Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
///MG
3rd Gear Member

Pets... cats...

Hey all,

I recently moved into a condo and I want to get a pet. I favour dogs over cats but I dont like little dogs and I can't have a big one... I also travel quite a bit and work on a schedule that changes all the time so I dont have the time to take care of a dog and take it out on walks, etc.

I'm thinking about adopting a kitten from the humane society. Anyone have any experience with the humane society? good? bad?

Also, what's the monthly cost (approximate) for "maintanance" (food, litter, etc).

Any info would be cool,
Thanks.
2004 Mitsubishi Galant SOLD
1993 Plymouth Duster SOLD
///MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

It's only gonna cost you ~$40/mo. for food and litter (if that). My only advice is if you're away a lot, make sure you have someone to change the litter frequently for you. Most cats are pretty particular about where they go and if the box is getting dirty, they'll find somewhere else. Nothing worse than a pissy cat and that smell is the worst and hard to get rid of.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
///MG
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Nick. I don't actually go away that frequently but the unscheduled lifestyle would be too much for a dog that needs to be walked 3-4 times a day. Either myself or my brother would be home to change the litter at least once a day so that's not a problem.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
daytona
6th Gear Member

if you dont have time to take care of a dog a cat needs just as much attention.Cats are not maintenance free,they also need personal care.If you basically not at home most of the time I dont think its suitable at this time to get a pet,but if you still focus on one the Humane Society is a great place even with the BS going on there.Cost wise all depends on the level of pampering for them,I estimate about $1200 a year if you factor in medical check ups,food and toys...
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
if you dont have time to take care of a dog a cat needs just as much attention.Cats are not maintenance free,they also need personal care.If you basically not at home most of the time I dont think its suitable at this time to get a pet,but if you still focus on one the Humane Society is a great place even with the BS going on there.Cost wise all depends on the level of pampering for them,I estimate about $1200 a year if you factor in medical check ups,food and toys...
i've had a cat and i think cats are more independent then dogs in a lot of ways.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
i've had a cat and i think cats are more independent then dogs in a lot of ways.
+1... cats take care of themselves. Some of them like attention, sure, but they don't need the level of attention that dogs do.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
///MG
3rd Gear Member

Again, when I said I don't have time to take care of a dog, I meant that I don't have the time to walk it 3-4 times a day. I will definately find time to play with the cat for a bit everyday, even if it's as simple as laser pointers and brush it everyday.

I found a pretty cool cat at the HS. The good things about HS is that the cats come with all the vaccinations, fixed and chipped and for a fraction of the price if I was to get a kitten and pay for a vet to do it. Adopting an adult cat is about $120 at the HS.

She's 1.5 yrs old, black and white (tummy and paws) and super friendly. She's long-haired which means I'll have to brush her everyday but she's worth it. She's getting spayed on tuesday so if all goes well, she'll come home with me for the weekend.

I'll post pix if I get her. (It's 1st come 1st serve so there's a slight component of luck invovled when adopting from HS)
Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
A~G
Car Payment Free

Send a message via MSN to A~G
My girlfriend (now my wife) had a cat (which is now my cat aswell) and I had the hardest time with adjusting to life with a feline.\\ +there was no way she would get rid of it.

You have to consider the following:

1) Possible constant meowing. Some cats are quiet, some cats meow all the time. It may seem cute at first, but if you're trying to sleep its not so great.

2) Trouble-making cats - you're sleeping... wake up to the sound of your cat knocking over a plant.

3) Be prepared to spend hundreds at the vet if your cat needs anything from a regular check up to dental work.

4) Some cats may ruin furniture. Our cat is not de-clawed - apparently its cruel to the cat. Luckily she's good about not ruining anything. We bought leather couches about a year ago with no problems from the kitty.

5) Hairballs. Doesn't happen very often but when it does its gross. Be ready to have a ball of cat puke and hair on your nice carpet.

I'm sure there is more that I'm not thinking of....

Just trying to put things into perspective. I had some issues at first, now Jadey (the cat) is part of our family. Love her the way I loved my dog growing up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jadey.jpg (38.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg jadey1.jpg (31.4 KB, 109 views)

A~G

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.
A~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
///MG
3rd Gear Member

Nice cat AG.

The cat at HS is actually declawed (and I also read some reviews about cruelty, etc.) but at least the furniture will survive. I don't have carpets in the condo which will make any possible hairballs easier to clean up (although I bet it's discusting)... and the meowing/trouble-making is just something that is a risk of owning a pet which I'm willing to accept.

Vet trips can be expensive... I know... (luckily I have a friend who's a vet so hopefully I'll get discounts lol)
Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
A~G
Car Payment Free

Living in a 1 bedroom apartment we had quite a few disagreements regarding placement of the litterbox. I had never previously owned a cat but I knew that litterboxes smell like shit and there is really no good place to put them in an 800sq foot apartment with easy access for the cat.

My mother in law bought us the answer to all of our problems. A side table that actually holds the litterbox. Gives the cat its privacy, and you can't even tell the litterbox is there (*keeps the smell in too). I'm sensitive to having a clean place... this was the answer to all of my problems.

I'm not sure where she bought it... you can probably find it online somewhere. Its 100% hardwood too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpWCGgwaPM.jpg (40.6 KB, 109 views)

A~G

Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
A~G
Car Payment Free

I would actually show you how the side doors open and the box slides out on a desk shelf type of a thing + the drawer that holds all of the cat toys + grooming brushes etc... but the cat has done her business in there not too long ago

A~G

Old 01-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

^^lol never seen one of those but that's too cool.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
mazdaRXwhat
2nd Gear Member

I adopted a kitten from THS almost a year ago..the experience was pretty good but had to push them pretty hard to actually show me the kittens as they did at the time have quite a few adolescent cats up for adoption. Overall probably the best decision I made getting him from there...not the smartest cat Ive owned but he certainly makes me laugh and cant imagine not having him now at this point.
mazdaRXwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
We have two cats, like you I like dogs but would never own a small one. I got my cat from the Humane society about 2 years ago and he's awesome. Not to needy but if you are home he will sit on my lap and go to sleep or on the desk.

My gfs cat can be a little crazy but it's not really that bad unless you have treats:

You can see my cat on the ground being calm and wanting to be petted.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
///MG
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
We have two cats, like you I like dogs but would never own a small one. I got my cat from the Humane society about 2 years ago and he's awesome. Not to needy but if you are home he will sit on my lap and go to sleep or on the desk.

My gfs cat can be a little crazy but it's not really that bad unless you have treats:

You can see my cat on the ground being calm and wanting to be petted.

LMFAO! Great video. Awesome cat!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: