Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Ontario
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

The more you give, they more they take... simple as that...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
^ No wonder why Toronto turned out to be Poor poorer and rich richer.

When they have those fruit juices on sale for 99c and they are 2.99 regular, You just see an empty shelf. Americans and Canadians should be ashamed of themselves about the gap between poor and rich.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
arek
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout95 View Post
why not do the honest thing and pay on the full amount like i did and other honest people do, pay your taxes.
honesty gets you nowhere!

OR,

gets you only so far

Last edited by arek; 01-24-2010 at 06:49 PM.
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
^ No wonder why Toronto turned out to be Poor poorer and rich richer.

When they have those fruit juices on sale for 99c and they are 2.99 regular, You just see an empty shelf. Americans and Canadians should be ashamed of themselves about the gap between poor and rich.
Are you kidding me? Have you ever been to a single Eastern European country? Compared to those countries to north america is equal. There's a tiny difference between rich and poor in north america.

And arek is right, there's no use in being honest if your whole world is run by dishonesty. Greed is human nature, nothing we can do about it. Put anyone in a position of power and they will more than likely eventually abuse that power.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
And arek is right, there's no use in being honest if your whole world is run by dishonesty.
Your right, the next time you get screwed over, smashed in the face, victimized by theft etc etc etc if the guy throws this line at ya afterward its all good

The funny thing is watching people who oppose laws suddenly desire them when theyre the victim.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #21
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Your right, the next time you get screwed over, smashed in the face, victimized by theft etc etc etc if the guy throws this line at ya afterward its all good

The funny thing is watching people who oppose laws suddenly desire them when theyre the victim.
I've been screwed over before, and I just lived with it if I knew I would've probably done the same thing.

But we're not talking about that right now, the only victim of this "crime" is the government, and as long as the general population follows the rules a tiny percentage could exploit this without affecting anything. Which is exactly what's happening right now.

And don't say what would hypothetically happen if everyone did this, they won't so it's pointless to even mention that.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #22
E36&8
2nd Gear Member

when I purchased my e36 I only paid $37 in taxes; because the vehicle had no value due to its year. But I do also remember paying about $500 for one of my E38's since it had a value.

BMW E36
E36&8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #23
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
I've been screwed over before, and I just lived with it if I knew I would've probably done the same thing.

But we're not talking about that right now, the only victim of this "crime" is the government, and as long as the general population follows the rules a tiny percentage could exploit this without affecting anything. Which is exactly what's happening right now.

And don't say what would hypothetically happen if everyone did this, they won't so it's pointless to even mention that.
This is both a terrible and naive mentality you have, it costs ME and everyone else when you dont pay your taxes. And the fact you could get away with it or only a small percentage do it is not an excuse to do it yourself. You sound very young and hopefully not in business because youd screw me on what you could, right?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #24
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Those who would declare less on the sale would probably declare less at the border and take the risk of getting caught and blacklisted. Not good if you're in a profession where you need to be bondable and ethical.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 AM   #25
arek
3rd Gear Member

It's okay blackedout, For all the missed opportunities the government had, they will get it back with the new HST.

So, please do sleep well at night.. don't worry about it too much. Worry more about paying your bills/retail items which are inflating, and your property taxes. Don't judge 'moneymaker' because he wants to save himself the 230-240 whatever dollars.

Also, don't forget the latest tax grab! haha.. Your weekend beverages!!!!!!! since they want to prevent you from drinking.. right?? isn't that their excuse?

Still scratching my head why hear they promoting alcohol with those funny commercials on the radio!! if that was the case. Doesn't the government own LCBO.. or am i mistakenly wrong. ! (usually am!)

Cheers

Last edited by arek; 01-25-2010 at 12:43 AM.
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
Mad Cow
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
This is both a terrible and naive mentality you have, it costs ME and everyone else when you dont pay your taxes. And the fact you could get away with it or only a small percentage do it is not an excuse to do it yourself. You sound very young and hopefully not in business because youd screw me on what you could, right?
Yes it does cost you, but the important thing to remember is the amount it costs you. Again I speak about how this works in reality, will you ever notice how much your taxes increase from a select few paying less on vehicle taxes? No, because vehicle registration taxes on used cars barely make any money for the government compared to other taxes. If nobody is harmed, why not do it?

And yes there is a risk of getting caught, but I've talked to so many people that do these things nearly every day and never get caught. The government can't catch everyone, and they don't care enough to even try unless you put some ridiculously small amount down for the price you paid.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

It's not even a question of "if you can get away with it, do it" - it's more a question of is it fair?

It's NOT fair to pay taxes AGAIN on something that's already had taxes paid on it. Plain and simple. I don't care if it's law, it's NOT fair. So if I can pay a little less, I think that's the only way to do it.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #28
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
but lets keep things in perspective. we're talking about taxes on used cars from a private sale. if the value of a car is $1000, and someone sells it for $500, you still pay tax on the $1000. If you buy the car for $2000, you pay the taxes on $2000.

i don't see how it costs the government money regardless because the price negotiated is at the discretion of seller. the government estimates that the buying price will be around its value. therefore paying the taxes on the exact value the car is worth is exactly what the government planned to get for that car. everything else is icing on the cake.

and lets not go into examples about criminal laws and keep things to just this scenario.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

^^^ Also well put...
Old 01-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #30
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

fyi, you only pay GST on a used car... no PST

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread