Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
someguy
Singhy

I had this problem on my first e36. After examining the mechanism in motion, I noticed that there was too much play in the whole system. I started taking apart the lifting mechanism and noticed that the white plastic sliding piece that snaps on to the end of the regulator arm was cracked and would split open during operation, creating some play. So I went to the stealership and got them ($7 IIRC). That fixed the problem for about a month, but it came back. It was less commonly than before, so I let it be. Later that year I opened it up again and the white piece was still intact, but the mechanism still had too much play in it. Like before, that extra play caused the glass to go up slightly tilted, making it rub against the window frame. I gave up and lived with it...I blame it on poor design and/or material selection; the regulator arm and guide rail seemed to bend under the weight of the window.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
E36&8
2nd Gear Member

I have to keep pressing the button to get the window up, mine keeps on stopping after every inch :S

BMW E36
E36&8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
someguy
Singhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36&8 View Post
I have to keep pressing the button to get the window up, mine keeps on stopping after every inch :S
yep, that's the anti-pinch sensor. It measures resistance force against the motor. When the window goes up tilted or the mechanism is binding (or your tints are causing friction against the weatherstrip) it thinks there is something in the way. Pressing and holding the button all the way down overrides the anti-pinch. It's also in the sunroof system as well IIRC.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Well I finally took my door apart this weekend and took a look at what was going on in there. It looked like my window fell out of place and was coming up funny. It had fallen off the track so I fixed that and lubed up the other track because it seemed like it wasn't sliding properly.

That didn't help the situation so I kept fiddling around with it and then finally realized that when everything is in place where it should be and the window begins to go up, once it hits the edge of the weatherstripping closest to the side mirror, the weatherstripping gets curled up with the window and forces it off the track and screws everything up. I was able to get the window up by forcing the weatherstripping down while slowly putting the window up. I have no idea how the hell to fix this now though other than get the weatherstripping redone which would be a bitch and a half. Anyone have any idea's?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
VSanj
6th Gear Member

i have this same problem on the drivers side...........got used to it now!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'm pretty lucky, my window problem went away when it got warm.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #22
sproule905
6th Gear Member

like i said earlier when my passenger window was broken into.. it was tinted before and had no issues. now that a replacement window was installed (by me), everything was lubed up, new plastic sliders, the passenger window goes up with ease.

Onto my drivers side, which has tint, its always been that issue for me with the need to hold the up button to override the window from tracking up! i bet if I lube the plastic sliders, rails and silicone the weather stripping it may track up. But then again the drivers window is obviously used more regularly than my passenger window and motor life could be weakened.

i'm going to get some silicone this weekend and try that. I really don't feel like ripping off the whole door card as like someone mentioned above, they've dealt with the issue of holding up the window in UP.

todoy however, it got colder than usual in the last few days and i noticed that the weather stripping is putting a little bit of force causing the window to make a screeching sound.

i'll report back, but with a shorter message ha ha

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #23
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

how did you guys take off the door panel? All of my windows stopped working and neither of the switches work.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #24
rallybob
1st Gear Newbie

window slow

Hi.
My driver window does this also. Mostly in the winter time.
Most common cause is the nylon runners in the window guides. Plan to replace mine when I need to open door. This is the most common cause.

Ask any BMW parts person.

Bob
rallybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #25
sproule905
6th Gear Member

Euro_7 - youtube how to remove door panel! there are a ton of vids and they help a lot.. especially when some plastic tabs break if not properly removed.

good luck

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #26
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

Thanks sproule, hopefully I will get to it this coming week.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #27
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

my pass windows wierd too, when i go over bumps and its in the up position, the window starts jumping up and down as if the door is being opened and closed. but constantly! soo annoying!!!

Jay
Old 03-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
someguy
Singhy

the door sensor might be malfunctioning or loose.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #29
1minte46
2nd Gear Member

yeh i have the same problem with my drivers and passenger window, but other then that I had to take off the door panel on my rear passenger door, and when i took it apart I looked at the regulator and the cable seemed to be really weak, and now it doesn't work at all I have my window regulator locked at this point so that the window doesnt fall down,at this point in time i rear passenger side window doesn't work, so it could be the window regulators at the front as well, but if any of these alternatives work such as putting grease on them it would save alot of hassle and a lot of money
1minte46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #30
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

I forgot about this thread. Just to update on my problem, I took off the panel again a little while ago and found that the window was off the interior track for within the door. So when you put the window down, it should slide down these two tracks on either side of the door and go in nicely. Somehow my window had fallen out of this track so I had to jam my hands in the small openings on the panel closer to the front of the door and fiddle with it until I could get the window in the track again. I shredded up my right hand getting in on the track but finally got it on and it worked like new.

Sadly, after putting the window down all the way a few times over the next week or so, the window seems to have popped out of this track again and when I put it up, its eating up the weatherstripping on the sides of the window because it is going up improperly. I'm still trying to brainstorm to think of a way to make the window stay in this track within the door, but don't know because I'm not sure what forcing it out of the track to begin with. lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: