Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Baaahaha
Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
blk3
4th Gear Member

man that was hilarious lol i just about shit myself hahaha
blk3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
msinger
3rd Gear Member

i didnt watch it, but all reasons why people need to be in the e30 game!
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
everlast

Of course, one *could* insert jokes here about your e30s. But I won't.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #20
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinger View Post
i didnt watch it, but all reasons why people need to be in the e30 game!
Was in the e30 game for 7+ years...and unfortunately there are plenty of downsides to the e30 too. While people like to joke about the e39 cooling systems, and 'typical' issues that they have, and the high cost of ownership (which are true), there are just so many good things about them. Hence why a lot of the guys complaining, are still driving the e39's regardless of their problems. Every time something goes wrong with the 540, I consider another car, but then when it's working right, it's just so much fun, and perfect in soooo many ways. Fast, comfortable, handles great, looks great, roomy, and IMO one of the best highway cruisers out there.

The ideal solution is one of each.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #21
everlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
the ideal solution is one of each.
qft
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #22
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
While people like to joke about the e39 cooling systems, and 'typical' issues that they have, and the high cost of ownership (which are true), there are just so many good things about them. Hence why a lot of the guys complaining, are still driving the e39's regardless of their problems. Every time something goes wrong with the 540, I consider another car, but then when it's working right, it's just so much fun, and perfect in soooo many ways. Fast, comfortable, handles great, looks great, roomy, and IMO one of the best highway cruisers out there.
Amen. The problem is that there ALWAYS seems to be something wrong. I am sort of shopping for another car. I don't need the stress of a dysfunctional relationship in my life. But it's tough finding something that doesn't feel like a complete downgrade......
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Amen. But it's tough finding something that doesn't feel like a complete downgrade......
QFT.

I looked at so many cars before buying my E39. I looked at everything, Audi A4's, A6's, S6, Legacy GT's, E46's. There's more but I just can't remember anymore. I even considered buying a new Malibu at one point just to tear myelf away from the Giant German headache but that's just trading one minor headache for one giant migraine. So yeah....

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

I might try for a warranty this time. I hate to say it, but I liked the new Mazda3 when I drove one, but I hate the idea of a new car on the basis of depreciation. That said, I really think that I need to get something that's going to be more reliable to help with my general well-being. I want to spend Saturday morning washing my car, not swearing at Bosch and/or Siemens. Or Victor Reinz.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #25
everlast

E90 ftw. Nothing like the E39 torque, but I love my E90 more and more. I don't even pay for maintenance let alone repairs. I leased it, and will likely lease again. After 10 years of leasing I will be no further back $-wise from buying a new car and running it for 10 years, but I will have a new car every 3.3 years.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #26
msinger
3rd Gear Member

some of us like to lose our money slowly through e30 repairs, it feels better than getting rid of it all at once on something new.
msinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #27
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
E90 ftw. Nothing like the E39 torque, but I love my E90 more and more. I don't even pay for maintenance let alone repairs. I leased it, and will likely lease again. After 10 years of leasing I will be no further back $-wise from buying a new car and running it for 10 years, but I will have a new car every 3.3 years.

Yup, let alone repair killer bills , and getting lowballed when selling it / time wasted.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #28
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Keep in mind though, that if you bought, you'd have an asset at the end of the ten years. One that you could pawn off on some poor sucker like me

I tried an E90, and liked it, don't get me wrong, but not without a warranty. CPO would be an option. But I have ergonomic issues with the E90 (wiper stalk in direct line with the turn signal, so that when I want to turn right, the wipers come on, and WTF is up with no dipstick?), as well as reliability concerns (oil drainback into the head, leading to a bleeding procedure, or possibly head replacement). That said, the handling is dreamy, and I like how it looks.

E46 is a possible, with some repairs/mods up front to help with reliability/known issues.

I think that I need to get out an start looking/driving, and turn things over in my head less. Whatever it is ends up being, I like my cars interesting, so perhaps I am doomed to some being a little too interesting from time to time.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #29
carjoe
6th Gear Member

E90's are dreamy but only with sport packs.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #30
everlast

While the scenario for BMW is a bit more favorable due to higher value when old (compared to say, a Chevy) the TCO is higher too. The "10 Lease" calculation already factors in the value of an asset at the end. After maintenance, the $ sunk into a 10 year old car, including its original cost, minus its value after 10 years, tends to equal the amount of money laid out in 3, 40 month leases. Its not a coincidence, its typically how the market dictates the value of vehicles. For a vehicle with high depreciation and low lease rate, ownership is downright stupid. (Which on the surface seems odd since you pay for most of the depreciation at the beginning, but it works.)

Then consider this: you get rear ended, hard, or sideswiped. You now own a vehicle that has considerable repairs and is worth substantially less. Or, you get a lemon or a car that in 6 years, after working great, has the cooling system take a shit. Once the used market figures this out, the value drops considerably and you're behind the curve compared to a lease. So, the risk factor is removed when leasing. It also provides predictable payments.

However, its not for everyone.. because if you do 40K kms a year, your lease rate would be outrageous.

My E90 has the sport pack. I took it (a 323i) over a 328i hands-down due to the handling. Night and day difference!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: