Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
thung_mail
1st Gear Newbie

Post question about manual and automatic

Hi all
Between manual and automatic car, which one do you prefer and why you choose it. I only know that the manual car is cheaper and it is not easy to re-sale it. For other reasons.... I am blind. Any comments are welcome here.
Tuan
thung_mail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thung_mail View Post
Hi all
Between manual and automatic car, which one do you prefer and why you choose it. I only know that the manual car is cheaper and it is not easy to re-sale it. For other reasons.... I am blind. Any comments are welcome here.
Tuan
automatic as a daily driver.. manual as a weekend/track car. who says its not easy to resel?? a rusted manual e30 will sell faster then and auto e30 with a fairly clean body
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Steve30
Techno Viking

I choose manual because its more fun than just pushing a gas and break pedal! As for resale, it depends on the car and target of buyers, an automatic sports car would be less desired than a manual, making it harder to sell. Also, BMW automatic transmissions aren't the greatest... none of them really are because they start to kick into gears once the car has a fair amount of km's.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

with todays worry about gas, you can always pawn off a manual on the premise of better mileage. not to mention the added control you have in winter on top of tractoin assits.
i prefer manual all around, it really depends on the person and what theyre driving the car for and the level of involvement they want in the driving experience
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
pawcio
6th Gear Member

i'd also say manual and mostly for the fun of driving. i'd be hard pressed to buy an automatic anything but i guess if you were a person who spends most of their time in traffic on the drive to work an automatic may be better. so basically it depends on personal preference and what the vehicle will be used for.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Italia311
1st Gear Newbie

I guess it comes down to personal preference and how you feel about driving. I had a manual car and it was fun, sometimes a pain in the ass for example: I hated driving in traffic jams but thats just me. Now I am in into a 4 door, and I just wanna chill and drive.

Either way its a BMW...wanted something diff so switched to auto.

Alright....I sort of miss driving stick...
Italia311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
dbworld4k
Addict

Having driven a 335 in both manual and auto, and even the E46 330 in manual and auto - there is NO contest between the two. I'm a 3 pedal guy all the way. It's just so much more involving, the whole driving experience feels much, much, much more exciting in the manual equipped car. You *feel* so much more of what's happening with the car especially during spiritied driving. The auto isn't bad in the new 3 series, it's a big step up form the E46 but I still prefer the manual.

To those who say commuting is a pain with a manual, that's BS. I've done plenty of long, bumper to bumper trips in my E36 and E46 (both manual), and I PREFER the manual in traffic. I find it's so much easier and convenient to leave it in 1st and let out the clutch slowly to inch the car up, instead of constantly riding the brakes like in an auto car. Get too close? push in the clutch and let her coast to a stop. I actually hate driving an automatic now - traffic or no traffic.

Re-sale wise, you will definitely be better off with the automatic. But, are you buying your car for yourself or the next guy?

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
darin911
1st Gear Newbie

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3...ual_126502.htm
darin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

Manual or Automatic is strictly personal preference.

For me, I would never buy a car in Automatic because I don't enjoy driving them, but for some people (like my mom LOL), it's a hassle to drive a manual because they don't enjoy the added involvement and want a car this is turn-key-and-go.

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Having driven a 335 in both manual and auto, and even the E46 330 in manual and auto - there is NO contest between the two. I'm a 3 pedal guy all the way. It's just so much more involving, the whole driving experience feels much, much, much more exciting in the manual equipped car. You *feel* so much more of what's happening with the car especially during spiritied driving. The auto isn't bad in the new 3 series, it's a big step up form the E46 but I still prefer the manual.

To those who say commuting is a pain with a manual, that's BS. I've done plenty of long, bumper to bumper trips in my E36 and E46 (both manual), and I PREFER the manual in traffic. I find it's so much easier and convenient to leave it in 1st and let out the clutch slowly to inch the car up, instead of constantly riding the brakes like in an auto car. Get too close? push in the clutch and let her coast to a stop. I actually hate driving an automatic now - traffic or no traffic.

Re-sale wise, you will definitely be better off with the automatic. But, are you buying your car for yourself or the next guy?
I couldn't agree more. I really hate bumper to bumper traffic in an auto, cuz you have to stay on the brake at all times, or **** with the shifter which the tranny wouldn't like for long...

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
darin911
1st Gear Newbie

BMW's numbers...

335i manual - 5.5sec 0-60mph... See More
335i automatic - 5.3sec 0-60mph

Curb Weight:
335i Coupe - 3579lb
335i Sedan - 3594lb
darin911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
thung_mail
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks all for your advices. I appreciate all.
Tuan
thung_mail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: