Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Why would you buy an M5, then complain about that cost of Rotors, That like buying a V10 viper and wondering why it uses so much gas? Whats you point about the rotors?
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
325ixE30
3rd Gear Member

If both were in good shape I would pick the M5 hands down. Styling, is much easier on the eye, they are rare compared to an E36 M3 and that v8 is sooooo sweet.

Both are great cars. Its a good problem to have choosing between them. I wish I had those problems.

If it were up to me I would pick a E30 M3 and drop a S52 in there!

Santa?
Old 12-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm View Post
Why would you buy an M5, then complain about that cost of Rotors, That like buying a V10 viper and wondering why it uses so much gas? Whats you point about the rotors?
Hey aren't you running Nexen tires on that elitist M5?

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
I think his point is don't expect regular E39 part costs. I didn't think the M5 rotors would be the same price as the regular E39s, but I also didn't think they would be $400 each!!

Just because people can scrape together the price of a used M5, doesn't mean they have unlimited money. If they did they would buy something new with a warranty.
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I guess the general census is that maintainace is going to be more, but there are also a few more things that can cause major/pricey repairs.

Compared to an s50/2 that goes for $2500 these days, there aren't many big expensive repairs to worry about. Whereas i wouldnt like to think what a headjob, vanos, etc would cost.....let alone a replacement s62.

No argument they have more power and are more luxurious than an e36 m3, but you can't really compare them in terms of reliability.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Hey aren't you running Nexen tires on that elitist M5?

Yeah, I have seen an e46 M3 at meets with about 20k of mods running Nexen's You think nexen's are cheap tires? I have a set of MICHELIN Pilot Sport waiting for a set of BBS's you know of anyting for sale that are straight? dosen't matter model just 18's ?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
^IMHO The M5 is the king even if it stays on bald tires. I would not put them in anyway even if I had a private jet.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #23
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_VQ View Post
I think his point is don't expect regular E39 part costs. I didn't think the M5 rotors would be the same price as the regular E39s, but I also didn't think they would be $400 each!!

Just because people can scrape together the price of a used M5, doesn't mean they have unlimited money. If they did they would buy something new with a warranty.
You people need to wake up! Scrape up money to buy a used M5? If you do that you wouldn't be eating! (insurance, gas, maintence etc. it's not a cheap car). All I am trying to say is that people who are not or will never be in the market to purchase an M5 (not just and e39) shouldn’t use cost of maintence, problems etc. as an excuse in stopping them from buying an M5. Is that why Nobody ever want's to go for drinks at kelsey's at the Friday night meets?
Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #24
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Who's complaining? i just explained to him what it's like having one. It's retarded to scrape money for an M5 when u can't maintain it, it's just going to be sitting in your driveway broken ass.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #25
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Drinks on the house
Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #26
taxi615
3rd Gear Member

yeah I get the point of all you guy's...my original question was just to have an ideal of both cars since I own the E36 M3 and up to now it has been very good to me. I've never owned an M5 so dont know much about them execpt specs and stuff. in qc city not many people have them and I was maybe looking into getting something that stands out more. Cost of parts are'nt a big issue but if the S62, vanos or other main parts fail then I'm out of luck or digging very deep in my pockets for repairs.

but all the comments have been usefull and will let you know if I jumped the fence or not. besides I just bought a spare 3.2L with dinan s/c for 1800$ some guy's dont know what they have lying around...lol...the motor has 110 km. I will use for parts and s/c is going to be slapped on the M3 this winter.
taxi615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #27
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Put it this way, M5 is a bit more to maintain. But the end result is well worth it.

That being said. How much would you want for the m3 block? Please pm me.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #28
taxi615
3rd Gear Member

Sorry but the bloc is not for sale.
taxi615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #29
BonitaBeast
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS_DAN View Post
Put it this way, M5 is a bit more to maintain. But the end result is well worth it.
me.
+1

I went from an '93 E36 325is (My pride and joy kept in Mint condition and sold in 2005 with only 59k miles!) to an E39 M5 that I bought in 2008 with 69k miles and never looked back.

I was actually looking at and test driving e36 M3's and E46 M3's to replace the 325is but the minute I test drove my first E39 M5, the search completely changed; especially when I found out how much less the E39 M5's were going for at that point.

I did my researched the problem areas and what to look for, then test drove a few, found the perfect one for me and bit the bullet. BTW, mine is a 2003 and had about 3 months left on the after market warranty when I bought it. The previous owner had pretty much replaced everything that could possibly be replaced while under warranty and maintained the car like any obsessive compulsive person would so I was pretty lucky with the find.

1 year later, so far so good! I can't be any happier.
BMW CCA NJ #416647

Mostly stock......looking
BonitaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #30
911fever.
Banned

I love E39 M5's a lot. One of the most beautiful cars ever made by BMW, and it pulls hard in every gear. It's just pretty unreliable and is prone to expensive repairs, which is why the E36 M3 would be a safer bet if money and maintainence is a concern.
911fever. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: