Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

Can someone help me with this?

I have just recently purchased a 1990 325is. The body is in good shape and I believe the drive train just needs some tlc.

So here is the problem that I am experiencing at the moment. Cold start, it starts but it is running so rich and the idle is so ruff then it will eventually stall and it is a bugger to get started after that. It's like it's having full choke on.

I am getting 7.8 L/100 kms on the highway and 15-17.8 L/100 Kms in the city. I don't know if the two are related but any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW This forum has already saved me a lot of time and expense just reading some of the existing threads. It is also nice to see a site that is based in Canada.

Thanks in advance

Barry
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
4WDFUN
2nd Gear Member

02 sensors, Air flow meter, or Idle air Control Valve.
4WDFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

It would appear that the airflow meter and 02 sensor have been replaced. So I guess that narrows it down some.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
you might have leaky injectors or a bad ICV? does it seem to run ok on throttle? like, if you rev it a bit then shut it off, will it start after that? if so, could be a stuck ICV.
Leaky injectors or a bad wiring can leave injectors open a little and allow fuel to leak out until pressure is relieved from the fuel system.
If you're sure its running rich, I would clean the ICV, then make sure its operating properly to rule it out. Testing your injectors is a little harder.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

It starts right up then runs very ruff then stalls. When you try to start it after that you can smell the raw fuel. So I don't think the fuel is bleeding off. (Although I have been wrong before, and how) So I will try your suggestion of cleaning and testing the ICV .

Thanks, I will let you know how I make out.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
the fuel pressure would bleed off into your cylinder(s)
If its getting flooded, pull the spark plugs and fuel pump relay, and crank it for a few seconds and it will blast all the fuel out the plug holes. Put it all back in and see if it starts. If it does, you might have leaky or clogged injectors.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Could be bad or miss-adjusted TPS sensor. Or temp sensor causing it to think its always cold, making it run rich all the time...

My first guess would be AFM tho...try to unplug it and see how it runs in limp mode...
Bad injector could also do the same...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!

Last edited by Eurostyle; 01-03-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks guys I don't think it is perfect yet but it is a lot better. I cleaned the ICV and throttle body. Noticed and plugged a couple of small holes in the air boot.( ordered a new one) Disconnected and reconnected some of the sensor plugs. She stumbled a little this morning but didn't stall. Once she was warm I could feel the difference in her performance. She still needs some love'n, but we are going in the right direction.

Thank you
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Thanks guys I don't think it is perfect yet but it is a lot better. I cleaned the ICV and throttle body. Noticed and plugged a couple of small holes in the air boot.( ordered a new one) Disconnected and reconnected some of the sensor plugs. She stumbled a little this morning but didn't stall. Once she was warm I could feel the difference in her performance. She still needs some love'n, but we are going in the right direction.

Thank you
Everyone has given you great input; one thing was missed however, depending on mileage you could be experiencing what is called "leakdown" This is when the injectors are worn or dirty and fuel keep dripping into the combustion chamber after the car has been turned off. it was mentioned in someone's comment to check the injectors.
Another common problem with the 6's is carbon build up on the valves. A buddy of mine who's a bmw tech at maranello told me on start up they will run rough do to this problem. Solution is to remove the intake and get a long screwdriver and scrap the carbon deposits off the valves. He told me he hasn't had much success with injector cleaners. There used to be a system that bmw dealerships had that would hook up to the car and would recycle through the injection system to clean the injectors and valves. He hasn't seen one in a while.
my car is also a 90/325is and it is doing the same thing -rough idle shortly after start up. just over 200k- everything else checks out. It just started doing the hard start bit - as I suspect the injectors are wearing.

cheers.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
Barry
1st Gear Newbie

I would like to replace the injectors and the AMF with the 525 equivalents as suggested in another thread. I wouldn't mind a little more power. However I just want to get her running decent until the fall when she will become my little project car. I would like to keep it as close to stock as I can. I love the body style of these cars.

I had a very nice E34 93 525i up until some kid ran a intersection while she was texting. May it rest in peace.

So once again I would like to thank everyone for their input and sound advice. I am sure I will be calling on you again in the near future.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: