Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #16
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Cheap way to paint cars:

Get one of those temp plastic garages, cut a hole in the end, and put in a big ass fan. Instant paint booth. This will be easily as clean as most paint places, and you won't paint eveything in your garage.

Even an el cheapo 20gal compressor and $100 gun will do a great job as long as your prep is good.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
Cheap way to paint cars:

Get one of those temp plastic garages, cut a hole in the end, and put in a big ass fan. Instant paint booth. This will be easily as clean as most paint places, and you won't paint eveything in your garage.

Even an el cheapo 20gal compressor and $100 gun will do a great job as long as your prep is good.
That was my point. Prep is very difficult, especially with rust repair. Block sanding, squaring body lines, removing all rust so it doesn't just rust out again in 6 months.. these are the hard parts of body work.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
zerosignal
Got any change?

Quote:
Cheap way to paint cars:

I love this, plus then I'll make money undercutting the local macco, hahaha
zerosignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
msinger
3rd Gear Member

so what were saying is lets just roll (not drive) lee's car out of his plastic garage, and we have a paint booth! group paint day at lee's place!
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
everlast

Lol!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #21
gervs
2nd Gear Member

lol.

Personally I don't mind, i've done all the prep multiple times on other cars and painted. My buddy back home had a 5000SQ/f shop including sandblasting and paint booths indoor. IMO, the absolute worst part of the process is molding stripping and masking. I'm too much of a brute and have too little patience to do it so I usually pay someone to do that part for me lol.
gervs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #22
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Cheap way to paint cars:

I have (somewhere) instructions on how to build a cheap, removeable paint booth inside the garage, to avoid the wind.

That said, if the paint being used is flammable in any way, you have to be careful about the fan. No sense tunrning the paint booth into an oversized flamethrower.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #23
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

There are special fans for this purpose.
BTW, a full-sized gun will use at least 10 CFM. Most even use up to 15 CFM. Most cheap guns will use an average of 12-13 CFM.

So, a 20 gallon HomeDepot compressor wont cut it. What you need is an 60 gallon compressor (minimum) and a minimum of 5 HP. Manufacturers sometime use peak numbers so you gotta know what you buy.
Anyways, if your compressor does not ave enough CFM or air capacity, all it does is keep running all the time. 3 pass with paint gun and then you wait 5 mins for compressor to catch up, over and over again.
If a compressor is runnig most of the time you will have moisture problems.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
everlast

Not to mention you're going to cover everything outside that fan in overspray.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #25
gervs
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
Anyways, if your compressor does not ave enough CFM or air capacity, all it does is keep running all the time. 3 pass with paint gun and then you wait 5 mins for compressor to catch up, over and over again.
If a compressor is runnig most of the time you will have moisture problems.

I've primered one of my older cars using this technique lol. Then took it to my friends booth for finish paint lol.

The tank was big enough for the job, it was just the motor on the compressor wasn't.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #26
gervs
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Not to mention you're going to cover everything outside that fan in overspray.
You can hang parts like the IS lip, trunk lid lip etc... outside the fan. Two birds 1 stone lol
Old 03-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gervs View Post
I've primered one of my older cars using this technique lol. Then took it to my friends booth for finish paint lol.

The tank was big enough for the job, it was just the motor on the compressor wasn't.
I suppose a small compressor would be okay for spraying primer over spots, but I'd never do it. Last thing you want is to get water in your finish that is gonna bubble later.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #28
everlast

http://www.princessauto.com/air/comp...ater-separator
Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #29
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
That thing is useless, it will seriously restrict the air flow for HVLP guns.

Better option:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519BsAOEuVL.jpg
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #30
gervs
2nd Gear Member

I've even debated spray bombing the shit out of my car flat black. But then realised that just silly! I hate that I bought a house, getting married and having a baby for the fact that I can't spend the money I originally planned to put into the e30. Good thing the wife doesn't check these forums.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: