Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

One BMW fixed, the other has a problem.. Help please..

I fixed my older 323I with the EML problem, which costed 2000.00 at BMW and now 1 week later my other car a 2002 325I has a serious issue. If anyone has any insight please post.
I drove my car for about an hour today everything was fine. I parked the car for about 2 hours, came back outside and the instrument cluster didn't work. Even without turning the car on, when i switch the lights on, the instrument cluster does not light up., when i turn the car on the parking brake and the brake pad light comes on and then disappears. the speedo doesn't work, the fuel gauge doesn't work, non of the needles work, although the speedo worked for a little bit when i took it for a test drive. There are no strange noises with the car, doesn't seem like it runs any different, but the cluster either flickers or doesn't work at all. What could it be, i am stumped. I did check the fuses in the glove box, the 3 fuses seemed to be good., Is there anything else I should check? Should i put in the cluster from my 323I to my 325I to see what happens?, I don't want the tampering light to come on either. PLEASE HELP, I just forked out 2000 dollars... *
k1zzle[tt] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
ca12lo
2nd Gear Member

Step 1. Stay as far away from the dealership.

Step 2. Take it to RMP.

Step 3. Post on max how quick and cost-effective Rocco fixes your problem.

(FYI: RMP is a max sponsor)
ca12lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

That would be my obvious choice if I cant fix it myself. I'm not asking for directions to the nearest shop, I'm asking for a solution to my problem.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
Bliss
Administrator

I'm not aware of there being any relay or anything else for the cluster so it appears that the cluster or the harness' might be your problem. I would first try and unplug the cluster, take it out, clean all the connectors. Make sure there's no corrosion or anything from moisture or water, and plug it back in and test. I think that should be your first step.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

Will do first thing in the morning.. although there is one thing bothering me.. when i checked the fuses in the glove box, the three fuses to check were circled by the previous owner. I think I may have problem, Ill update you guys tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
Bliss
Administrator

Hopefully there's no underlying electrical problem that you're not aware of that the previous owner was. Good luck, keep us posted.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
Steve30
Techno Viking

The soldering on the cluster can break apart causing the malfunction. This is a common issue with BMW's (or at least E36's).

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
The soldering on the cluster can break apart causing the malfunction. This is a common issue with BMW's (or at least E36's).
You can add e30's to the list with the same problem.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
ca12lo
2nd Gear Member

I don't mean to crap on your thread but you spent as you stated close to $2000 paying someone else to get the following fixed:

-throttle body and all assembly parts 1186.59
-stage two diagnostics 254.00 I belive it was 2 hours.
-wiring harness 276.67
With taxes it cost:

AND....now you want to diy an electrical problem in your BMW, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Just saying....

GL though!
ca12lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1zzle[tt] View Post
I fixed my older 323I with the EML problem, which costed 2000.00 at BMW and now 1 week later my other car a 2002 325I has a serious issue. If anyone has any insight please post.
I drove my car for about an hour today everything was fine. I parked the car for about 2 hours, came back outside and the instrument cluster didn't work. Even without turning the car on, when i switch the lights on, the instrument cluster does not light up., when i turn the car on the parking brake and the brake pad light comes on and then disappears. the speedo doesn't work, the fuel gauge doesn't work, non of the needles work, although the speedo worked for a little bit when i took it for a test drive. There are no strange noises with the car, doesn't seem like it runs any different, but the cluster either flickers or doesn't work at all. What could it be, i am stumped. I did check the fuses in the glove box, the 3 fuses seemed to be good., Is there anything else I should check? Should i put in the cluster from my 323I to my 325I to see what happens?, I don't want the tampering light to come on either. PLEASE HELP, I just forked out 2000 dollars... *
I know this sounds pretty silly to say but we always seem to miss the obvious. Which is why it doesn't seem obvious. PLEASE check your fuses. You just might have one that's blown. my few "cents" worth. :-)

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
I have a copy of Carsoft. If there's an internal fault in one of the modules, then maybe Carsoft will "see" the problem. It's likely a mechanical fault (wiring harness or related), but maybe Carsoft might identify the source of the problem.... PM me if you want it scanned.....
nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
MANDD
Autobahn East

Before you do anything,

disconnect the cluster wait 30secs then reconnect or disconnect both battery terminals off and away from battery. Touch terminals together for 10sec.

Reconnect to battery and carry out functional check.

If you need local assistance call 905-686-2700

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
PrettyFreddy
aka Donut Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
I know this sounds pretty silly to say but we always seem to miss the obvious. Which is why it doesn't seem obvious. PLEASE check your fuses. You just might have one that's blown. my few "cents" worth. :-)
he DID CHECK the fuses

on topic: +1 on what what Bliss said. As with electrical issues, if it's intermittent you can place your bet on loose or corroded connection. It's a safe and affordable bet to lose but big to gain
PrettyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

I think I'm having some sort of progress once I did what MANDD suggested. The Cluster now lights up completely, before it wouldn't or would flicker, now its solid. But now i have no mileage on my car, the speedometer goes to 280kmph and most of the lights are illuminated. The Cluster reads PPPPP. I'm assuming I have to get the car reset?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
MANDD
Autobahn East

So far so good.

At this point you will need to reset the cluster via the tester.

Swing by tomorrow and I will reset it for you.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: