Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
///Maluco
5erholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Bangle View Post
The only issue with going to the GP track for your first time, is that at DDT one can play around with the car more to feel the limit, if you put a wheel off or even spin - no big deal, the GP track is not quite conducive to it.
I have to agree with this statement. The DDT is a great start for beginners and it does help you understand your car before you take it to the next level of speed.

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #17
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

the GP track is designed for speed, which meens more then generous run off space if something happens, which actually makes it just as if not more safe then the ddt track, even at higher speeds.

Yes the famed corner 2 is indimidating, but with good instructors and a quality driving school, you will be taken through and feel comfortable with the GP track, as safety is number 1!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

So at Trillium, which will be the beginner's course? and how is this conducted

Every event caters to each skill level. We run 3 run groups beginner/novice is 'C', intermediate is 'B', and advanced is 'A'. However, as stated in some of the other posts, those who are intimidated with the Mosport GP track would prefer to start on the DDT. I personally just want track time, anywhere, anyhow, anyway. So, I'll leave it up to you where you want to start. We have an event on the 25th of April, at the Mosport DDT, it is a one day school and a good primer to start off the season. There isn't enough time to go through all of the Ross Bentley Curriculum, which IS what we use, but like I said earlier a good primer for the season. Our instructors are meeting on the 24th at the DDT to get a briefing for the season and have some warm up track time. Then the next weekend we are at the GP track for our full 2 day school. Here we cover the entire curriculum and the learning curve is vast.
I look forward to seeing all of you out at our events this year. And please, keep the questions and interest coming.

If any of you have some suggestions of things you would like to see, or do at some of our events, my ears are wide open.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
Gleb
E30 ..?

I am long time member of Trillium and 3 year old instructor for the club. I also instruct for Hanson, Ferrari and others.

1. Bang for the buck, you will be hard pressed to get more track time with instruction, anywhere but Trillium.

2. There is nothing wrong with starting to learn on the GP track. No instructor will let a beginner overdrive their car at ANY track!
As I like to say to my students: "Don't try to impress me, cause you can't, and don't try to scare me, cause I already am."
If your car is capable of going faster, it DOESN'T mean that you are capable of it!
But I dare you find a better track in North America!

3. I have yet to see a better organized 3 day school than Trillium.

4. Finding the limits of your car should be the LAST thing on your mind, if you are a beginner.

5. As stated before, pretty much the same group of people instructs at Trillium, Ferrari, Hanson, Saab... etc.
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
Chris_Bangle
2nd Gear Member

Gleb,

None of your students will ever override their car with you in it

Personally, I would simply suggest karting instead of this whole tracking thing, it is 'relatively' cheaper and allot more balanced.

P.S.

I saw some real "instructors" at the solo one day at Mosport.
Chris_Bangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #21
Gleb
E30 ..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Bangle View Post
Gleb,

None of your students will ever override their car with you in it

Personally, I would simply suggest karting instead of this whole tracking thing, it is 'relatively' cheaper and allot more balanced.

P.S.

I saw some real "instructors" at the solo one day at Mosport.
Funny guy... I guess you know all about "overriding"... from a book?

Karting (serious karting), while great, requires a somewhat different set of skills, same as autocross, or rally, you just can't compare them. But it's good practice, if one is serious about "this whole tracking thing".

P.S. You ain't seen nothin' yet
Gleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: