Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Anyone know a good shop in Kitchener/Waterloo or Cambridge

I need some help diagnosing a cooling system problem that's driving me up the wall. Here's a little info.

The rad in my E36 sprung a leak towards the end of last summer. The date on the rad was June 2003 so I thought I might as well do the entire cooling system so I would avoid problems later. I took the car to Bimmersport and they did just that.

After about a week of driving, the check coolant level warning came up on the OBC. I checked and sure enough the expansion tank was bone dry. No problem I said and went to Waterloo BMW to grab a bottle ($29) of coolant. I topped it up and just thought nothing of it.

A few weeks later the warning comes up again. I let the car sit overnight and check first thing the next morning. Sure enough, the tank is bone dry again. I checked around for leaks but didn't come up with any so I let it go as the system not being filled to the right level after the swap so I topped it up again.

A couple weeks later the warning comes up again but this time I was due for an oil change so I just left it until I brought the car in. I asked Charlie to check it for me. He did and topped it up once again. This was in December.

The car sat from the end of December until mid January as I was on vacation. I drive the car for about a week then the warning comes up again. I check the next morning and sure enough it's bone dry again. This time however, I see a few drops of coolant on the front of the valve cover. Ok, so now I know something is leaking but couldn't find it at the time.

I drive the car for a few more days and nothing. No warning and no coolant anywhere. I start to feel much better but that didn't last long. Wednesday I go to get into the car but notice there's a small puddle under the front bumper. I check and sure enough its coolant. Now I'm pissed. I open the hood and there's coolant everywhere. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from so I take the car for a drive. I let it warm up and drive it around for about 10 minutes and check again. Guess what? Nothing! No leaks no nothing!

My schedule sucks right now which keeps me from getting down to Bimmersport (I live in Kitchener obviously) and I need this looked at before it gets out of hand. I don't think it's anything extreme like the head gasket because the oil looks clean and there isn't any white smoke or funny smells. The temp gauge always sits where it should and the car was never overheated in the 3 years that I've owned it. I've been to a couple of places here but they tell me they don't deal with these cars and nobody opens on Saturdays anymore so I'm looking for something close to home.

If anyone has any recommendations please post or pm me. Sorry for the long story lol.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
ABUSTAIF
ZA3EEM

tell charlie to come to kitchener .

ABUSTAIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Don't give me any ideas
Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

Not many decent and fair BMW shops in KW. There's a new guy at 621 Colby Drive. Shop is called Germantech, run by Mike who used to work at Futamir (Porsche and Audi tech). Haven't been there but he's local and seems knowledgeable.

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Thanks Mike! I'll look them up this week.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Those problems can be very hard to figure out! Friend of mine had had it happen on 2 cars, and every time it will NOT leak when near a shop/mechanic. On one of them i found out a pin size hole on a coolant hose, and the other was a plastic fitting behind the head (M44)...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

The thing that is baffling me is that everything is new. After your post I'm now wondering if something they put on was defective. I've been doing some reading and it seems a lot of people have had bad luck with the aluminum t-stat housing leaking. I spent over 8 bills on this so I wouldn't be in this situation lol.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

My father started taking his M5 to Furtmair for service a couple years ago and hasn't had any problems, the quality of the work has been good.

http://www.furtmair.com/

and yeah one of Furtmair's mechanics left to start his own shop (last year I think?)
http://www.germanautotech.ca/
Haven't been there personally but I know one guy who takes his car there and I haven't heard anything bad yet.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them this week.

Last edited by R_JAY; 02-08-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
My b/f sisters b/f...(lol I know so confusing) opened a shop in that area his name is Roman he is great we have had some work done there before. On a side note he is a BMW tech he just decided to open his own thing.

519-589-6365
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Girl View Post
My b/f sisters b/f...(lol I know so confusing) opened a shop in that area his name is Roman he is great we have had some work done there before. On a side note he is a BMW tech he just decided to open his own thing.

519-589-6365
Ya its my sister's BF. The shop name is AutoCube in Waterloo. He was going on about some badass scan tool that he just bought. His work is good and his diagnosis has always been really accurate, when the scan tools and BMW dealerships lie.
careless7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Thanks for all the suggestions but I got it sorted out last Thursday. After getting home, I popped the hood and finally saw where the coolant was coming from. The clamp on the upper rad hose was really loose. The hose didn't come off and the clamp "appeared" to be tight which is why I didn't check it.

I tightened up all the clamps and bled the system and so far so good. Four days and the level is where it should be.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
Ryan Ahn
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by careless7 View Post
Ya its my sister's BF. The shop name is AutoCube in Waterloo. He was going on about some badass scan tool that he just bought. His work is good and his diagnosis has always been really accurate, when the scan tools and BMW dealerships lie.
Ya!

I love this shop.
I had a problem on the airbag light(E85 Z4 3.0 si). He removed the falut signal easily.
He is so nice and kind! Also, ask reasonable price!
Ryan Ahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: