Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
beeEM
1st Gear Newbie

Please Help - 1998 E36 328i Sway Bar Link Support

Hello all, I just had a 1998 328i inspected by a BMW mechanic as I may be interested in purchasing the vehicle. The car is 2nd owner, 138K, no accident, no rust, auto, leather, 4 all season, very very clean. Asking price $6500.

However, upon the completed inspection the mechanic noticed that the Right Front Sway Bar Link Support was torn away from the frame, indicating some body work was necessary. Further, the mechanic pointed out that the Radiator had just started to leak, and 2 (Right Front, Left Front) Triangle parts were missing. Im not sure what he was refering to when he noted the "Triangle" parts. I remember him mentioning the triangle parts were required for the intake of air or something. Im sort of a noob when it comes to repairs so thats why im not exactly sure what part he was referring to.

Im really interested in knowing how much a new sway bar link support (including labour) would cost me. In addition to a new Radiator and new "RF and LF Triangles". Any help, prices, and any shop recommendations are very much appreciated. I asked the mechanic, but he was very hesitant to give me price quotes for some reason.

Also, what do you guys think of the price overall?

Again, any help is very much appreciated.

Thank You.
beeEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
simplycars
6th Gear Member

For $6500 you can find newer e46 sedan.
I would recommend investing money into a newer car rather than older e36.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Petinko
2nd Gear Member

dont bother! I'll sell you mine for a hell of alot less and its only got 150K...
Petinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
MANDD
Autobahn East

I assume they are refering to the sway bar bushing frame support. If so it is available has a spare part. The old one must be drilled out (spot welds) and the new one fitted (weld).

Ensure this repair is done correctly (removal, cleaning, install, rust and paint protection) otherwise you may end up replacing it again.

Right Sway bar bracket 41 11 8 151 122 should be under $40.00 for the part.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
beeEM
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I think ill invest in a nice e46 instead.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeEM View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think ill invest in a nice e46 instead.
All depends if you want something really comfortable or something that has a very sporty feel to it.

I find the E46 too "soft" of a car.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
beeEM
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
All depends if you want something really comfortable or something that has a very sporty feel to it.

I find the E46 too "soft" of a car.
I like both the E36 and E46, and I'd be happy with either or. Im just trying to figure out if its worth it getting this 328i on the road, taking the price of the vehicle and repairs into consideration. If not, then I'll just look around for a newer E46.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Petinko
2nd Gear Member

BeeEm the fact is... E36 is going the way of the e30. they are becoming toys rather than used cars... the best are saved and garaged (like one of mine) the worst are parts and junk. If you want to own a BMW for a daily, get the e46. If you want the best handling sedan (probably) of all time... get the e36.
Petinko is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: