Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #61
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
You guys do know I was kidding right? My level of OCD is on par with the worst of them.
Judging from your car, yes, you do have some OCD. Wish I had time to be OCD with mine.

Pricing out parts for some of the necessary repairs (like the expansion tank). JÚsus Marimba! And the ABS sensors aren't cheap either. Best get things truly inspected so I can get the right parts, and not do blanket replacements.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #62
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Judging from your car, yes, you do have some OCD. Wish I had time to be OCD with mine.

Pricing out parts for some of the necessary repairs (like the expansion tank). JÚsus Marimba! And the ABS sensors aren't cheap either. Best get things truly inspected so I can get the right parts, and not do blanket replacements.
Most definitely do that. When I had my DSC lights come on the code showed a bad wheel sensor, but upon further testing it was in fact the actual DSC module.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #63
msinger
3rd Gear Member

you can just train yourself to be ocd, over time, your car will be toothbrush cleaned everytime you bring it back to your garage, just like jay's! zing!
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #64
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Beofre I had kids, you could eat off the valve covers of the car I owned...now you can eat an entire meal from the stuff in the backseat. *sigh*

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 AM   #65
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Beofre I had kids, you could eat off the valve covers of the car I owned...now you can eat an entire meal from the stuff in the backseat. *sigh*
that's a purity sweet happy meal toy
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #66
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuconnection View Post
that's a purity sweet happy meal toy
lol
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #67
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Most definitely do that. When I had my DSC lights come on the code showed a bad wheel sensor, but upon further testing it was in fact the actual DSC module.
I do not want to hear this.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #68
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Sorry Jeff, but I'm still really confused by this. You dislike the 5 series, and Audi's because you can't afford them, but then at the same time you would be willing to spend 5 times as much and lease a new car? That just doesn't make sense. I could understand if you were to do it because you didn't want the hassle of having to work on the car, but the monetary reasons just don't add up. How much did it cost you to run your 5er? was it more than a lease?

and just for curiosity sake, does that mean you dislike any car that is high maintenance?
Ahh your putting a $$$ tag on things were I am putting time & $$$ + aggrevation in everyday life tags on things.
For starters I can afford a new 5ver or an Audi. Bang for you buck is not really what I was debating.

Just like any car worth 60G's+ regardless of make will be a nice car new. However once paid for and warrenty is no more it quicky turns into what I call a throw away car.
What was once worth 60g's 10 years later is lucky to be worth 10g's (and it depreciated this bad for a reason). It still is as it was a great car but now it is constantly fustrating you as when ever you think it is like new again it will fu*k you in the ass shortly and you learn to expect it as your always knowing that cell or abs or what ever light is about to start flashing again any month now.
I'll give you an example of aggrevation that goes with the lovly GF aspect thrown in the mix.
She doesn't know what that Cel means that just started flashing 2 hours into a 10 hour road trip, even though 1 month before you blew 500 bucks fixing what threw the last Cel on a set of sensors that were not really needed specificaly to calm here as she wanted to take a peice of sh*t Saturn instead since it never throws a Cel, then the rage begins to build as it sits their humming along all perfect but still flashing the damn Cel again.... You think to yourself, I have to look at that flashing Cel for another 8 hours?... Then the mind wanders some more, will it leave us stranded somewere? What could possibly be the problem now... I shouldn't pull over and read the code now as she'll definatly be worried then, but she keeps asking about it....

Hope that gives you an idea as to why my mind would rather lease a 60G car and toss it away after hopefuly before it gets to that point for another newer and better model then stay with the old that leaves me & companions in constant doubt and aggrevation.

After all... You can always make more MONEY, you never get the TIME wasted in aggrevation back again.

And yes I do hate high maintenance cars. I like the old turn key pound the piss out of it and forget about it kind of car.
Besides with a heated gerage I'm too busy fixing everybody ealses car to be bothered with having to fix my own.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 01-25-2010 at 07:02 PM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #69
chromius
6th Gear Member

Still don't get it, but I guess we just have different views on it. I look at it at a bang for buck view. I can go out and get a $70,000 car for less than 15K, and all I need to do is a little maintenance and put in some wrench time, which is what I enjoy doing anyway.

Put it this way, For the same money I could lease or buy a very reliable, very boring 4cyl toyota corolla with 130hp, with base options, cloth seats, manual windows etc. OR get a used 540 with a 292 horse V8, fully loaded, 13 way power adjustable leather seats, premium stereo, OBC, heated seats, heated steering wheel, DSC, 6 speed manual, three zone auto climate control, fun, fast, amazing handling, with options too long to list. Personally, I'd pick the bimmer every time.

It gets frustrating sometimes when shit breaks, but in the long run, you get more for your money. Plus since it's not a lease or under warranty, you can modify anything you please. And If you get sick of things breaking, then so be it, you can move on to any other car whenever you please. It's a win, win situation. The only way I would see myself leasing would be as a secondary vehicle.

To each his own though.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #70
ecuconnection
6th Gear Member

Quote:
OR get a used 540 with a 292 horse V8, fully loaded, 13 way .
I might add tuner buddy in uk is pushing another 35 hp out of these motors as a standard tune with high km's and they won't let you down (verified on mustang dyno) don't make me bring my flash tool over there adam lol. Also the back seating on the 540 is straight up ballin and I want to move in
ecuconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 AM   #71
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Quote:
The only way I would see myself leasing would be as a secondary vehicle.
Yep! Even though I'm the cheapest ****er alive, I still got sick of wrenching brakes in February. Lease to daily drive and wrench for the fun car.

For sure it was cheaper running older used cars. The E39 is exceptional that way. In 2000, there was no $15000 300hp bmw to be had. I bought my e39 used for a buttload of money and it depreciated as fast as I could pay it off.

Now, you can get 300hp acuras, bmw, lexus, audi. You still need to get lucky and get a good car. For instance, my bosses old Allroad cost about $18000 in repairs in one year. That's stupid. The dealership auctioned it (a 2002) for $6500 but I wouldn't touch it with a 20' pole.

Since I barely drive, I lease because I can get much more car for much less $ than buying, and because I can get away with low km leases, I pay less over 10 years than owning over ten years.

That allows me to save the wrenching for the summer car and the bikes.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #72
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I might add tuner buddy in uk is pushing another 35 hp out of these motors as a standard tune with high km's and they won't let you down (verified on mustang dyno) don't make me bring my flash tool over there adam lol. Also the back seating on the 540 is straight up ballin and I want to move in
Don't tempt me. an extra 35hp would be nice

Last edited by chromius; 01-26-2010 at 09:26 AM.
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #73
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Yep! Even though I'm the cheapest ****er alive, I still got sick of wrenching brakes in February. Lease to daily drive and wrench for the fun car.

For sure it was cheaper running older used cars. The E39 is exceptional that way. In 2000, there was no $15000 300hp bmw to be had. I bought my e39 used for a buttload of money and it depreciated as fast as I could pay it off.

Now, you can get 300hp acuras, bmw, lexus, audi. You still need to get lucky and get a good car. For instance, my bosses old Allroad cost about $18000 in repairs in one year. That's stupid. The dealership auctioned it (a 2002) for $6500 but I wouldn't touch it with a 20' pole.

Since I barely drive, I lease because I can get much more car for much less $ than buying, and because I can get away with low km leases, I pay less over 10 years than owning over ten years.

That allows me to save the wrenching for the summer car and the bikes.
$18000 a year in repairs Damn. Well if that were the case, I certainly would dump the car. Luckily I'm not even remotely close to that. So far the cost per KM is almost equivalent to the e30. The difference is that the e39 comes in big chunks of fewer expensive repairs, and the e30 is just a slow trickle.

Your setup is definitely ideal, you get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, for me, I need a dual purpose, Fun + Daily driver, mainly because of space limitations, and I don't think I would be able to stay under the KM allocation in a lease.

Basically what it comes down to, is that, regardless of lease vs buy vs used etc. I need a bigger garage
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #74
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Quote:
How do you like your pillows? Can I supply a blanket?

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #75
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Basically what it comes down to, is that, regardless of lease vs buy vs used etc. I need a bigger garage
[southern preacher voice] CAN I GET AN AMEEEEN! [/southern preacher voice]

My girlfriend has actually suggested that I get a reliable winter vehicle, and then shop around for a fun summer car. While I love the idea, I think that I need a year-round dependable car that's still fun. That and I would need space for storage.

I took out an Altima this weekend. Low miles, six speed, V6, and meh. The cover for the cupholders was already broken (although it actually had worthwhile cupholders, something E39ers would definitely appreciate). But it fely like it was made of tin. My E39 feels more solid now after 13 years and 200+K of driving. At any rate, that's one removed from the list of possibles.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: