Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Fines are going up for the privilege of driving:

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/...u-big-time-now

Starting New Year's Day, the fines for major traffic infractions doubled, tripled and in some cases even quadrupled.

"Yes, they've gone up considerably," said Const. Graham Williamson of Ontario Provincial Police. "We are just happy to have laws which make people safe."

The fine for red-light violations has increased to $325 from $180, and to $480 from $180 in a community safety zone, such as those surrounding hospitals and schools.

Drivers without seat belts or child seat violations will now be fined $240 instead of the previous $110, while motorists charged with careless driving will have to fork out $480 now as opposed to $315.

But the most drastic fine increase is for failing to stop for an emergency vehicle it's now $490 instead of $110.

"The idea is to deter people from passing . . . make the roads safe," said Sgt. Paul Rinkoff of Toronto Police.

The new fines are set by the provincial ministry of transportation.

There's more: apart from the possibility of a two-year licence suspension and six months in jail, the maximum penalties for careless driving or failing to remain at the scene of an accident have gone up to $2,000 from $1,000.

The top penalty for failing to pull over and stop for emergency vehicles quadruples to $2,000, plus, three demerit points and a possible two-year licence suspension.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
abc12
4th Gear Member

heard this on the news as well a few days ago... but what gets me all wound up is the speeding fine increases too, not just double but probably 3x or 4x the amount, which is ridiculous... as mentioned before, with everything we do to live in this city, it's just one big cash-grab... and it'll never end

after hearing this on the news, maybe it's time to invest in a radar detector or a laser jammer. I know these are not legal here, but.....

Last edited by abc12; 01-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
A~G
Car Payment Free

Send a message via MSN to A~G
The only one I agree with is the one that dictates moving out of the way for EMS

A~G

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.
A~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

no problems with it here - I'm not an idiot driver... Idiot drivers deserve this.
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Ahhh, this makes me feel good about selling the M5. Man, the power that kicked in when you downshifted into 3rd, floored it and entered the yellow light intersection was unreal. Within split second you were across! No waitng for "about to be red lights", ever. ( did get owned by red light camera's tho)

O well, now I just gotta work on the speeding...

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
hustler
2nd Gear Member

I have no problem with this. It will only hurt sloppy drivers, and they're usually the assholes you swear at when you're driving.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
pawcio
6th Gear Member

same here. agree with hustler. you have to assume that most people who get slapped with these fines will be those who deserve it, meaning they either break these laws maliciously (knowingly) or are oblivious/brain cramp type repeat offenders. do i actually think that this will make a significant difference...probably not.
if i did a stupid thing one day and got one of these tickets, sure i'd rather have paid less, but i'll just continue being careful and hopefully keep my cash for more useful things.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

well don't i feel privileged insurance rates raised 3rd time in a year, high gas costs, shitty economy, hst? WTF.. i'd say we should complain, actually protest but look at this thread 60% think its great, cause they'll never ever be on the recieving end, even if in error - unthinkable!

opp "We are just happy to have laws which make people safe." how the fuk does Quadrupaling the cost of a violation make us safer christ there were people a year after the stunt/racing law came out that hadn't heard about it = no deterent.

oh yeah and meanwhile.. Drunk driving deaths up 50% This year's holiday season RIDE campaign may have found fewer drunks on the road but alcohol related deaths on Eastern Ontario highways are up 50% for the year.
http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../12344621.html
Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
well don't i feel privileged insurance rates raised 3rd time in a year, high gas costs, shitty economy, hst? WTF.. i'd say we should complain, actually protest but look at this thread 60% think its great, cause they'll never ever be on the recieving end, even if in error - unthinkable!

opp "We are just happy to have laws which make people safe." how the fuk does Quadrupaling the cost of a violation make us safer christ there were people a year after the stunt/racing law came out that hadn't heard about it = no deterent.

oh yeah and meanwhile.. Drunk driving deaths up 50% This year's holiday season RIDE campaign may have found fewer drunks on the road but alcohol related deaths on Eastern Ontario highways are up 50% for the year.
http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../12344621.html
i don't think the laws make us safer. dumb people will continue to do dumb things no matter how much it costs because they are dumb.

do you really think that if we protested it would change anything? even if the fines were reduced the quota would increase and more tickets would be handed out or a totally new tax would be created to balance the books. the government isn't that stupid. once they collect a certain amount they will just give you the impression they're giving it back to you. you'll just be getting raped without knowing it.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
I think this is great. Just look at how much the stunt driving law has reduced speeding. I'm not in support of that law, but I do see the results of it, which is a drastic reduction in excessive speeding, especially on 400 series highways.

To the people complaining about this law, spend that effort in improving your driving so that you aren't caught and fined. Simple.

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
In 16 years of driving, I've yet to do those things they are raising the rates on. I've only received 2 speeding tickets in that time.

If I do end up doing something stupid and get one of those tickets - my fault - it will be a good reminder. Only kids with no brains and no money have something to worry about.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
"The idea is to deter people from passing . . . make the roads safe," said Sgt. Paul Rinkoff of Toronto Police.

the idea is to dter people from passing???? i don't get it. i just find that most of the time, the people who need to get a wreckless/careless driving ticket will never get it and thats what pisses me off. i have a couple friends that drive like morons and they never get any tickets.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

deter people from passing emergency vehicles...
Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
deter people from passing emergency vehicles...
that makes more sense.....didn't realize people would pass those cars.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
that makes more sense.....didn't realize people would pass those cars.
that's why these laws are in place. because normal people wouldn't even consider doing some of this stuff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: