Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

EML Light on Please Help!!

I was on the highway today going to work and the EML turned on and the car started bogging, basically feeling a huge loss of power, other symptoms included not being able to go over 80kmph when I revved it up it, the gas pedal no longer worked until i restarted the car. Iv done some research apparently its in limp mode, can anyone confirm that? Also I read it may be the butterfly valve stuck so I'm going to go clean that now. Can anything else be causing all of this? I also noticed within 2300-2600RPM the car runs smoothly at around 70km per hour. Should I take it to BMW dealership or can i fix it myself? I have a 2000 BMW 323I

Please any help would be appreciated

thanks
k1zzle[tt] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

really, no techi's here?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
cisco911
6th Gear Member

I think it might be your MAF. Easy to replace, but not cheap.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

Is it possible to clean it? Can I use a harsh chemical like brake cleaner or parts cleaner?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Just get it scanned man, your ideas are scaring me. Find out what is wrong then decide on a remedy.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Get it scanned like Jay said.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_..._on_a_bmw_mean

Quote:
The "EML" warning light in a BMW indicates a problem with the "drive by wire" throttle control system."
"EML" is an acronym for "Elektronische Motorleistungsregelung". Loosely translated from the original German for the BMW owner means Electrionic Engine Power Control.
"EML" is BMW's system name for electronic throttle management. The "EML" system, in it's most basic sense consists of an accelerator pedal (with an electronic position sensor), a computer module (usu. integrated with the main engine computer), and an EDK (Elektronische Drosselklappe or Electronic throttle valve). The EDK is also known as a "drive by wire" throttle. "EDK" throttles use a computer controlled stepper motor rather than a purely mechanical linkage (usu. metal cable attached directly to the accelerator pedal) to control the opening and closing of the throttle plate.
"Drive by wire" throttles are very common on modern vehicles starting in the late nineties up through the present day. "Drive by wire" technology enables very precise throttle control to improve drivability and vehicle emissions, as well as many convenience features like electronic cruise control, traction control & stability control.
BMW first implemented "drive by wire" in very limited quantities on the most expensive & sophistocated BMW models starting in 1988.
The latest generation of advanced vehicle features to take advandage of "drive by wire" technology are radar guided cruise control, accident avoidance control, autonomous-driving, and autonomous-parking systems.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Michel
6th Gear Member

might be a cam position sensor, they are common to fail... but as everyone above said, get it scanned, otherwise 100 problems could be guessed
Old 12-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

ok thanks guys, let you know what happens tomorrow, cleaning the throttle body did'nt do anything, this is a real bummer.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
fadi03325i
1st Gear Newbie

Good luck man, that does not sound like fun.....
UUC Catback Exhaust
20% Tints
H and R Touring Cup Kit

......hmmmmm - whats next?
fadi03325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
arsevader
4th Gear Member

might be, could be, probably be, is....

these are things you will find on internet boards, as Jay says start with a read of codes. A good mech will clear all the codes first then see what codes come back. There could be old ones stored in there to confuse things.
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

got a call yesterday saying there was a rip in the intake boot. (27$ part)
they told me that I was up to 530$ plus tax and they still haven't found the cause.

Today, a lady called me saying they have found the solution, but are not 100% sure that it will fix the car. Apparently its a Throttle Body Wiring Harness as to my recollection. The total cost now is 1590.00 plus taxes.
I should find out tomorrow if it fixed the problem, or if further work is needed.

Any comments or concerns would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Dude. Where the hell did you take your car?

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
Michel
6th Gear Member

yea, where did you take it?? I would pull it out of that place a.s.a.p and go to one of our sponsor shops.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

We told you to get it scanned, not to get some random shop to randomly start changing parts.

All you needed was for them to tell you. XXXXX is the Code.
XXXXX is what WE THINK will fix it.
IF they don't work on bmws much, what THEY THINK, is meaningless and you should look into the fixes yourself.

I wouldn't let anyone fix something that they weren't sure was the problem, they obviously don't know what they are doing and you shouldn't be paying for it.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
k1zzle[tt]
1st Gear Newbie

Easy t-Dot, I highly doubt anyone knows BMW's better, than Ajax BMW where I took it. There were 19 faults codes, they started fixing the one that was most possible. Apparently the problem is fixed, they said it was the engine harness. If I did get the codes read by obd2 I wouldnt know where to start.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: