Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #16
Lochnessmobs
1st Gear Newbie

Getting the computer to speak to the engine would be a nightmare. Sell it, get an M3 and snow tires work wonders
Lochnessmobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochnessmobs View Post
Getting the computer to speak to the engine would be a nightmare. Sell it, get an M3 and snow tires work wonders
welcome to 2010

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
I support this idea because no matter how much money you pour into the car there is always someone faster
The car only goes as fast as you'll let it go. Even shit cars like Hyundai can go fast.

Last week I seen a guy in a Mazda 3 2.5 I figured... well he has the same SIZE engine as me but with 24 years of 'improvements' he should kick my ass.

He was ahead of me so I let him try to escape and he couldn't. In fact I had to back off.

A few days later I looked up the Mazda 3 to see what the 'stats' are on that thing. 167hp @6000 (my m20 stock 168hp @5800) And I have a few improvements that shouldn't hurt.

Okay... so much for 'new cars are better' I still have more power after 24 years. Next we have weight. Mazda 3... 2969-3108 lb !!! fat as hell. I know I've trimmed about 3-400lbs of niceties from my car so I have that advantage. Too much USELESS garbage in new cars.

Of course you can't compare an e30 to a Mazda 3, that's like comparing nice apples to shitty apples. The e30 was better designed, better made, adjusted for inflation the $30,000 e30 in 87 would be worth $60,606 in 2012.

Okay, okay... I'm slightly off topic.

Advice to the OP: Save your money until he actually accomplishes this idea of his... The big problem I see is you can't swap to a non-stock engine easily in the newer cars. They check these things now when you get emissions.

If you want to play around get an e30.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 10-27-2012 at 12:22 PM.
InfiniteDice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDice View Post
The car only goes as fast as you'll let it go. Even shit cars like Hyundai can go fast.

Last week I seen a guy in a Mazda 3 2.5 I figured... well he has the same SIZE engine as me but with 24 years of 'improvements' he should kick my ass.

He was ahead of me so I let him try to escape and he couldn't. In fact I had to back off.

A few days later I looked up the Mazda 3 to see what the 'stats' are on that thing. 167hp @6000 (my m20 stock 168hp @5800) And I have a few improvements that shouldn't hurt.

Okay... so much for 'new cars are better' I still have more power after 24 years. Next we have weight. Mazda 3... 2969-3108 lb !!! fat as hell. I know I've trimmed about 3-400lbs of niceties from my car so I have that advantage. Too much USELESS garbage in new cars.

Of course you can't compare an e30 to a Mazda 3, that's like comparing nice apples to shitty apples. The e30 was better designed, better made, adjusted for inflation the $30,000 e30 in 87 would be worth $60,606 in 2012.

Okay, okay... I'm slightly off topic.

Advice to the OP: Save your money until he actually accomplishes this idea of his... The big problem I see is you can't swap to a non-stock engine easily in the newer cars. They check these things now when you get emissions.

If you want to play around get an e30.
Lol someone is very Proud of his e30. Hyundai shitty, mazda shitty, newer bmw still shitty because they have useless garbage right? Lol
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226 View Post
Lol someone is very Proud of his e30. Hyundai shitty, mazda shitty, newer bmw still shitty because they have useless garbage right? Lol
hahahah
Old 10-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226 View Post
Don't you know the E30 is the best car ever made! If Chuck Norris was a car, he would be an E30, if God ever needs a vehicle he only drives E30's!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!

Last edited by Eurostyle; 10-27-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
Lochnessmobs
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
welcome to 2010

Saw post date long after I read the thread...oops
Lochnessmobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #23
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Sometimes I get carried away.

I have my own opinion on the current state of the 'automobile'.

• Yes I think new cars are cool looking (some times).
• Yes I think they can do all kinds of safety testing and make cars more efficient than they did in the past.
•Yes occupant safety in most cases is better now than ever.

On another note there are hindrances to the auto enthusiast that never existed before:
• Emissions tests for 88 and newer up (up to 7 years old exempt?)
• More toy-oriented features which weigh more, that you can do at home.
• Component based parts, can't just change a bearing now, can't just change an o-ring... Some components are easily swapped so no need to rebuild anything (but sorry you can't change that $1 plastic part it comes with a larger component. Cost: $700)
• Can't swap an engine, all kinds of laws and tests and computers that don't jive with this or that... My car won't function properly because I disabled the ABS. Who really needs ABS? I've driven for 14 years and never needed it once. Maybe I'm just a good statistic.
• GPS everything, nobody can read a map anymore... they blindly follow GPS instructions even if they think they are wrong... I've seen people go totally the wrong way.

My point?

Speaking for the enthusiast, we don't like to be messed around with. Let me take care of my car and maintain it. I don't need an mp3 player, a back massager, traction control, steering assist, levitation, object avoidance systems, so on and so forth. It's great that some people want/need those things, not me. And it certainly shouldn't become REQUIRED!

"But my ford focus parks itself... it's better!..." no you're pathetic and need to be hit over the head with a rubber hammer.

"My 'future' car drives itself! I can sleep on the way to the office..." Congrats! you just bought your very own public transport system for $100,000, that you need to maintain by taking it to overpriced techno-wannabes who overcharge you. Why not just take the train/bus/cab? Or if you're so rich get a private limo & driver.

You may think I'm a technophobe but I'm quite the opposite. I just don't need any help with the operation of my vehicle, I enjoy all the feel and control and danger comes with the activity. I do all the work myself because I don't feel like having to train people how the car functions every time.

Example: I took my car in for the custom stainless exhaust (headers - back) and the monkeys managed to bust off my ignition wire harness. Who would have thought it was bolted to the valve cover? "It was already like that" I'm like... no it wasn't. Bloody monkey! lol

The e30 just happens to strike a pretty happy balance, somewhere between old and new. Modern enough (still has features that a Hyundai doesn't to this day) yet old enough for that road feel and simplicity.

To each their own, and all that jazz. Some people have more money than they really need and they piss it away, kudos to them on money well spent! (sarcasm)

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 10-30-2012 at 04:16 PM.
InfiniteDice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #24
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

If he's putting that turbo engine from the C5, he should think again!!
An M3 motor in an all wheel drive?? ha ha ha

I think you're trolling bro!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
cormier
6th Gear Member

Listen to him, buy an e30 :p jkjk

But in all seriousness, good advice by all. Most awd e46s that upgrade are SC or turbo powered as mentioned-- an s54 is not your best option. You want that power, buy an m3 or a 330. Or an e30 and put an LSx in it -- would probably be cheaper than s54-ing your xi.

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #26
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
A) this thread is old as sh*t, doubt the OP even has this car still.. lol
B) If you want a quick car with AWD, Just go buy an Evo, an Sti or an s4 and be done with it.. just my opinion

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
98bimmer
2nd Gear Member

Old thread is old.

With that said theres someone on e46fanatics with s54xi lol
98bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #28
cormier
6th Gear Member

*sigh... Well it's bumped now