Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
davericher20
black and blue

OT what do you think?

I got in a HUGE heated argument with my best friend for about 2 hours on this subject.

My friend and I are pretty close and have a really lax friendship, nothing ever gets to us and we think the same. We have never been mad at each other....ever. Until now. It's awkward and I hate it, but oh well.

I'm saving up for a ring right now and am gonna propose to my girlfriend...

The argument started because I told him I want to spend about 3-4k on a ring and he said I'm skimping.

His reasoning is when he bought his ring for his girl, ($6,500) he wants other girls to be embarrased to show their rings cause they can't compare to the size of his fiances ring.

I told him I don't give a shit about what other people think and my girl is gonna like whatever ring I give her. PLus she'd pissed off at me if I spend a ridiculous amount of money on a ring because it could be better spent on a down payment on a house.

He says no girl is ever satisfied with the ring they have if their friends is bigger and fancier.

I say if that's the case then maybe you need to reevaluate the girl you're marrying.

He didn't like that.

I brought up the fact that maybe when my girl bought me the watch I'm wearing she should have bought me a rolex so when I compare it to other guy's watches they don't want to show me theirs cause they're embarrassed.

He didn't think it was the same thing.

I know there's an unwritten rule that you should spend 3 months pay on your ring......but I'm not gonna go out and spend over 10k on a ring.

It got ugly after that.

what do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Fel
Not Banned

I think your friend doesn't have his priorities straight, but everyone is different.

I'm sort of in the same boat, but no way in hell am I spending $6K plus on a ring. I'm not in a financial position to do so. I want to spend enough to get something nice, tasteful, and good enough quality.

If my girl was concerned with having the largest ring out of all her friends, she wouldn't be my girl. I'm not a fan of materialistic hoebags (male or female), and I spend my money smartly.

I think you're doing the right thing, and don't let your friend convince you otherwise.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

How did that arguement end up lasting 2 hours?

http://financialplan.about.com/cs/si...amondRings.htm

I agree with you here:

Quote:
He says no girl is ever satisfied with the ring they have if their friends is bigger and fancier.

I say if that's the case then maybe you need to reevaluate the girl you're marrying.
Truthfully it shouldn't matter if it's a washer off your E30 or some insane harry winston piece but realistically you're not going to let your girl walk around with a washer from your E30 it will throw the balance of the car off.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 12-10-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
cisco911
6th Gear Member

live within your means!!! Buy what you can afford! And yes, girls will look at other girls rings. just like if you see someone in a ferrari, you wish you could have that too. Whether it is a big deal or not depends on your girl and what her priorities are. Also, tell your buddy that spending 6,500 is not splurging and that there are many rings that will put her's to shame so he should get his head out of his ass.....for example: my friend spend $25,000 on the ring for his GF and my cousin's ring was $40,000 USD!!!

PS:I spent $4500 on the ring for my now wife and she loves it.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Well this ring is suppose to be for life (some upgrade at 25 years but still) so you would think you could spend a little for the one you love. Your going to see that ring on her finger for many years.

I spent a pretty penny on my girls ring .. shes the type of girl that never asks for much and isnt even close to being materialistic as other woman I have dated. For this reason alone is why I want her to have a nice ring to show off and be proud to wear because she deserves it.

thats my 2 cents.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Bottom line is you know your girlfriend and what is important to her. Your buddy is entitled to his opinion but it's nobody's business how much you spend. You gave him too much info.

I can safely say I do not agree with the spending habits of ANY of my friends. (and I don't expect to)

Take your buddy out for a beer, he can't call you cheap if you are buying, and agree to disagree.

Sounds like your g/f has her priorities straight. IMHO.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
vladvm
2nd Gear Member

there are more things to spend on later in life...for example wedding...downpament for house...vacations...kid/s...

I think you are doing alright. Do what you feel is right for both you and your gf.
vladvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
///Maluco
5erholic

It sounds as though your girlfriend is a keeper.

Your friend should accept that she doesn't require a 5 carat rock on her. He can provide an opinion but at the end of the day, you're the one that needs to fork over the coin.

You should spend what you can and that's it. Don't put yourself in a hole for this. Buy smart and put what you can aside for your future. Too many people are already in deep debt due to their poor spending habits. Don't be one of those.

Good luck.

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

No offense but your friend thinks like an idiot (atleast in this case) and I think you should show him this thread... lol.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:46 AM   #10
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

^lmao!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
i was told it should be something like 5% of your salary...or something like that.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
i was told it should be something like 5% of your salary...or something like that.
The unofficial rule of thumb is 2 months, I believe.

1/6th
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post

Truthfully it shouldn't matter if it's a washer off your E30 or some insane harry winston piece but realistically you're not going to let your girl walk around with a washer from your E30 it will throw the balance of the car off.
LOL. Classic.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
magnus
6th Gear Member

I am sorry.....are you buying the ring for your friend or your girlfriend?
Who gives a shit what he thinks. Its what your girl will think...and the value is not important. Its the geisture and what you feel about her. If she cares more about the value you shouldnt be with her.

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: