Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Dead pixels

Sales person at the dealership where I got my 545 (used car dealership) said that in the states BMW NA still fixed dead pixels (you just pay for the labor). I have a few on my E39 540i, does anyone know if this is "doable" in Canada too or..?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Gamite

I heard that it only works in the US, BMW NA is different than BMW Canada.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
you might be able to find someone locally to repair dead pixels, I remember Justin_E36 repairs dead pixels in clusters.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Ok, thanks..I was just curious since I heard from many people about this issue. It's strange that only owners in the states get this fixed by BMW, well not strange but unfair
Old 03-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^you up for a cruise to the states? i'll gladly pay 100$ to get my cluster pixels to work (half the time 1/4 of the display is dim)
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^you up for a cruise to the states? i'll gladly pay 100$ to get my cluster pixels to work (half the time 1/4 of the display is dim)
I don't know if that would work, they probably do that for USA residents/cars registered in the states..? Then again I'm just guessing..
Old 03-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
e46it
5th Gear Member

i contacted BMWNA about this, and i have not heard back yet. another short end of the stick for the bmw owners in canada.
dont bother with the DIY contact cleaner solution, the issue comes back after week or two. try these guys
http://www.vdorepair.com/
http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/bmw_pixel_repairs.htm

2004 BMW 325i Touring SGM
2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000|1992 JDM Civic SiR RHD Black
2000 BMW M5 Avus Blue (GONE)
2002 BMW 325i Touring TVM (GONE)
1994 BMW 325i Saloon Black (GONE)
e46it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46iT View Post
i contacted BMWNA about this, and i have not heard back yet. another short end of the stick for the bmw owners in canada.
dont bother with the DIY contact cleaner solution, the issue comes back after week or two. try these guys
http://www.vdorepair.com/
http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/bmw_pixel_repairs.htm
About two years ago I contacted them and I got a reply saying they only do this in USA but sometimes they will do it for Canadian owners if the car is relatively new and under 100,000km

BS if you ask me, same cars are here and in USA and this is the same problem, but there they will fix it even if the car is 10 years old and with over 200,000km (know a huy who had it fixed, paid $75 for labor and that was it).

I just thought maybe something changed since I contacted them..
Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Fern
2nd Gear Member

I contacted BMWNA shortly after I got my used 99 540i with the pixel problem... My car had 109,000 km and was 3.5 years old.

They politely told me to contact BMW Canada who very politely told me it is expected that a vehicle which is out of warranty require maintenance and repairs who's costs for same should be borne by the owner.

I didn't want to bother arguing that maybe the U.S. vehicle owners expected their cars be built to a higher standard, which results in BMWNA agreeing to incur this cost vs having the owner incur.

I heard also that the reason BMWNA is doing this is because the new cluster is subsidized by the manufacturer as a result of improper assembly when they were originally made... that being said, since U.S. residence pay the labour... BMWNA has no out of pocket expense and comes out smelling like a rose.

'99 BMW 540i6 (black on black)
'99 Lexus Rx300
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
BMW325IS
2nd Gear Member

Why we can't get what we want in CANADA...no euro spec e36 m3s, no M3 csl, no GTR BNR 34...no pixel fix?????? Come on...
BMW325IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
vadim321go
6th Gear Member

pixel fix is pretty easy, i did it on my e36. its a lil time consuming cause u have to be gentle with everything but other then that its pretty easy. there are quite a few diy's on bimmerforums, they are quite detailed as well
Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW325IS View Post
Why we can't get what we want in CANADA...no euro spec e36 m3s, no M3 csl, no GTR BNR 34...no pixel fix?????? Come on...
There was 45 euro specs imported to canada in 94.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
Maxium
1st Gear Newbie

Cool Dead Pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster View Post
Sales person at the dealership where I got my 545 (used car dealership) said that in the states BMW NA still fixed dead pixels (you just pay for the labor). I have a few on my E39 540i, does anyone know if this is "doable" in Canada too or..?

Redstar

Please PM me and i will give you a guys number in Guelph German mechanic i deal with he uses someone in Kitchener and its $300.00 with warranty

Cheers
Maxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

when i had dead pixels on my obc in my e36 i looked up a diy on the net and fixed it myself. Actually wasn't that hard to do
Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Fixing E39 speedo pixels is a bit more complex then the E36. There is detailed DIY for the E39 speedo fix.

HAHA Quote form www.speedofix.com

"We are an established company based in Toronto, Canada in 2001. Specializing in digital odometers mileage correction and programming on all vehicle's instrument clusters (including bikes) and other related diagnostic and repair issues. We offer a fast mobile and reliable service through Great Toronto Area and by postal services. If the mileage reading on your odometer is not match your original we advice you to let us carry about it! SpeedoFix is offering a complete service to fix your odometer reading - adjust mileage to any value you believe is accurate and legit."

are you kidding me, they are advertising pulilng back odometers. Catch phrase - "adjust mileage to any value you believe is accurate and legit" ??????????? UMMMM

Last edited by Dado 540; 04-08-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Dado 540 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: