Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Another Runaway Toyota (Prius)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB2000...873150166.html
Quote:
Runaway Prius Tale Prompts New Prob
By NEAL E. BOUDETTE And SHARON TERLEP

Toyota Motor Corp. and federal investigators probed the latest report of sudden acceleration Tuesday, a dramatic incident on a California highway that ricocheted around the Internet.

A California man called 911 for help on Monday and said his blue 2008 Toyota Prius sped up to more than 90 miles per hour on Interstate 8 near San Diego before a California Highway Patrolman helped him slow the car and bring it to a stop.

On Tuesday, reports of the incident, including interviews with the 61-year-old driver, James Sikes, recalling his ride, appeared on television shows and were prominently featured on Web sites including YouTube.com and Yahoo.

The reported incident occurred only hours after Toyota completed a presentation intended to demonstrate that the electronics in its cars couldn't be the cause of unwanted acceleration. The auto maker had hoped to presentation would kick off a week of aggressive rebuttals to critics.

Toyota said it interviewed Mr. Sikes but declined to say what he told the company. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration dispatched an investigator and Toyota said it would have its own engineers examine the car.

Reports of the San Diego incident sparked a flurry of new negative headlines about the company and its vehicles.

"I pushed the gas pedal to pass a car and it did something kind of funny ... it jumped and it just stuck there," Mr. Sikes said at a news conference, according to the Associated Press.

"I was trying the brakes ... it wasn't stopping, it wasn't doing anything and it just kept speeding up," Mr. Sikes said, adding he could smell the brakes burning.

After calling 911, Mr. Sikes said his Prius hit speeds of up to 94 mph for about 20 minutes before a highway patrolman pulled up next to him and offered suggestions over a loudspeaker on how to stop the car, Officer Brian Pennings said in a telephone interview.

The officer directed Mr. Sikes to turn off the ignition and put the car into neutral, but Mr. Sikes shook his head to indicate neither action worked, Officer Pennings said.

The patrolman then told Mr. Sikes to use both the brake and parking brake simultaneously, which slowed the car to around 50 mph, eventually allowing Mr. Sikes to stop the vehicle, Officer Pennings said.

The officer said Mr. Sikes told police that while the car was moving he reached down to try to grab the gas pedal and saw the floor mat wasn't in the way.

The police did a visual inspection and saw the mat was in place and the pedal wasn't trapped, Officer Pennings said.

Mr. Sikes appeared to be so shaken that an ambulance was called, the police said.

"He was extremely distraught," Officer Pennings said. "It was clear he was dealing with a large amount of anxiety and adrenaline."

Mr. Sikes couldn't be reached for comment.

Mr. Sikes's vehicle was held by the California Highway Patrol overnight and on Tuesday was taken to a Toyota dealer in El Cajon, Calif.

Mr. Sikes's Prius will be subject to a recall by Toyota to prevent the driver's floor mat from pinning down the gas pedal. Toyota announced in November that Priuses from the 2004 to 2009 model years would be covered by a recall, and said drivers should remove their mats to prevent sudden acceleration. Since the company hasn't yet developed a remedy for the problem, the recall hasn't been enacted, a spokesman said Tuesday.

Toyota sold about 745,000 Priuses from the 2004 to 2009 model years, according to Autodata Corp.

Reports of unintended acceleration have prompted Toyota to recall more than six million vehicles in the U.S. and some eight million world-wide. The recalls are to fix floor mats and gas pedals that can get stuck—the cause, Toyota maintains, of the sudden-acceleration complaints.
—Dionne Searcey
and Josh Mitchell
contributed to this article.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

That's not a runaway Prius ... that's a runaway ****ing idiot. There's an update to this where the guy says he didn't want to put it in neutral cause he thought it would flip. Seriously? Take yourself out of the gene pool already.

(Actually, I bet this guy is pretty smart, and is just cruising for a nice cash settlement).
Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

I wonder if this acceleration issue is limited to automatic trannys?

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
aaron320i
Banned

Send a message via MSN to aaron320i
people are rediculous, with the average person having a minimum experience of 10 years,
you would think they would know how to stop a car in an emergency
aaron320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
2slow2race
6th Gear Member

"The officer directed Mr. Sikes to turn off the ignition and put the car into neutral, but Mr. Sikes shook his head to indicate neither action worked, Officer Pennings said."

from the article.
so is the article lying and its all bullshit?
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Arash
6th Gear Member

thats bullshit,, I don't see how he wouldn't be able to pop it into neutral....
Arash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
thats bullshit,, I don't see how he wouldn't be able to pop it into neutral....
yeah or just turn the key off, you wont be able to pull the key out because the car is in drive, but you can turn the car off.

yeah it's bad that toyota's shit is malfunctioning but these people who don't know how to react in these emergency situations are making it much worse
Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
I believe the Prius is pushbutton, so it may not be possible to shut off the car while in Drive. The driver (in panic) may have tried turning it off before shifting to neutral?

Eithher way, its incredibly sad how all these people aren't aware of how to stop a car by simply putting it in neutral....

Now on the other hand, if the brakes were failing, I'd understand. But this shouldn't really be a huge deal.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

I've shifted many a car into neutral while in drive, but never with the throttle pegged. Maybe under load it doesn't allow it. If not, toyota is just speeding up the natural selection process.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
Arash
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
I've shifted many a car into neutral while in drive, but never with the throttle pegged. Maybe under load it doesn't allow it. If not, toyota is just speeding up the natural selection process.
We tried this with a toyota,, foot planted on throttle, shifted into neutral effortlessly. People are just ****ing stupid.
Arash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
The-Traveler
3rd Gear Member

I wonder if you get a speeding ticket in a Toyota you can use this sticking gas frenzy as your defence?
The-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
I wonder if this acceleration issue is limited to automatic trannys?
with the clutch depressed there is no physical connection between your motor and your tranny. This is not a possible problem in a manual car, you can just depress the clutch and the car will stop accelerating.

I dont see why shifting the car into neutral wouldn't work. I dont understand how turning the car off wouldn't work either.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Like I said ... he didn't shift into neutral because he though IT WOULD FLIP. There is a follow up artice where the guy says this. He shook his head because he didn't WANT to shift, not beacuse it didn't work.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
blk3
4th Gear Member

stupid ass
blk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

If he didn't want to shift in N, he could have shifted to a lower gear and let the engine do some slowing.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: