Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #16
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee

Now I'm going to get Bell Fibe. The throttling was the only thing stopping me.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow2race View Post
NOTORIOUS VR, damn! thats like zero wait for tv shows and movies.
games in under a hour. solid!
Pretty much! Newsgroups and a fast connection = win...

I tend to only download 1080p content now which for the most part are 8-12GB in size... a 9-10GB file is done in under and hour at that speed (about 47min).

Although I do usually throttle it to about 2.5MB/s so that there is something left for browsing and such
Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^isn't there a 80gb cap on extreme?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^isn't there a 80gb cap on extreme?
95gig on Extreme, 125gig on Extreme Plus which is what he has(same here)

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
propr'one
op sucks cock

So i guess if you dont download a lot its good. I very rarely download under 300 gigs a month. My mom's work (university) pays 43.99$ for unlimited (no asteriks) on 8/1.5

i'm gonna buy a 536 and see if it will speed up my download speeds.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #21
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
So i guess if you dont download a lot its good. I very rarely download under 300 gigs a month. My mom's work (university) pays 43.99$ for unlimited (no asteriks) on 8/1.5

i'm gonna buy a 536 and see if it will speed up my download speeds.
yes the caps suck... Robbers and Bellus has you by the nuts. It's freekin' absurd for them to offer such speeds and then cap you so low. But what can you do.

I ain't willing to wait a day to download a 10GB 1080p file on regular 5Mbit DSL (actual throughput is more like 4 anyway for the most part). So I pay to play.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
propr'one
op sucks cock

I hear you bro. Honestly, i get a little chub when i download at 5mb/s, but i would litterally blow through that cap in one day if i had those speeds.

For people with slow(ish) connections who want to become uber leechers.
You need:
-Lots of hard drive space
-Unlimited internet connection (If you have a cap, utorrent 2.0 has a bandwidth cap which will pause all torrents until next month once cap is met)
-Correctly setup portforwarding
-Utorrent 2.0 installed (duh)

The best thing to do is to install utorrent on a machine that's always on. Now i realize not everyone's a huge nerd and runs their PC 24X7, but that's your fault cause you should.

Think about it. Downloading at 350kb/s (very reasonable, you can see this for 22 hours a day with UTP, between 6-8 you'll see 200) is like 30 gigs a day.
Downloading at 1mb/s stable for 7-8 hours a day will get you 30 gigs aswell.
As you can see, the key here is consistant downloading.

Further optimization / remote monitoring and queing:
I love Utorrent for a number of reasons, one of which is the WebUI.
Basically, this lets you load a java frontend to your utorrent which is accessible through a web browser:
(this is NOT my screencap, just for illustration, i dont watch buffy)

How to set this up:
Utorrent->options->preferences->webui-> click enable

CHOOSE A USERNAME AND PASSWORD. DO NOT LEAVE THE DEFAULTS.

I'd leave the listening port as is, it will save you having to forward another port.

You can now test out webui:
The address is: (XXX = your IP, YYYY is the port you forwarded) You can use either your external ip (actual IP) or your local ip which will start with (192.168.XXX.XXX). Your local IP is not addressable outside of your home network, your external IP is. To find out your external ip go here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYY/gui/

So, you're almost done. Since most of you are on DSL, you have dynamic IP's. Dynamic IP's (unlike static IP's) change frequently (every time you connect to the internet, you have a new IP). This presents a problem, since you're not going to know what the IP of your network at home is if you're at work if the service has restarted. To solve this problem we use DYNDNS

Go to dyndns.org, sign up for an account (free). You will register for an account something like ZZZZZZ.dyndns.org

Option 1) Your router supports DDNS [There will be a tab on your router config page that says DDNS]
Enter your account info under the ddns tab (your username, which doesn't have to be the same as your sub-domain name (ZZZZZ from above. Username is in the confirmation email)

Option 2) Your router doesn't have DDNS options. In this case, download the DDNS updater from their website http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

Fill in your username and password. Click on update automatically (green checkmark should appear in bottom left corner)

You're done!
http://ZZZZ.dyndns.org:YYYY/gui/ will be the address of your frontend, accessible anywhere that has ipV4 internet access.

You can remove torrents, set upload/download caps, and add new torrents remotely.
The best way to add remote torrents is to click add new torrent (button in top left corner of GUI) and then enter the URL of the torrent itself (right click on download torrent on most sites, like TPB, and press copy link, then paste that into the field. The extention of the web address must be .torrent, like this:

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/534...81.TPB.torrent

Also, if you haven't seen the wire, its probably the best show i've ever seen on TV, so download it.

Last edited by propr'one; 03-14-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #23
mc5
1st Gear Newbie

guys . I dont know why you just dont use rapidshare its 80 bucks a year unlimited speeds and you get your stuff fast. i gave up on the torrent bs a long time ago.
mc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #24
propr'one
op sucks cock

^^you can only download 2 gigs a day from RS with a premium account. After that its some points system i dont understand.

If i could download 35 gb a day from R$ i would pay for it forsure.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #25
arek
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
^^you can only download 2 gigs a day from RS with a premium account. After that its some points system i dont understand.

^^

LOL

Dude, do you get out of the house??

wtf are you downloading???
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #26
steve.325i
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
95gig on Extreme, 125gig on Extreme Plus which is what he has(same here)
yup, 95gig cap ... I have only gone over twice.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
mc5
1st Gear Newbie

With the RS account you can download 20 gig every 3 days then it resets. So you will basically hit your isp cap by months end np. to me thats more than enough lol.

Quote:

mc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #28
steve.325i
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow2race View Post
i got the rogers express at 10Mbit connection, and i go 1.2MB/s steady.

thats weird for you. get it checked out.
For 100k difference I don't think I'm going to worry about it. This is far better that I had runnign on my last torrent machine (hp laptop). Now I have it running on an older desktop with win7ult and I am quite happy.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #29
propr'one
op sucks cock

I dont have a cap. I've broken 500 gigs in a month and no one's ever said anything to me.

It takes me less than 30 seconds to remotely add a torrent to my queue (like i just did. I'm not home, i'm at school)

Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #30
Junaid
4th Gear Member

no cap at home so whatever i need to download, i start it friday night and all of them are usually done by sunday. in hamilton i rarely download due to cap, but speed is always 12-14 mb/s

Needs more mods
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: