Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
DAM
Trinational 951

Another speeding ticket thread...

But this one is a bit different due to my own stupidity.

Pulled over in a 70 on Trafalgar Road. Thought I was doing about 85, but the officer told me I was doing 90. So what's the first thing that comes out of my mouth?

"Oh, I'm sorry officer, I thought I was doing closer to 85"

Stupid.

He knocked the ticket down to 85 in a 70 (which carries no demerit points) and tells me that if I try to fight it that it can be pushed back up to 20 over (which will cost me 3 points).

So, my questions are:
1. Does what I said constitute an admission of guilt?
2. Should I fight it?

Thanks

Last edited by DAM; 01-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.
DAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
1. yes
2. No, because of above.

Dont feel bad. Cops are trained to do exactly that.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
DAM
Trinational 951

yeah, saying that was worse than speeding itself

first ticket too
Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Where did you get caught on trafalger? need to know where to watch out
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
sirex
King Sirex

see, and you guys laugh at BMWbros posts lol :p
Old 01-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
DAM
Trinational 951

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
see, and you guys laugh at BMWbros posts lol :p
Just know that people on max know their shit when it comes to this
Old 01-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
DAM
Trinational 951

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
Where did you get caught on trafalger? need to know where to watch out
In Georgetown between Maple Ave and where Trafalgar and 7 merge. It wasn't a speed trap, he was coming from the other direction
Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
aaron320i
Banned

Send a message via MSN to aaron320i
You guys drive by my uncles shop everyday then, Remtech Automotive, Trafalgar and 10th across from T&T. Stop by for an oil change, $90 synthetic.
aaron320i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

What I have been told in the past is to always ask the cop if you can see the radar gun when they say they catch you at a certain speed. If they can't produce a gun you can take them to court for not seeing confirmation. I've never actually tried this myself since I've never gotten caught speeding . But I don't see why it couldnt work. If anyone can confirm or deny this it would probably be very useful for the future.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:33 AM   #10
abc12
4th Gear Member

out of curiosity, what do u guys think is the proper etiquette when being pulled over, it can go both ways either admitting guilt or innocence. For this case, when speeding, should he have told the cop he was driving @ a rate close to 85 clicks an hour, or just play innocent saying he didn't know he was speeding. Since the cop probably noted down that conversation part.

I know there's sometime a slim chance you'll find a cop that'll let you off with a warning, but i'd assume that rarely happens. Good Cop, Bad Cop....

I've had a ticket where he noted down that I admitted to speeding.

i know this is going to be a broad topic to discuss, but seeing what you guys have experienced before in this situation?
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron320i View Post
You guys drive by my uncles shop everyday then, Remtech Automotive, Trafalgar and 10th across from T&T. Stop by for an oil change, $90 synthetic.
i pass by there often i know exactly where that is.
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
marek
5th Gear Member

NEVER ever admit that you were speeding. If the cop asks say you were going the speed limit. There are multiple ways to fight a ticket due to the many technicalities that can arise, but if you admit you were speeding even by 1km/h then you eliminate a lot of them.

Cop does not have to show you the radar gun and it's not just because they are trying to be hard asses. Most of the time it's due to safety/liability reasons, as you are on the side of the road or highway and if you step out of your car your safety is compromised.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #13
tg07lq
4th Gear Member

usually ive stuck to the idea that trying to play the law against a cop just pisses them off, not saying i roll over on anything said to me, but if it makes life easier and i was doing something wrong i do usually remain polite and try not to piss them off lol. i know a few cops, and theres alot they can do.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
daytona
6th Gear Member

I know one cop been on the force for 30 years,mostly traffic and he said of all those years he only gave one person a warning,the rest got tickets even other officers and TTC drivers.This guy is %100 old school cop,not political correct and would beat the crap out of you if had a chance to get away with it...LOL.......nice guy though just hard ass....his favorite hiding space...Caladonia and eglington during rush hour in the taxi/bus lanes..he can fill his quotas (45) in three hours there and take a rest after that.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
sirex
King Sirex

do u just say "no sir I have no clue" but if you have no clue then whatever he says is you would have to agree too since then he could say he knew.

If you say you were doing the speed limit, then you are lieing.

The best thing I would guess is to say that you Think you were doing the speed limit and leave it at that. Then if he says you were going faster then that, with no proof - e.g. no radar- then its his word against yours.

but if hes got the radar trap, then youre pretty much screwed. but our system is so fcuked up that if you play stupid, and take it to court and pretend u didn't know, didn't see the sign, blah, blah, blah, theyll let you off or reduce the tcket.

whereas if you go in and be the righteous man and know you were in the wrong and admit you were guilty and ask nicely for a reduction youre more likely not to get it.

Ignorance is bliss.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: