Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

lowering the car need help

been driving a 92 325i with 17s on. wanted 2 try soemthin new for the summer so was considering to lower the car. i just needed help with it.

1. its an old car so was wondering if i should just buy springs n throw those on. but would i need to replace my shocks too or can i just use the stock shocks.

2. ive seen alot of ppl on the forum runnin low. wht kinda drop would i get frm just replacing the springs

3. how does the car handle on the road with only springs. ive heard mixed stories where some say cars handle better n some say the car will jump around like crazy

any help would b appriciated. do you guys know any local store in the GTA tht sells springs i really dont wana buy off of ebay

thanks alot
Shafhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
1. when your change your springs to anything different then stock, you should replace stock shocks with proper shocks for lowering a car. in my old e30, i got coilovers. old car but handled and rode like new with new suspension. if you think your going to get rid of the car because its "old", then don't bother on buying stuff for it.

2. replacing the front spring only will cause a rake effect. (front low, rear high). looks dumb and should not be done because it messes up the balance. they ride low because they have adjustable coilovers. this allows them to adjust the ride height to what they want and give more range to adjusting how high the car sits and sometimes the softness of the shocks.

3. ever seen those cars that bounce like crazy? running no shocks/just springs will make your car bounce like a pogo stick. having no shock travel or spring travel makes your ride feel like every bump is a speed bump.

check most shops. bimmersport and other sponsers can help you out.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
magnus
6th Gear Member

/\What he said!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Eurotakeover
BMW Obsessed

coilovers and call it a day.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

It depends and actually contrary to what most people will lead you to believe. If you're going for a mild drop (like from sport springs) you don't need to go with new shocks if they're fairly new to begin with, which I'm going to guess is not your case.

If you want to lower your car, you can get a shock/spring combo that is matched, or if you have some knowledge you can match your own. Generally you want to use a shock that has a shorter stroke, that way you're in the optimal area of shock travel.

Your other option is going with a full set of coilovers. That means you're able to adjust the height of your car via threaded collars/perches to your liking. Most of the time coilovers come with matched shocks. Be aware that there are companies that sell coilover sleeves that do not come with shocks and that you will need then to match a set yourself (the company will make suggestions) depending on your driving style/application/spring rate that you choose.

That said, you need to know the following things:

1. Budget
2. How low
3. Application (race, street, mix). Although more then likely your budget will determine the application most of the time.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
e30blue
2nd Gear Member

Google Raceland Coilovers...

Order from there website.

install them.

thank me

anyone who flames on raceland doesnt understand Drop on a budget.
e30blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30blue View Post
Google Raceland Coilovers...

Order from there website.

install them.

thank me

anyone who flames on raceland doesnt understand Drop on a budget.
Anyone who buys garbage like that is pretty ignorant

Trying to skimp out that hard on suspension is not only dangerous, it also says you cannot afford to drive/maintain your car.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
Eurotakeover
BMW Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post

Trying to skimp out that hard on suspension is not only dangerous, it also says you cannot afford to drive/maintain your car.
I wouldn't buy them... but I think it all depends on the application to which you are using them... street driving/spirited/track etc...

Obviously, raceland is ONLY good for lowering and DD street use.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
Shafhan
2nd Gear Member

thanks every1 4 all the input i appriciate it alot.

my car is my DD n i dont race it or anythin. neither is it worthy of being a track car lol its just my beater 4 now n ill see if i keep it 4 another year or upgrade 2 an e46.

whtz wrong with raceland coilovers i mean does the car get bumpy or stuff

its just tht this will b my first time doing soemthin of the such on a car n i just wanted 2 know wht im gettin myself into n how much would i be looking at

thanks again 4 all the input i think ill call bimmersport 2morrow thanks yet again
Shafhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafhan View Post
thanks every1 4 all the input i appriciate it alot.

my car is my DD n i dont race it or anythin. neither is it worthy of being a track car lol its just my beater 4 now n ill see if i keep it 4 another year or upgrade 2 an e46.

whtz wrong with raceland coilovers i mean does the car get bumpy or stuff

its just tht this will b my first time doing soemthin of the such on a car n i just wanted 2 know wht im gettin myself into n how much would i be looking at

thanks again 4 all the input i think ill call bimmersport 2morrow thanks yet again
wow... I guess you don't read all too well huh?

ok, I'll spoon feed you one last time.

Your car will be bumpy if you mismatch the springs and shocks and/or if your shocks are on their way out.

You get what you pay for when it comes to suspension.

To do it right you're going to pay $600-800 min.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
...Your car will be bumpy if you mismatch the springs and shocks and/or if your shocks are on their way out...
You get what you pay for when it comes to suspension...
To do it right you're going to pay $600-800 min.
+1 on all three counts. Been there, done that!

My previous E36:
-Started with Bilstein Sport + Eibach Sportline. Hated them. See my thread on BF.C as to why (Bilstein Sport - Ride Quality Concerns). Cliffnotes: too low of a ride height resulted in constant maxing out the shock travel. Sucked ass.
-Swapped to Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. Changed EVERYTHING. This is what a great handling suspension feels like. Ofcourse, there are other alternatives (TCK, KW, Ground Control, etc).

My current E46:
-Came with H&R Race springs for the slammed look. Downside? Stock shocks. Ride sucked ass. Yes, it looked great but handled like shit; so much body roll, and again relentless maximization of shock travel; and bouncy ride on uneven roads.
-Swapped to Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and I'm back in driving heaven.

My point is, do it once and do it right. Get a proper set of coilovers! Even a PSS kit (no rebound adjustment) will cost you around 1000 bucks or so I think and you'll be super happy. I'd personally prefer one with rebound adjustment though, ie. PSS9/10. Get a MATCHED set of shocks and springs (ie. coilovers) and you'll never look back.

My $0.02

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black

Last edited by dbworld4k; 02-25-2010 at 09:46 AM.
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
+1 on all three counts. Been there, done that!

My previous E36:
-Started with Bilstein Sport + Eibach Sportline. Hated them. See my thread on BF.C as to why (Bilstein Sport - Ride Quality Concerns). Cliffnotes: too low of a ride height resulted in constant maxing out the shock travel. Sucked ass.
-Swapped to Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. Changed EVERYTHING. This is what a great handling suspension feels like. Ofcourse, there are other alternatives (TCK, KW, Ground Control, etc).

My current E46:
-Came with H&R Race springs for the slammed look. Downside? Stock shocks. Ride sucked ass. Yes, it looked great but handled like shit; so much body roll, and again relentless maximization of shock travel; and bouncy ride on uneven roads.
-Swapped to Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and I'm back in driving heaven.

My point is, do it once and do it right. Get a proper set of coilovers! Even a PSS kit (no rebound adjustment) will cost you around 1000 bucks or so I think and you'll be super happy. I'd personally prefer one with rebound adjustment though, ie. PSS9/10. Get a MATCHED set of shocks and springs (ie. coilovers) and you'll never look back.

My $0.02
ditto, been there, done that (e46). Now riding on PSS10 and love it.
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
e30blue
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post

Now im sure PSS9's or any other Ebiach coilover system is lightyears ahead in performance compared to racelands.

the person in question wants a "cosmetic drop" not I want to shave off a couple of seconds off my lap time..

obviously you have never owned a set of raceland coilovers because if you did you would definitly not be bad mouthing them.

now personally I have not done a long term test on these coilovers my self, but there are PLENTY of E36's on Racelands and theyve put well over 5000 MILES on them and no complaints.

Not to mention tried tested and true on the VW scene.

If you have owned or know someone on racelands and the one of the components failed please post your story.

let me just say again, if its strictly cosmetic/daily driver go with racelands.
it will be the best 280 bucks shipped youll ever spend.

but if you want back breaking stiff suspension go with PSS9's for at least 1500 dollars more
e30blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Now im sure PSS9's or any other Ebiach coilover system is lightyears ahead in performance compared to racelands.

the person in question wants a "cosmetic drop" not I want to shave off a couple of seconds off my lap time..

obviously you have never owned a set of raceland coilovers because if you did you would definitly not be bad mouthing them.

now personally I have not done a long term test on these coilovers my self, but there are PLENTY of E36's on Racelands and theyve put well over 5000 MILES on them and no complaints.

If you have owned or know someone on racelands and the one of the components failed please post your story.

but if you want back breaking stiff suspension go with PSS9's for at least 1500 dollars more

Don't listen to this guy. PSS9's are not back breaking stiff. They are adjustable unlike the Racelands. I have a friend with racelands and they are far too soft. Not to mention each spring has a different rate! If you want to be low, you need to have something stiff enough to stop you from rubbing your tire or even worse, your rim. Racelands don't do this. In 100% honesty, his racelands feel the same as my BLOWN stock suspension did with H&R sports.

And my biggest argument. I don't care if Racelands will work for 5000 miles. Why pay $250 for some cheap coilovers and have to replace them every year when I can spend around $1200 and get some that will last years and years of track and street abuse.

These are BMWs, not Honda Civics.

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:

wow... you couldn't be more wrong. I hope no one listens to you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: