Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
nickdaytona
2nd Gear Member

US to Canadian Conversion help needed.

I'll be bringing my 740iL up next week and I have access to a parts car to hopefully get the items neccesary to bring it up to RIV standards.

Question #1.Is there a specific relay for daytime running lights? and if so , where is it?

#2. rear seat child seat belt attchments. How many & where?

#3. rumoured cluster change? Or can I use the display overlays?

#4. Anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help !
1968 Ford Mustang-Noni's summer car
1972 '02- son Alexs' first car
1997 BMW 740iL-Moms' pimp car
1990 GTR - the missile
1990 VW Corrado-422 HP @ 23Lbs.
1975 Kawi Z-1 900
Assorted dirt machines
nickdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

For the DRL's, they can be programmed on/off with any GT1 machine
Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

i dont think you need to make any cluster changes.
program your DRLS as stated with the GT1. are you sure you need child seat anchors? i dont have any in my 3. and its legal.
also youll need a letter from BMW canada stating the car is devoid of recall defects (fork over some big change) not to mention a bunch of other red tape bs that lines the pockets of our ever so wonderful MOT.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Mikey83
3rd Gear Member

I imported mine a few years ago and you do need DRL and a BMW letter stating there are no outstanding recalls on the car. Cluster can stay how it is. RIV accepted a carfax for my car about the no outstanding recalls all, don't know how picky there are now a days.

btw I toke off the DRL after it passed inspection at the Canadian Tire which RIV makes ya do.

2003 745Li Titanium Sliver Metallic w/ Black Interior
PDC, ACC, Cold Weather Package, Convenience Package, Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound Package.
21" OEM Style 128, Angel iBright V3 w/ Matching Fogs, H&R Springs, BTUM8000, LED Side/Front Markers, White Bulb Interior/License Plate,
Stealth Bulb Signals, 15mm Rear Spacers, ACS Style Roof and Trunk Spoilers, Debadged
Mikey83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
SFX Group
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SFX Group
I imported 3 motorcycles from the UK to Canada, know RIV very well now (not a good thing lol)

Dash will be fine (they give you stickers, however you have KPH in the middle so thats legal), Seatbelt you can do with getting the bolt, if you sound like you know what your doing the Canadian Tire people are good, i got away with alot on the bikes (no RIV sticker on that bike yet, was still in my hand, it passed).

Headlights can be programmed as it should be HIGH BEAM at half power, ive seen some with the HID main lights on all the time (which is legal) but will burn the lamps out.

I am sure i have the programming code needed to change those (once you are at BMW with the computer plugged in).

One dealer quoted me $100 to do it, was about 15 mins work to plug computer in and shoot the code to the car).

Your need a recal letter to confirm all recals completed and something to prove there are no chassis damage in its history (CARFAX will probs do for that), however letter from BMW will be the longest hardest part i think of all of this (had issues with the bikes over that).

Be carful about ringing RIV, they dont know everything (normal people in a call center), i spoke with Customs who knew what i needed way better, even told me to get stuff in email from RIV as they have a habbit of getting stuff wrong.

Your next problem (maybe) will be MTO, however with a USA car you should be fine (i have a UK bike with 12 digit VIN which the letter from Honda on there headed paper with my VIN on wasnt good enough for them, however was fine for RIV and Customs, go figure !!!!

while here, go to the RIV website, they have a nice form with check boxes for you to tick to make sure you did everything, worked wonders for me

Last edited by SFX Group; 06-16-2011 at 11:41 PM.
SFX Group is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: