Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #31
kkeddy
2nd Gear Member

u guys r lucky, i did port forwarding and all that bs, i used to get over 500kb/s ..on dsl.

right now im dling at 30kB/sec.. so fail. someone help me =(

btw i have no cap either.. -.-
kkeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #32
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^are you running 2.0? You're sure portforwarding is working? (check the self test in utorrent). What kind of router do you have? Have you set up an exception in windows firewall?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #33
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
I dont have a cap. I've broken 500 gigs in a month and no one's ever said anything to me.

It takes me less than 30 seconds to remotely add a torrent to my queue (like i just did. I'm not home, i'm at school)
Dude, where do you store all this stuff you download?!

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #34
kkeddy
2nd Gear Member

yep, i read your thread and updated to version 2.0 of utorrent.

i did the run tests stuff on my utorrent, yes the port is openned, last night i was tweaking with the port numbers, i changed to an different port number, now im avg at around 100kb.

im using a d-link router....

and also my windows firewall is all OFF, even though utorrent still added a exception in there too..

it might be my isp. im using a company called "CIK TElecom" its a chinese company, using bells line, but whenever i do speed tests and stuff, it says teksavvy, maybe teksavvy is sub-leasing the line to my company..

also my speedtest results are ridiculously slow aswell...i think..

Quote:
Ontario and Quebec

CIK Regular DSL

icon Up to 7M High Speed
icon Unlimited Download
Prepay 1 year - $29.99/mon

$36.99/Month
^^ thats what im using...

and this is my speedtest results

any insights will be greatful!! ...when i first started to use this company, i was getting over 1mb off DDL's ..and atleast like 500-600kb/s off good healthy torrents...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #35
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Sounds like your ISP is oversubscribed in you area and the network is congested.
I know teksavvy leases lines from Bell and I think you are right, CIK is subleasing from Teksavvy.

Are you stuck in a contract?

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #36
kkeddy
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
Sounds like your ISP is oversubscribed in you area and the network is congested.
I know teksavvy leases lines from Bell and I think you are right, CIK is subleasing from Teksavvy.

Are you stuck in a contract?
i can cancel anytime i want its actually quite a swt deal, if i run at advertise speeds..

according to what i learned at school (data communications) ...

DSL don't get congested because its off a telephone line that is dedicated to your house, but suffers from attenucy (signal loss over distance)...iunno maybe this dosn't apply to us..

cable is what gets congested, more people in your neighbourhood = more people sharing the bandwith..

correct me if im wrong
Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #37
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

I think you are right, cable is more susceptible to slowing during peak use times where ADSL gives a more steady speed, but the telephone line to your house doesn't run all the way back to Bell's evil lair. At some point it converges and if that convergence point is overloaded, then your bandwidth starts to feel the pinch.

When I bought my 1st house, my bell internet sucked. I kept calling and complaining and at one point they said, "we are going to be installing another service hub in your area as the current hub is overloaded, which is why your speed isn't as advertised. Service will improve significantly once that installation is complete. we will discount your rate until that upgrade is completed."

For all I know, Bell could have been BS'ing me, but it cost them for 8 months.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #38
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^actually, it cost you. You paid bell. Bandwidth doesn't cost bell anything, they have their own backbone on peer1, so unless your local DSLAM is completly overloaded with traffic and stops working, your traffic doesn't affect them. Even if they give you 50% off, its still all profit to them.

Stickygreen -> External/internal drives. I have about 5TB storage capacity at home.

kkeddy-> run the tweak test on dslreports.com

3.3mb/s isn't as bad as you think. What kind of network do you have at home? What kind of router?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black

Last edited by propr'one; 03-16-2010 at 02:52 PM.
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #39
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Yeah, 3.3 is not too bad. I get around 4Mb down 500k up on my Teksavvy line. My ping is around 25 though. Go directly with teksavvy ... great support, and thy'll actually look into it if you have issues with your line.

Btw, the "up tp 7Mb/s" is horseshit ... Bell won't put the leased/wholesale lines on 7Mb ... only the 5 Mb, so technically I think that Chinese company is lying (unless something changed recently)
Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #40
kkeddy
2nd Gear Member

ya i don't beleive in that up to 7mb crap either...

ya i think im gonna directly go with teksavvy, they know what they r doing, they have the reputation..theyre good.

thx for the help guys
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #41
steve.325i
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
3.3mb/s isn't as bad as you think.
+1

btw - my first modem was a 300bps pocket modem for my Comodore64
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #42
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
+1

btw - my first modem was a 300bps pocket modem for my Comodore64
wow I thought I was the only one!

the best was leaving the switch on answer and having it pick up, man my dad used to get pissed off about that lol
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #43
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

I used to run a BBS (way old precursor to a forum) on my 300 baud modem and c64. It would run from around 10pm till morning since it had to hog the phone line

That shit was gold!

Btw, for all you youngins ... 300 baud = 0.3 kbits/s (not bytes!)... yes, you could literally see text scrolling as it was downloaded. I was super excited when I upgraded to a 2400 baud.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #44
steve.325i
2nd Gear Member

oh sh!t ... I have tears in my eyes
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #45
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
I used to run a BBS (way old precursor to a forum) on my 300 baud modem and c64. It would run from around 10pm till morning since it had to hog the phone line

That shit was gold!

Btw, for all you youngins ... 300 baud = 0.3 kbits/s (not bytes!)... yes, you could literally see text scrolling as it was downloaded. I was super excited when I upgraded to a 2400 baud.
Ahhh I remember those days. Although my first wasn't on a C64, my first was a 300 baud on a TRS-80 running BASIC. Had to write my own interface to dial up to any BBS's, then had to save the info to a cassette tape..

Then I upgraded to a TRS-80 portable, and thought it was the greatest thing in the world because it came with an external 5 1/4" floppy drive, and 64K of memory. And I still have that thing in a Box somewhere...It'll be a museum piece someday

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: