to deal with the forces experienced during driving.
**PRECISION RIM REPAIR HAD MACHINED OFF RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS OF METAL FROM THE OUTER EDGE OF MY WHEELS** You could literally SEE the difference in comparison to the good rear wheel I have. With 265/30/19 tires on my rears, I could see a bit of the lip poking out on my 9.5" good rear wheel. On the repaired wheel, there was NO VISIBLE lip. The rim actually LOOKED narrower. I bet it was at least 0.2" shaved off if not more. I mean for **** sakes, you could see the difference with the naked eye!

This is why they keep cracking and bending from just expansion joints/rough patches of pavement, LET ALONE POTHOLES!

**Back to the sliced tire: Look at Steph's posts about her tire issue from when they remounted her Kumho SPT on one of her rear wheels that was simply touched up. This tire ALSO leaked out ALL AIR in a matter of hours while her car was in storage. It wouldn't even HOLD AIR anymore when she tried reinflating it. Simply Tire is the shop that she deals with and Allen (who is probably the most reliable tire guy in the GTA) EXPLICITLY STATED that the tire was not even sealed properly onto the rim by Precision, which is why it didn't inflate whatsoever. Not only that, but her tire also had a SLICE IN THE UPPER BEAD, AT NEARLY THE EXACT SPOT MY OLD FRONT TIRE HAD from last summer! It's painfully obvious that their tire mounting/dismounting guy is on some seriously cheap cocaine considering they don’t know how to mount/dismount low-profile tires for SHIT.

Keep in mind all this is happening to one-piece, forged monoblock wheels. The Volk LE37 is one of the strongest wheels money can buy. I had used them for months on some of the roughest roads and unavoidable potholes in the GTA without any problems at all. However, after Precision got their yeast-infested hands on them, they continue to have issues at the repaired portions... And it sucks because I cannot even buy new replacement LE37s to restore my set. I'm shit out of luck on wheels that cost me nearly 3K with tires to put on my car.

In summary: Precision Rim Repair royally screwed up my expensive and rare set of Volk LE37s, One 215/35/19 Dunlop DZ101 tire, and cost Stephanie over $1000 in damages due to their negligence, sheer ineptitude and utter incompetence.

Try CARCONE'S. They've been around for years and I've heard nothing but fantastic reviews about them. A bit pricier than most GTA shops, but they know their stuff and won't try to **** you over like Precision did to me, and also to Steph's tires. FYI, Carcone's will not touch cracked rims due to safety issues; yet Precision will - you can make your own judgment about Precision based on that.... *rollseyes*

/rant. Woooooo-saaaa!!

Imola Red / Imola Red ///M5
E60 SSK, Dice iPod, GT Exhaust
BCR Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Daytona Race, Michelin PSS

335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
H&R Sport, CF diffuser, BMW Performance SSK

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black

Last edited by dbworld4k; 03-19-2010 at 01:06 PM.
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin325 View Post
what happened with them?? I was about to go drop of a set of rims to them. did he offer to at least pay you or fix the rim for free?

i thought Ric was a good guy...
Same here.
I was going to send Precision 2 sets of rims, but have been hearing some dirt on them lately and now where should I go ?
Is there no quality place in town ?
Money is not an issue.

Last edited by DINAN 3; 03-19-2010 at 12:19 PM.
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
dbworld4k
Addict

^Carcone's might be worth a shot.

Past:
Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

^^ it depends on what your getting done, refinishing is fine.....but if the wheel has a crack or bend, do yourself a favor replace it with a new rim if possible, save yourself the hassle as it will never be the same.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #21
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
^Carcone's might be worth a shot.
Thought they don't straighten rims, only refinish.
Last time I called, they were handling only simple one-piece stock rims.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #22
dbworld4k
Addict

^Agreed 100%. Too bad it doesn't apply to my case. It's just that after spending about $950 on repairing my two wheels, and I'm still nowhere, it really blows. I mean, if you can't do good work then why tell me you can fix it up?

Past:

Last edited by dbworld4k; 03-19-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #23
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
^^ it depends on what your getting done, refinishing is fine.....but if the wheel has a crack or bend, do yourself a favor replace it with a new rim if possible, save yourself the hassle as it will never be the same.
When I'm on the US boards, I'm always impressed how down south they have these amazing shops for refinishing/straightening rims.
Don't we have one good shop in town ?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
^Agreed 100%. Too bad it doesn't apply to my case. It's just that after spending about $950 on repairing my two wheels, and I'm still nowhere, it really blows. I mena, if you can't do good work then why tell me you can fix it up?
Maybe they saw you coming .

lol, of course they will take your money and they will say anything to do it.
But yea, not much you could have done in your case other and pray for another set to pop up. Should have sold them right after refinishing them the first time.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #25
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
OT: Stephanie, did you claim your towing costs to CAA?? They should cover it if they couldn't make it there in time...

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Looks damn good spoony. I love those rims, too bad I will never have the cash to get my own. lol

Where did you get those rotors from? They aftermarket?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
Simply Tire is the shop that she deals with and Allen (who is probably the most reliable tire guy in the GTA)
Yup.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #28
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Thanks guys! I paid 700 for them to take the wheels apart, polish the lips, paint the centers bbs silver, put the wheels back together, seal them, then mount/balance the tires. Took them about 4weeks to do.

Now to those bashing precision rim. No offence but these guys have contracts to lambo ferrari bmw....to fix their wheels. So that being said what dealership does carcones fix wheels for? They seemed to have no problem installing my 215/35/18 tires onto my wheels without leaving a single scratch on the lips or damaging the wheels. Ric also advised me on the wheel he had welded that it may be possible to crack again because of the small tire profile, and the stiffness of my suspension.

One thing that really bothers me about this site is how everyone likes to talk bad about someones shop. But I know of one shop who sponsors this site whos been having a shit load of bad work being done and yet as soon as someone posts about it, the thread get deleted! I thought we lived in a world of freedom of speach?

Jay
Old 03-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
Looks damn good spoony. I love those rims, too bad I will never have the cash to get my own. lol

Where did you get those rotors from? They aftermarket?

The rotors are M sports, call up rocco at RMP, he can get you great prices on them!

Hey I never thought I'd own a set either lol.

Jay
Old 03-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #30
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Quote:
^Agreed 100%. Too bad it doesn't apply to my case. It's just that after spending about $950 on repairing my two wheels, and I'm still nowhere, it really blows. I mean, if you can't do good work then why tell me you can fix it up?
See i dont get how u spent 950 on 2 wheels. When I paid 700 for all 4 3piece wheels?

Jay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: