Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
sof220
1st Gear Newbie

New guy here.

Hey guys!
Im a proud owner of a 525i, which I recently got. So far, I love it! It might be a little old since it is a '92 but its really comfortable, considering I had a swift before that. I live in Toronto and looking to go to some meets sometime soon. The weather sucks though . But this big guy keeps me warm in the cold, and with its nice paint/wheel combo keeps me happy. But it is 5speed. And I'm thinking of maybe moving onto Automatic, so I was wondering how much I can get for it? It's got 270kms on it and runs mint, no engine problems, no rust, interior is mint! everything is original. I feel bad as this will be the first winter since forever! I did a small photo shoot of it, hope you guys like it!

ps, that puddle of water is not from the car
sof220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
W2WDETAILING
Banned

welcome to maxbimmer nice clean car. dont think there are any winter meets. but there are plenty in the spring summer and fall. enjoy the car
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Welcome! Nice ride.

However why would you want to go "automatic"?
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

welcome to the sandbox

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Fel
Not Banned

Welcome to the board! Nice e34 you've got there.

Is there any reason you want to move to an auto from this 5 speed? Usually people are trying to do just the opposite... haha. Is the transmission/clutch in good shape? Or is it you just prefer to let the car do the work?

Not sure what these are going for these days, but unfortunately not that much. It's an old car with high mileage, and every new generation that comes out just drives the value down even further. My first bimmer was a 525 as well, but I had to sell it for pennies. I'd love to have another... but like I said, age is always a factor for some people.

There are weekly Friday night meets at the La Paloma plaza in Woodbridge near Hwy 7 and Weston Rd, right behind the Kelsey's. Attendance usually drops off during the winter, nobody wants to drive their pretty garage queens.. But sometimes a meet happens anyways. usually during the spring/summer, there's always a crowd after 10pm.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
sof220
1st Gear Newbie

thats good to know! maybe ill swing by this friday, we'll see who's there

See, I just want to relax while driving, so I dont have to shift any gears or anything.
The clutch and tranny are in excellent shape. 5speed is fun, but I think its time to move on.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
VSanj
6th Gear Member

nice and clean.....welcome to max!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Stick with the stick. You'll get more out of your driving experience! It may seem like a hassle initially but it becomes 2nd nature.

nice car.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
sof220
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the welcome guys

All the cars that I had for the past 1.5 years were all 5speed, getting tired lol.
maybe ill stick with stick
Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
As long as it is inline 6, stick is the way to go. I had 318i with no torque and it did not bother me too too much. Let alone that we have too many stop signs.
lvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
lvan
6th Gear Member

Going back to the sale. I doubt you will get some coin out of her. The 525 is like E30 four door. You may have a clean car but no sport seats, LSD and what not , there just is not any attention for anyone to make a decent offers. I have seen rusted out 325is sell just because it has some sport goodies that get some attention.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
mkgino
6th Gear Member

hi gamite
Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
molotova
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to molotova
welcome and nice ride and yeah i think stick is better specially when you hit the events...i was ashamed on my way back cuz i was the only dude with an Automatic lol...but next time ill have a 5spd 4 sho
Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #14
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sof220 View Post
All the cars that I had for the past 1.5 years were all 5speed, getting tired lol. maybe ill stick with stick.
I drove stick for years, then my wife conned me into buying an auto with tip shift when we bought our outback wagon. For a while the you'll enjoy the lazy factor, but driving gets boring. It didn't take long until I was missing the 3rd pedal.

I guess it all depends on how much you enjoy that "lazy factor".

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 AM   #15
lvan
6th Gear Member

I know what you mean. I have a few friends in early 20s that drive their parent's cars. One of them told me that they get tired of driving stick. I wonder how can that happen to a person in early 20s. I wonder where is that youth that is in them.....? I find it strange. I mean it all comes down to being lazy imho. I remember when I started driving automatic tranny, it was a blast lol to me as a kid, but the time came when I used cruise control too often. I knew right away that I got lazy. Even than when I drive auto, I miss stickshift. I get lazy to hold brakes and pop it in neutral lol. Something tells me that I am too young to give up on stickshift. the

Even the trip tronic is very misleading I think. I bet it gets used in first six months, and than they never use it again. They just leave it in auto mode and drive it like that next ten years. I think that's the case in 90% of owners with tip tronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
I drove stick for years, then my wife conned me into buying an auto with tip shift when we bought our outback wagon. For a while the you'll enjoy the lazy factor, but driving gets boring. It didn't take long until I was missing the 3rd pedal.

I guess it all depends on how much you enjoy that "lazy factor".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: