Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #31
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Brutal winter this year, many more freeze/thaw cycles than normal.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #32
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

^ man some of those gifs freak me out, especially the ones from the shining lol. they are all pretty much on this site http://iwdrm.tumblr.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter527 View Post
is it possible to drive the car without the swaybar?i mean removing it until i get the mounting studs welded back in?
Yeah, it's not a huge deal. Just don't expect the same sort of cornering performance as you will have more body roll.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 02-10-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #33
fitter527
hates chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
^ man some of those gifs freak me out they are all pretty much on this site http://iwdrm.tumblr.com/

Yeah, it's not a huge deal. Just don't expect the same sort of cornering performance as you will have more body roll.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #34
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
And yeah some of the man hole covers on university ave suck, especially by Laurier and Weber. I haven't been driving winter this year, but even in the summer there's one right on the other side of the intersection of university and weber going east bound in the left lane and I was always swerving to go around it. This would freak out people in the west bound left turn lane because I was swerving towards them briefly lol.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 02-10-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #35
fitter527
hates chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
And yeah some of the man hole covers on university ave suck, especially by Laurier and Weber. I haven't been driving winter this year, but even in the summer there's one right on the other side of the intersection of university and weber going east bound in the left lane and I was always swerving to go around it. This would freak out people in the west bound left turn lane because I was swerving towards them briefly lol.
i know the crater you are talkin about.
it probably looks like i'm runnin a slalom course tryin to avoid them.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #36
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Hey fellow Waterlooers!

My car sure is taking a beating this winter, from the salt, and now the wavy cracked roads everywhere.

Actually last night I was in Toronto at the gas station by my house and I was in shock at how bad one of the sections of pavement got since the fall. It's like a giant just went nuts and started jumping up and down to create massive craters. I didn't even try to drive through! It was in 90% better shape before this winter.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #37
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of re-paving they did to the main roads in Hamilton over the past year. Hopefully the trend will continue and maybe they'll tackle Burlington street this spring/summer. I guess the crooks running this town finally decided to give something back. Overall I can't complain too much - it's really not that bad on most of the main routes save for a few really bad ones. Side streets are another story though...
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #38
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

I think there's gotta be some better cold climate road paving technology that they are just too cheap or have no money to implement.

Either that or the pavers want to keep making money by working on the roads all the time.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 02-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #39
Axxe

Nothing lasts forever. They are not holding back any new technology. It's simply a matter of life cycle, and not being able to spend the money on a road that will last forever. Trust me, we can build roads that last forever, but there would only be a couple km a year of it due to cost and time constraints. Just like we can build cars that last forever, but then no one would be able to afford them (with all the gadgets that everyone demands nowadays). Everything in life is compromise.

Last edited by Axxe; 02-13-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #40
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Nothing lasts forever. They are not holding back any new technology. It's simply a matter of life cycle, and not being able to spend the money on a road that will last forever. Trust me, we can build roads that last forever, but there would only be a couple km a year of it due to cost and time constraints. Just like we can build cars that last forever, but then no one would be able to afford them (with all the gadgets that everyone demands nowadays). Everything in life is compromise.
Contradictory.

Like I said, better technology must exist, but they aren't using it. I'm not asking for lifetime duration, but maybe 10 years instead of 3? Also, they should keep track of which roads were done when, and start redoing them before they actually go to shit.

Then again, going to shit is subjective because I bet if we all drove Crown Vics we wouldn't be complaining lol.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Last edited by Dr. Flyview; 02-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #41
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
Contradictory.
It's not contradictory, the technology is there, but like he said it would cost too much per km and take a lot longer to implement. I'm not a civil engineer but I figure generally speaking what they'd have to do is remove anywhere from 8-24" of soil from the surface depending on the characteristics of the soil, compact the subgrade, then lay down 8-24" of gravel sub base, then pave.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #42
Axxe

Pre-cast concrete is the best, cast in place is excellent as well. But you can't use concrete in city streets with underground services, once the concrete is down you can't touch it until final removal. Doing it properly is very expensive, and time consuming. Asphalt is quick and dirty, and lasts a lot longer than 3 years. It's all 25 year design, and a finite amount of freeze/thaw. More freeze/thaw? Guess what, doesn't last 25 years anymore, and unfortunately there is no real way to prevent it or the associated damage. Keep in mind the current infrastructure in waterloo was last overhauled in the early 80's and has only received top repaving since then, not to mention all the times underground services needed to be accessed. Also very sensitive to truck loading, every overweight axle causes huge damage, especially if the truck is traveling fast.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #43
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

its all because of our weather(freeze/thaw) the further north you go the worse it gets.

just like winter comes every yr(yet people still whine about it every.single.year.) the roads get jacked up every yr(if they arent jacked up already).
Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #44
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
is anyone else fed up with the condition of our roads?well i am.
i live in london and the roads are absolutly terrible.its like driving in a third world country.is it possible to go after the city for suspension damage?
i was driving on Commisioners and came to the tracks by Adelade.i slowed down to about 40km and went over the tracks.i thought the whole front of my car fell off.now im pretty sure my two front rims are bent,the alignment is out(just had a 4 wheel alignment 2 months ago) and there is a stomach turning noise coming from the front passenger side.
i am so fed up with damage caused by the condition of ontario roads in general.i have four other front rims in my garage that are also bent.has anyone else ever went after the city for similar situation?
man if u lived in russia/ukraine you would slow down to 1km/h when going over rail tracks, otherwise you leave your whole drive train there.

But yeah considering Canada is 1st world country, they roads are SH!T, compare our roads to some countries like Israel, Kuwait, Arab Emirates, seems like we are 3rd world country.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #45
DaveM3_09
2nd Gear Member

Mississauga's roads are getting worse each season! I am fed up!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: