Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #31
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fever. View Post
I love E39 M5's a lot. One of the most beautiful cars ever made by BMW, and it pulls hard in every gear. It's just pretty unreliable and is prone to expensive repairs, which is why the E36 M3 would be a safer bet if money and maintainence is a concern.
Unreliable? Well it's nice to see that you haven't changed lol.

When you say prone to expensive repairs, to the average person just the regular maintenance for an E39 is going to be expensive (i.e some shops that specialize in servicing German cars will only put full synthetic race oil in an E39 M5), so yeah when and if something breaks it's going to cost more to repair just because the caliber of the car.
__________________

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 01-10-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #32
rendered
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fever. View Post
I love E39 M5's a lot. One of the most beautiful cars ever made by BMW, and it pulls hard in every gear. It's just pretty unreliable and is prone to expensive repairs, which is why the E36 M3 would be a safer bet if money and maintainence is a concern.
Oh! NO WAY! look who it is?! I thought you were permanently banned? Finally figure out how to open a new account?

Welcome back Tyler aka TNation!
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #33
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,194
Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Unsure why everyone is under the impression that regular E39s or M5s are unreliable.
I don't believe these cars will break down or leave you stranded any more frequently than other BMWs.
In fact my wife's E36 has alot more quirks than my E39.

Zzzz-zipping up my flame-suit.
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #34
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN 3 View Post
In fact my wife's E36 has alot more quirks than my E39.

Zzzz-zipping up my flame-suit.
Well I know for a fact that when I was driving an E39 the windows didn't randomly go up and down, that's a terrible quirk to have for the winter time
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #35
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L
 
parm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scarbrough
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN 3 View Post
Unsure why everyone is under the impression that regular E39s or M5s are unreliable.
I don't believe these cars will break down or leave you stranded any more frequently than other BMWs.
In fact my wife's E36 has alot more quirks than my E39.

Zzzz-zipping up my flame-suit.
Well said.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #36
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L
 
parm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scarbrough
Posts: 807
My e39 M5 sometimes bitches, wines, and complains but what 175000km car doesn't? it still blows my mind everytime I turn it on.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #37
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
My e39 M5 sometimes bitches, wines, and complains but what 175000km car doesn't? it still blows my mind everytime I turn it on.
Yeah my old man's E39 M5 gives me goose bumps every time he starts it up. The Dinan Exhaust makes it sound god like and the MarkD software unleashed even more fury from the beast.
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.