Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

I read somewhere that some Toyotas have a feature that doesn't let you shift into neutral when the car is moving, and with the pushbutton starts you have to hold the button down for a few seconds to shut if off while it's moving, almost nobody knows that and your first reflex would be to mash the button in a situation like that.

Not saying that the Toyota driving demographic isn't generally inept, because they are, but it's not just their fault.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #17
sirex
King Sirex

haha wow... its like they set up their cars to fail 10 years ago.... can tswitch to neutral? cant turn the car off.... lol.. JUMP OUT!11111
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
I read somewhere that some Toyotas have a feature that doesn't let you shift into neutral when the car is moving, and with the pushbutton starts you have to hold the button down for a few seconds to shut if off while it's moving, almost nobody knows that and your first reflex would be to mash the button in a situation like that.

Not saying that the Toyota driving demographic isn't generally inept, because they are, but it's not just their fault.
some car companies are smarter. for example, nissan. the push button start cars can also be turned off in a panic when the button is pressed 3x in succession as as if a person was panicking and not holding the button down for a few seconds. toyota doesn't have this feature.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
1unekE46
2nd Gear Member

Prius Hybrid Technology.

What most people don't understand is the technology within the Prius Hybrid. It uses throttle by wire, electronic transmission engagement, and brake by wire. (Automatic Trans.)

When you apply the brakes the vehicles batteries are being charged also. Additionally with systems like this you cannot simply put in in Neutral. The Prius owners manual indicates that you must hold the lever in the neutral position for at least 4 seconds if the vehicle is in motion. Also to note that at higher RPM's the vehicle cannot be put into neutral even with the 4 second rule. I would assume this would be to protect the vehicles electrical engine from damage. To complicate matters further, there are 5 steps that must be done just to allow the driver to shut off the vehicle. (Thank goodness for the simplicity of just turning the key back and killing all power at once!)

Since most of the unintended acceleration cases are reported that the vehicle is accelerating without the pedal being pressed/engaged, this would lead me to believe it is a software glitch.

For those who are saying "the driver is an idiot for not just putting it in neutral", I would actually put the blame on the vehicle manufacture for not increasing awareness on how to operate these vehicles under normal and panic situations.

Just my 2 cents....

Last edited by 1unekE46; 03-11-2010 at 12:03 PM.
1unekE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1unekE46 View Post
Since most of the unintended acceleration cases are reported that the vehicle is accelerating without the pedal being pressed/engaged, this would lead me to believe it is a software glitch.
this is true. the initial explanation of mats trapping the gas pedal were bs.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #21
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
I believe the Prius is pushbutton, so it may not be possible to shut off the car while in Drive. The driver (in panic) may have tried turning it off before shifting to neutral?

Eithher way, its incredibly sad how all these people aren't aware of how to stop a car by simply putting it in neutral....

Now on the other hand, if the brakes were failing, I'd understand. But this shouldn't really be a huge deal.

Prius's have a Key FOB, so no key, the key just needs to be in the vicinity of the vehicle, you can do an emergency shut off by holding the start button for 3 seconds.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #22
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
I c.

Toyota should be doing a huge awareness campaign on what to do if you car has this problem, instead of just promising repairs.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #23
1unekE46
2nd Gear Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Prius's have a Key FOB, so no key, the key just needs to be in the vicinity of the vehicle, you can do an emergency shut off by holding the start button for 3 seconds.
I have heard from an owner of the Prius that when the FOB is plugged into the dash and is in charging mode, it renders all buttons useless. However you should be able to pull it out during the vehicle operation. Are you certain about the emergency shut off sequence? Is this for newer prius' vs. the earlier ones?
Our previous Prius company car would not allow you to simply hold the start button and shut the vehicle down WHEN IN MOTION.

Last edited by 1unekE46; 03-11-2010 at 11:52 AM.
1unekE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
If this car cannot be shifted into neutral every single person who owns this car should sue toyota.

I have a 2007 (recall affected) toyota camry. It shifts into neutral at speed no problem. Also, you can turn the car off in drive (but can't restart it unless in neutral).

This is sensationalized like crazy. I've actually had this happen to me on a e36. Unless you're an idiot, its very, very easy to not kill yourself/others and keep the car under control.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #25
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

Like I said earlier, most people that drive Toyotas use them to get from point A to point B and don't know anything about how it works. The fact is almost brand new cars shouldn't be accelerating uncontrollably, and Toyota shouldn't have hidden the problem until it was absolutely necessary to do the real recall.

But I'm glad I drive a manual, throttle gets stuck all I have to do is push the clutch in.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #26
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Maybe the guy is a moron.

Last edited by SamE30e; 03-11-2010 at 09:46 PM.
SamE30e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #27
blk3
4th Gear Member

hahahaha! man that guy likes to swear
blk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #28
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1unekE46 View Post
What most people don't understand is the technology within the Prius Hybrid. It uses throttle by wire, electronic transmission engagement, and brake by wire. (Automatic Trans.)
What most people DO know is that you are wrong. Brake by wire? Dude ... it might have additional shit on the brakes, but the actual braking is a mechanical operation. You press the pedal, it pushes the MC, fluid moves though lines, piston applies pressure to pads. There is no "by wire" here. Other shit, like the regenerative braking may fail, but the actual brake pedal will ALWAYS work.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #29
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk3 View Post
hahahaha! man that guy likes to swear
he sure does.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #30
1unekE46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
What most people DO know is that you are wrong. Brake by wire? Dude ... it might have additional shit on the brakes, but the actual braking is a mechanical operation. You press the pedal, it pushes the MC, fluid moves though lines, piston applies pressure to pads. There is no "by wire" here. Other shit, like the regenerative braking may fail, but the actual brake pedal will ALWAYS work.
Hey look it up, I have actually driven and seen this vehicle. You can just use google, but here is one of the first results. However maybe we are saying the same thing because the MC does still push the fluid to press the caliper piston.

4th paragraph from the bottom.
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews...s-1002566.html

26. The Prius is the first car to feature a fully electronic brake by wire system. Mercedes had dabbled with this set-up but Toyota offer a more sophisticated arrangement that allows for the brakes to recharge the battery packs under braking. Customers have been traditionally wary of these techniques, preferring to squirt some goo up a pipe instead, all the while conveniently ignoring the fact that their steering is probably electronically controlled.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: