Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Anyone notice that this years online boxing day deals SUCK?

As the title says...

Last year, there was deal after deal - this year - meh... nothing overly special... Maybe 1 or 2 items...

Bought a DVD recorder for $99, even that's not a STELLAR deal, but not bad for a brand name device...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Bliss
Administrator

Honestly i got turned off by the whole boxing day hype after seeing a bike i wanted a week or two before boxing day for about $600, during boxing day they bumped up the price to about $700 and put their discount on it.

I'm not saying all places are like this, but it just makes me more sceptical...and the commotion and stress isn't worth the discount a lot of the time. Just my opinion.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
all the good items were in small supplies, almost impossible to get one, I managed to pick up that Sharp 40" LCD 1080p for $599 from Futureshop but that was pretty much it. everything else I looked at wasn't mark down that much at all.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Yea, FS and BB had a couple of screen's on for a good price, the rest were OK deals...
Old 12-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
Honestly i got turned off by the whole boxing day hype after seeing a bike i wanted a week or two before boxing day for about $600, during boxing day they bumped up the price to about $700 and put their discount on it.

I'm not saying all places are like this, but it just makes me more sceptical...and the commotion and stress isn't worth the discount a lot of the time. Just my opinion.
I think all places are like that. The sales are either very marginal (worse than they normally would have during other times of year), aren't sales at all like you encountered, or it's a sale on an item no one actually wants. One time I was browsing GPS units at FS, asked the rep which one has better features. He says Garmin or Tomtom are both good, then leans over and says quietly, just don't buy the ones we get for boxing day "sales", they're trash.

My favorite was last year though. They had that $99 Toshiba HDDVD player with 3 movies deal. People lined up in a circle around the store at 6AM to get those (I went to have a look and left). Then they were dozens of postings on CL selling them without the movies for $150. That week Toshiba announced that HDDVDs were no longer going to be made. All the scalpers took two fists up the poop-shoot.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I don't put any stock in what FS reps say. For them it's all about commission. When I used to work for Compaq, before HP made them shit, I used to work very closely with FS's head office in Vancouver. We used to joke about how quickly we could get them off the shelves if we increased the commissions. All money for them. Remember, they make squat from the boxing day deals, so there's that reps incentive.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

There is always this hype that everything on boxing day is dirt cheap when they are either marginally discounted or not discounted at all. It's pretty bad when you can find the same thing on eBay year round that are the marquee sales on boxing day for cheaper. Lol
Old 12-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Yea, but in years gone by, there's been some decent discounts. I've monitored them closely, I ain't one to pay retail - Hell man! I'm brown! ;-)
Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Yeah Deep, I remember when you pointed out last year some SLR cams. How does it work now when it comes to SLR camera. I wanna go to Vancouver in a Month, do not wanna go if I dont have a slr with me.
lvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Because of the economy retailers went into the holidays with less inventory, so it means less to put on sale after the majority is bought before Xmas.
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
I find this kinda strange, on the 24th at 8pm online I purchased some items from Best Buy, I just checked out the same items today & they are either not on sale anymore or the discount is less, isn't today boxing day? the sales were better 2 days ago.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
sirex
King Sirex

boxing day is a scam every year./
Old 12-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

^^^ No, it's not. I've purchased items well below their retail in the past..

Ivan - The only deals I'm seeing is for the entry level SLR's, nothing that I would buy to be honest. If I was out there buying one today, it would be the Nikon D90.

Deep
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
sirex
King Sirex

ya, there are some good sales on. Great. You have to go wait in line to get them though. And then, they only have a few in stock anyway, so maybe they are out. Then what, you waited in line since early morning but they are out of what you wanted, but you have to buy something youre not going to go home empty handed. So you buy something that isn't that well discounted. The deals weren't even that good this year. Other then the Sharp Aquous for 599$, nothing else was really that great. And truth be told, thats an old model, I wouldn't be surprised if by late Janurary- Mid Februrary all those 60hz LCDs are less then 650$.

Hence its all scams anyway to get you to spend your money on shit you didn't want in the first place. Give me a break, 3x Sharps at the location someone posted above? Meanwhile it says 3000 screens chainwide. Do they have 1000 futureshop chains in Canada? All bullshit. There should have been at least >20 per store with those numbers

Last edited by sirex; 12-26-2009 at 12:17 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

You really have a problem when it comes to admitting you are wrong. Grow up some them post.

Did I say I waited in line? ONLINE not in line. Geez...

I bought a 50" plasma 3 years ago for $1700. That's just now become the normal price of them.

You're wrong - plain and simple. There are deals to be had, without major hassle.

For those who are actually posting relevant info: last year I had to wait over 20 minutes in the "virtual" line at FS, this year less than 1 minute. A testament to the crappy deals this year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: