Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
xlash
Still learning....

Insurance Scam??? Please help

Hi everybody,

I am a full-time student at McMaster and opted out of the health insurance plan because I already have coverage. So I did my due diligence, went to the website ihaveaplan.ca and filled in my information and they requested proof of coverage. I photocopied my insurance coverage card and mailed it to ihaveaplan well in advance of the deadline.

I didn't receive a confirmation so I went and spoke to the lady at the student association and she suggested that I wait it out for a week or so as the cheques will be in the mail. Well no cheque arrived so I went back to the lady at the student association and she said I call them directly.

I called then and they said it's too late but I can appeal. So in the first week of November I mailed them a letter (they don't believe in e-mail) and just got a respnse last week saying they will not reimburse the insurance premium because they didn't receive proof of coverage and it's too late.

On calling the service coordinator I got into a verbal tussle with her and her repeated response to whatever I said was "it's the policy".

So the bottom line is: I did my due diligence and filed the opt-out forms online, mailed the proof of coverage, contacted the lady at the student association who misinformed me and because ihaveaplan didn't receive the proof of coverage because of postage issues or breakdown at their office I am resonsible for paying the price!!

How do I proceed with this? It's not just a matter of money but also of principle. If I am held in contempt of not following procedure then feel free to point it out but from my perspective this a scam.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

what is the re-embursment worth? about $60?
Guess it boild down to how much you'll be getting and what it worht to you
Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Michel
6th Gear Member

lol we have the same thing at U of T. I filed all my info back in september and usually get the check in March. Its usually for $230 or something; i don't really understand why it takes them 6 months to give me my money back. They should make it an option to want insurance instead of forcing you to pay it through tuition.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Talk to your student Union Rep.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
xlash
Still learning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328IScreamer View Post
what is the re-embursment worth? about $60?
Guess it boild down to how much you'll be getting and what it worht to you
It's $163. I haven't filed any claims so I want that entire amount back. I'm not following up on this when half the year is over. I initated this before the opt-out date.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
xlash
Still learning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
lol we have the same thing at U of T. I filed all my info back in september and usually get the check in March. Its usually for $230 or something; i don't really understand why it takes them 6 months to give me my money back. They should make it an option to want insurance instead of forcing you to pay it through tuition.
It's a scam. I don't see how else this can be viewed as anything but when you've got students who suffer deep financial deficits upon graduation.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Is it a separate payment? Did they take out the money?

if it were visa you can re-track the payment or get the back to get it back for you if they can.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
xlash
Still learning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
Is it a separate payment? Did they take out the money?

if it were visa you can re-track the payment or get the back to get it back for you if they can.
Nope it's not a separate payment. I pay my fees through online banking. I didn't even have a choice in the matter as it's an opt-out process. To answer your question, the fees I paid included tuition and other supplementary fees that I was forced to pay.

They play on students' naivety knowing that the majority of them will be caught up with papers, assignments and exams and won't bother to follow through with the opt-out procedure. Well I did and yet they found a loophole to scam me out my money. Seems like they have a process in place to extort money by any means.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

There are always obstacles to get your money back at University. I had friends that ran into the same issue. They had so many hurdles to go through to get their money back.

Your best bet is to appeal and if you can provide proof of your due-diligence. Do you have the receipt of the opt-out online forms? as well as the receipt for mailing the proof of coverage?

Good luck
Nikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
xlash
Still learning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikku View Post
There are always obstacles to get your money back at University. I had friends that ran into the same issue. They had so many hurdles to go through to get their money back.

Your best bet is to appeal and if you can provide proof of your due-diligence. Do you have the receipt of the opt-out online forms? as well as the receipt for mailing the proof of coverage?

Good luck
Yes I have the e-mail I received when I did the online opt-out but I don't have a receipt for the mail I sent out with my proof of coverage. I didn't go to Canada Post; I had stamps at home.

I just e-mailed the student association. This is going to be a long and uphill battle.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
sirex
King Sirex

wow that sucks for you man... i never had a problem thankfully.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
xlash
Still learning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
wow that sucks for you man... i never had a problem thankfully.
Didn't have a problem in 4 years of undergrad. In grad school I tried not to drop the ball and got stiffed anyway.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 AM   #13
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

When I was going to York U we had until the end of November or so, I filled it the first week of September. After the first time I did it, never had to again.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E. View Post
When I was going to York U we had until the end of November or so, I filled it the first week of September. After the first time I did it, never had to again.
Ya, york makes it easier because they do not require you to pay the premium in the first place if you have coverage... I only had to do it the first year too and thereafter I was good for the remaining 3

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
325isdan
5th Gear Member

again, talk to your student Union Rep.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: