Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
jamison67
E30 POWER

Removing oil pan

hi guys im turbocharging my e30,,,i need to remove the oil pan to put in the oil return line,,,,i have yet to try to remove it but have heard horrible things about doing so that its difficult to get it out around the oil pump,,,,,now thats what ive heard havent tryed yet but thought i would ask to see if anybody has done it yet and what there easiest route was

thanks guys
jamison67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Not too bad, you have to lift the engine off the mounts...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
W2WDETAILING
Banned

i have done it ill find the awesome step by step guide for you and post it it took me the good part of a day on the hoist at my old school. your going to have to jack the engine a few inches.( i broke a engine mount due to it being siezed.

(looking for the thread over on e30tech)
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
---Drain the oil obviously before doing this, or it will be VERY messy

---First remove the fly cover that connects to the transmission at the very back part of the oil pan. Mine is held by torx head bolts...

---Next...Take out both steering rack bolts, that hold it to the subframe, but don't move it yet.

---Next, remove all of the oil pan bolts. Mine are all 10mm. Then you will probably have to hit it with a mallet to get it to un-seal...but it may just drop down.

---Next...this is very important.....you have to get a flashlight, and look between the gap that the oil pan has made. There is an oil pump connected to the bottom of the block, with 3 13mm bolts i believe. There is also an imput shaft that drives the pump, but you don't really have to worry about that..it will come out with the pump.

---After you get the pump loose....just let it drop into the oil pan.....as you won't be able to remove it through the gap.

---Now with the pan loose, and moved toward the front of the car...you can slide the rack off it's perch, and let it drop below it's perch. This gives you enough room to remove the pan easily.

---Now with the oil pump clear, and steering rack clear... you should be able to wiggle the pan out of position, and completely free, without much of a strugge. The dipstick tube may get in the way if you hadn't removed that already, so be aware that it may snag the pan.

Just no point in finding an engine hoist...when most people dont have one anyways...and it's faster to do it this way. lowing the steering rack takes 2 minutes....and that's the only step i added.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1727

i cant find the thread i used that had detailed pics.. sorry
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Not too bad, you have to lift the engine off the mounts...
this is the way i did it but as stated on e30tech you can also drop the rack.. if you can jack the engine do it that way, if not drop the rack.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2WDETAILING View Post
this is the way i did it but as stated on e30tech you can also drop the rack.. if you can jack the engine do it that way, if not drop the rack.
Yes...the problem with that is in most cases the rack is stuck at the steering shaft. They can be a PITA to separate...I cant remember if you have to do it on E30's, since on E36 you can just swing it out of the way.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
dannyb
4th Gear Member

I did it without jacking up the engine, you just need patience and you might need to move the rack out of the way. Turn the pan sideways and pull it toward the front and it will come out easily.
dannyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
bigdutch
2nd Gear Member

I'll tell you what.. it takes less time to take out the whole engine.. I've done both
bigdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Just a heads up, If you don't care about keeping your oil level sensor you can make a plate and drain into there...A few guys have done it that way.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
jamison67
E30 POWER

thanks guys this will help a lot,,,,,wheres the oil level sensor located ,,,,,is it on the sid eof the pan
jamison67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: