Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
edp82
3rd Gear Member

has anyone repaired door panel bubbling insert card?

Well.. I've put the car away for storage this winter and yesterday noticed a few things i would like to take care of...

i immediately jumped right into attempting to fix the insert door card bubbling issue...

i seperated the leather/vinyl from the card and its shrunk quite a bit... i was planning on doing it over in black ultra suede.

i'll do a write up on this as long as it goes well.... im just curious though.. i've been reading and it sounds like the 3M 90 spray i bought in a can isnt the suggested approach to having the seude stick to the fiberboard.

has anyone attempted this fix? and if so what was your experience... any tips would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
I had the same problem with mine and honestly I found it easyer to just buy new panels. I got two new front ones for $150. If you want to take it somewhere I know someone really good that could recover it for you in whatever you want let me know.
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
edp82
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Girl View Post
I had the same problem with mine and honestly I found it easyer to just buy new panels. I got two new front ones for $150. If you want to take it somewhere I know someone really good that could recover it for you in whatever you want let me know.
ya i've heard its a daunting task... im up for the challenge though... just found a deal on some ultra black suede on sale at a local fabric shop... they want 30 dollars for a peice 55inchs by 33inchs.. i'm sure that will be plenty.

ive got all winter to mess around with it... just need to know if there is an adhesive that works better than others.

if this works well i might do the headliner too...
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

I had my headliner done by a proffesional it was a bitch cause the old glue was so hard to get rid of. Good luck but to me it was way worth it to pay someone.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
edp82
3rd Gear Member

i just picked up the ultra suede material... went with a dark charcoal... the black looked almost purple in the light....

i've got way too much... if anyone is interested in doing the same i've got extra material... just bring me a 6 pack of MGD and i'll give you enough product to do yours too.

will post pics tonight
Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
edp82
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Girl View Post
yea im going to stay away from the headliner... its not a big deal as mine is still in good shape... i wonder if it would be easier to just spray paint over top the grey headliner, rather than apply new material...hmmmmmm
Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Not with this specific application, but I've had good results with contact cement - you can get it in a spray can too.

good luck.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edp82 View Post
yea im going to stay away from the headliner... its not a big deal as mine is still in good shape... i wonder if it would be easier to just spray paint over top the grey headliner, rather than apply new material...hmmmmmm
Honestly it will probably cost you about $400 to do the roof and all pillars and the rear deck lid in black sued.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Why do these headliners on E36 need so much attention? On E30s they look okay and those are much older. Also when you grab E36 door handle, it seems not solid as it is on E30...
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
edp82
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
Why do these headliners on E36 need so much attention? On E30s they look okay and those are much older. Also when you grab E36 door handle, it seems not solid as it is on E30...
the headliners don't necessarily need "so much attention" my issue is simply a matter of esthetics... its grey... while the rest of the interior is black...

i've not had the pleasure of comparing a 36 to 30 but no issues with door handles.... maybe just loose on some?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Correct, may feel lose due to wear and tear.
Ok, so it is pretty much the colour thing that you want.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

My issue was the glue was old and it was seperating and falling down. The E30 headliner is constructed different and you don't have the same problem. On the E36 there is a board that is the structure and the fabric is glued to it, the glue gets old and stops holding.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
edp82
3rd Gear Member

these videos were golden to help tighten up everything in the door panels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4ZE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEnV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GghftCXKaDA
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edp82 View Post
Well.. I've put the car away for storage this winter and yesterday noticed a few things i would like to take care of...

i immediately jumped right into attempting to fix the insert door card bubbling issue...

i seperated the leather/vinyl from the card and its shrunk quite a bit... i was planning on doing it over in black ultra suede.

i'll do a write up on this as long as it goes well.... im just curious though.. i've been reading and it sounds like the 3M 90 spray i bought in a can isnt the suggested approach to having the seude stick to the fiberboard.

has anyone attempted this fix? and if so what was your experience... any tips would be appreciated.
Hi, unless you are in a heated garage or it's summer I wouldn't attempt it. You need warm conditions as the material, when cold, shrinks and attempting to glue it back will be troublesome. Get a good heat gun, 70 degrees room temp to work in. and some really good industrial weather strip/contact cement glue. you don't want to do the job twice. Keep in mind there will be shrinkage once you go outside in cold weather so make it a bit larger the then area. If possible, and the backing is thick enough - staple the edges of the vinyl to the board as an added measure to prevent from peeling in case the glue lets go. But make sure your staples don't go through the backing. So check thickness of board and material and right depth of staple.
Some material has the added padding behind it to give it more cushion. I have used some spray adhesive and the vinyl material didn't like it. I think there was a chemical reaction between the glue and the petroleum based vinyl and the glue didn't cure. just giving my experience. :-)

good luck!

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!

Last edited by Ceeker; 01-20-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
edp82
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
Hi, unless you are in a heated garage or it's summer I wouldn't attempt it. You need warm conditions as the material, when cold, shrinks and attempting to glue it back will be troublesome. Get a good heat gun, 70 degrees room temp to work in. and some really good industrial weather strip/contact cement glue. you don't want to do the job twice. Keep in mind there will be shrinkage once you go outside in cold weather so make it a bit larger the then area. If possible, and the backing is thick enough - staple the edges of the vinyl to the board as an added measure to prevent from peeling in case the glue lets go. But make sure your staples don't go through the backing. So check thickness of board and material and right depth of staple.
Some material has the added padding behind it to give it more cushion. I have used some spray adhesive and the vinyl material didn't like it. I think there was a chemical reaction between the glue and the petroleum based vinyl and the glue didn't cure. just giving my experience. :-)

good luck!
thanks for the advice.... im in a heated garage... plus im not driving the car so i'll let it cure indoors over the winter.

i've got a heat gun... shouldnt be a problem... not using vinyl

should i sand down the fiberboard to remove old glue or is that not required?

eric

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: