Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
5thseries
biggerthen3
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brampton
Posts: 722
E90s suck, or mine is shit.

got a 2006 e90 325i from the collection.. posted pics

ok, the driving is horrible, The run flats are super loud.. I am not sure if the tires are making the nose 100%, but during acceleration and stops.. stopping when speeds reach 50-20km/h, it gets reallllllyyy loud coming from the wheels, like a loud *RU RU RU RU RU RU RUGGG* Its louder then usual, and the wheel has a shake to it also driving, the wheel is so hard to turn, the power steering seems not to be working, i thought it would be a power assist set up, but I was told it was not...

Now question, could run flats be responsible for the loud, highly uncomfortable ride?

Now, the gears.. its a 6 speed manual.. shifting too 2nd is really weird, it feels like it notches on something before 100% entering second gear.. now still being on the gear subject.. clutch FULLY down.. it feels like it does not want to go into first gear at times, from the neutral position putting it into gear, seems you have to Force it in...

Starting the car in the morning... after turn over, you hear a clunk sound come for the engine, I have NO clue what it is..but after rpm drops to 500, (roughly) the engine pers...

These are the problems with the car, that i have experienced.. what exactly is going on with the car, and what needs to be fixed?? The car was taken to the stealership, and they said the runflats cannot be that loud.. so at this point im shitting myself/confused.. wheel alignment? ****.. ><

also, does any e90 drivers experience this?
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
e36_all_out
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: T.O
Posts: 135
Yes the runflats will cause that noise. Especially while under braking because there is so much more load on the front wheels while you are applying the brake. Its called cupping and because of the suspension setup on the e90's is causes a very uneven wear on inner and outer treds.

The ride that you experience to be rough is caused by the stiff side wall which makes them runflats to begin with. It feels like the car has a lowered suspension.

Best way to check is rub your hand against the tred, it will feel like a porcupine. 1 way will be smooth the other will be like going up steps
e36_all_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
1'M Seriesus
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brantford
Posts: 161
yeah the sidewalls on the run flats are extremely thick, and the can not flex like it normally would under hard racing condition.

The one tire shop in town couldn't even take them off my 1'ner, i had to get my friend at chevy dealer to take them off and put on the new Yokohama S.drives
1'M Seriesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
5thseries
biggerthen3
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brampton
Posts: 722
Thank you ^
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member
 
M3ti Compact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thseries View Post
got a 2006 e90 325i from the collection.. posted pics

ok, the driving is horrible, The run flats are super loud.. I am not sure if the tires are making the nose 100%, but during acceleration and stops.. stopping when speeds reach 50-20km/h, it gets reallllllyyy loud coming from the wheels, like a loud *RU RU RU RU RU RU RUGGG* Its louder then usual, and the wheel has a shake to it also driving, the wheel is so hard to turn, the power steering seems not to be working, i thought it would be a power assist set up, but I was told it was not...

Now question, could run flats be responsible for the loud, highly uncomfortable ride?

Now, the gears.. its a 6 speed manual.. shifting too 2nd is really weird, it feels like it notches on something before 100% entering second gear.. now still being on the gear subject.. clutch FULLY down.. it feels like it does not want to go into first gear at times, from the neutral position putting it into gear, seems you have to Force it in...

Starting the car in the morning... after turn over, you hear a clunk sound come for the engine, I have NO clue what it is..but after rpm drops to 500, (roughly) the engine pers...

These are the problems with the car, that i have experienced.. what exactly is going on with the car, and what needs to be fixed?? The car was taken to the stealership, and they said the runflats cannot be that loud.. so at this point im shitting myself/confused.. wheel alignment? ****.. ><

also, does any e90 drivers experience this?
The sport package 225/255 run flats on my E90 are quieter than my non-run flat 205 snows. But noisy snows are expected- what i'm trying to say is that the run flats are not that loud. Ride quality is subjective, but even with sport package and 17's, the ride is much smoother than my 318ti with H&R sport/Bilsteins (mild drop) and 15's.

You should be able to turn the steering wheel with 2 fingers, at all times. It should not shake at any time.

If your getting the "ru ru ru" noise when braking only, it's your brakes. Previously overheated brakes will make that noise. Prolonged driving with bad alignment will also cause any tire to do that as previously posted by others, but you will see visible damage if this is the case.

Engagement of every gear should be the same.

There is no audible clunk sound from within the cabin when starting the engine. If you have the window open, you can hear the starter disengage with a click, but definitly not a clunk.

I'm almost certain your E90 was previously abused if it's displaying all the symptoms you are describing. A single track day by an inexperienced driver can cause all the things you mentioned (shaking, no power assist, noise when braking, difficulty engaging gear, difficulty starting).
__________________

Last edited by M3ti Compact; 04-10-2009 at 04:23 PM.
M3ti Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact View Post
I'm almost certain your E90 was previously abused if it's displaying all the symptoms you are describing. A single track day by an inexperienced driver can cause all the things you mentioned (shaking, no power assist, noise when braking, difficulty engaging gear, difficulty starting).
+1, I think it was a lot more than just some ham-fisted track driving. Unfortunately, this thread should have been posted before you brought the car home. It was probably an auction fix-up. Did you check its history through UVIP and carproof?
__________________
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
5thseries
biggerthen3
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brampton
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
+1, I think it was a lot more than just some ham-fisted track driving. Unfortunately, this thread should have been posted before you brought the car home. It was probably an auction fix-up. Did you check its history through UVIP and carproof?
Car proof is super clean.
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
ImolaMZ3
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Stoney Creek
Posts: 146
Welcome to the world of "Run Louds" as my wife calls them. I absolutely hated them and after the second set bought some F1 GSD3's from the Tire Rack. Absolutely transformed the car. There was a service bulletin for this problem on '06's but once the miles add up you don't qualify.

As for the your other problems it doesn't sound good. My transmission shifted with one finger, no notches. Clutch engagement was smooth, never to the floor. Turn in was razor sharp. Yours is not normal.

Too bad you didn't look at mine. I had it in the classifieds on the board for a few weeks before I traded it.
ImolaMZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
KINKY
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 32
run flats suck.

Get a set of proper wheels and your set to go

I've also upgraded the suspension and added reinforced strut bar and sway bars, now my car corners like a BEAST.
It performs COMPLETELY different.

Last edited by KINKY; 05-21-2009 at 03:30 PM.
KINKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
MMOTION
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 40
stock RFT tires suck. when i got my E90 330xi i got 162's w/ Michelin Pilot Sports and the ride is so much better and quieter...better handling too.
MMOTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
brunp
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 199
I just changed out from 17" 225/45 R17's Continental SSR's to 18" staggered setup with Falken RT615 (so non-runflat) and the car drives smoother than the 17"s and even more so when teh 16" Bridgestones that were on the car.

Now, I am completely run-flat less as my winter tires are standard tires. I now have a sealant kit.....

Paul
brunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
automadness
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: toronto
Posts: 97
your prob is where you got your car from my friend bought a caddy from there and had tons of problems with it
automadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
doogee
Stance is Gay.
 
doogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ancaster
Posts: 3,437
Send a message via MSN to doogee
I'm pretty sure BMW's are notorious for having notchy 1st-2nd shifts. Same with it not wanting to go into 1st at stops.
__________________


Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
rocken
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: waterloo, On
Posts: 5
got mine e90 2006 and hate them further inspection showed the tires are cupped leading edge of thread is higher (taller than the trailing edge so its like a saw blade....cause? setup or lack of rotation i am told
looking for new wheels and rim save the stock 16in for winter rubber

hate the tires....so LOUD
rocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
europrince
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North York
Posts: 6,729
I wouldn't buy any car from The Collection. I went there a couple months ago and every car in the show room had a noticeable layer of dust on it. If that's how you care for your cars, what kind of cars are you selling? The place was just grimey.

Last edited by europrince; 08-08-2009 at 10:19 AM.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.