Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

Ordering online

I'm about to buy an intake off of someone on e46fanatics. He/she is shipping it from Boston. Most likely paying through paypal (if the deal goes through).

I've never ordered anything online privately where they've had to ship it. Is there anything I should do to protect myself? What can I do if it turns out to be a scam (i've heard about complaining to paypal or something)?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Arash
6th Gear Member

make sure they are a verified paypal user. Also make sure he/she isn't a noob on the forum.. couple of quick ways to check. I've bought many things privately from US, I always check for those things and never any problems,, but heard of many ripoff stories so be careful.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Paypal does a good job @ protecting you if he's legitimate. See if he has an eBay site. If I can find the same part on eBay (not a knock-off) of the part, then I go eBay. With eBay you get both eBay and Paypal protection, also you can see how many transactions the user has and the satisfaction rating of the user.... I try to buy from User's with PowerSeller ratings and hundreds if not thousands of transactions.... If you are buying from another user, then make sure they have a paypal account and then consider the price of the part you're buying. Then you have to decide whether you believe he's not gonna rip you off.... Likely, if he's a regular contributor to e46Fanatics, they shold have multiple posts.....
nachos23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
daytona
6th Gear Member

Two words....credit card....never pay thru Paypal using your account balance unless the seller has a strong history.You have chargeback protection if the seller screws you if your using your CC for payment.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
with paypal, you have 45 days to dispute the deal. if you don't get the parts in 40 days then dispute it.

i've ordered headlights from germany once and the person took off with $300 of my money. i disputed it, they never replied, paypal gave me my money back.

oh, and definitely make sure they provide a tracking number and they have been on the forums for a while.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
daytona
6th Gear Member

KL if the seller has no balance in his account you get no money from Paypal,thats why always pay by CC....you may win a judgment against the seller thru Paypal but if the seller has no balance you get no money.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

Well he's not really that active on that site, I think he only has ~150 posts. The intake is a Simota, he's offered me it for $175 shipped ($100 more and I can get it brand new, so I'm still thinking of whether or not I should just buy it new and not worry about getting screwed over).

How can I pay him through credit card? Or do you mean pay through paypal using a credit card?

So basically if I pay through paypal, than I can only file a claim (have a chance at getting my $ back) if he has a balance on his account?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

BTW I searched to see if he sold anything else and nope, not even any ratings on his profile.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Personally I would buy new that 100 dollars your saving really isn't worth it you have to consider border fees to may have to wait long and it's a used part and your taking the chance. Just my 2 cents
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

^^^You got a good point, exactly what I was thinking. Lol why can't these parts be available readily in Canada .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: