Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: what should i do w/ the insurance money? (prob $2000 CDN)
buy another 325e and pretend nothing happened 4 7.84%
try the impossible and look for an 325es 5 9.80%
cave in and simply buy a 325is 29 56.86%
buy a 318is despite it being a noise box, w/o ps/r, and with fused back windows 4 7.84%
listen to mom and let it go cause i was prob never gonna get around to doing it up anyways 17 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #31
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Listen to your mother.
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #32
kungfucious
1st Gear Newbie

some housework...

anybody else on-board with what msinger proposes?

whats up with the reply arek gave? am i missing something?

SamE30e: thnx for the encouragement. i was striving for the clean cut factory look mainly cause i got no $$ and b/c i wanted to know how these felt out of the box before i began tinkering with it.

ACS_DAN:
1st... are you a 16yr old female from california or some guy from toronto?
2nd... what makes you think my prefrence would be to get an es?
(dammit... youre right btw. and i especially dont want to admit that if you really are a 16yr old chick)

E30Kid: the car is standard, but youre from winona, ONT? would you really come out here to bc to get it? have we talked before or am i still hallucinating?

cocacola_bob: i really dont know what im gonna do. its winter now so at least this gives me an excuse to not buy anything until the survivors pass this season's ice and snow. incase you didnt know... we out here in bc are horrible drivers when conditions are frosty. hopefully icbc tenders me a giant offer and i have more options. in the meantime... im gathering ads from other e30s just incase i need to negotiate my release price.

BimmerDriver: if i kept the car, icbc would give me a lower payout and the money i get from parting it out would probably still total less than their lump sum. despite losing out $-wise, i would still consider it cause i would learn so much from taking it apart. whats stopping me is that i dont have the garage space b/c im a renter.

lotsa good ideas guys. thnx.
kungfucious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #33
cocacola bob
2nd Gear Member

Location unknown?

Holy crap your location on your Id says vcr I didn't realize you are in British Columbia (i thought the style of houses in the backround were unfamiliar) but anyways just so you know that's the reason i was sending the toronto ads your way. I thought you were out here in Ontario. Where you are cars don't get hit with all the road salt we get and I'm sure opportunity abounds with older cars in better shape. With the olympics coming your way don't know what that will do for used car prices (people make a killling don't need to dump their toy, on the other hand people make a killing then upgrade to newer or better vehicle). Keep your eyes open deals pop up anytime, if you've got the cash in hand you can swoop in make the fast deal, it's nice to be in the drivers seat.
cocacola bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #34
calegrant
6th Gear Member

It's an early model E, get what you can from ICBC and start looking for a new car. Check out www.bcbimmers.com for some decent replacements.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #35
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I knew it was BC right away. Also I suspcted some confusion lol. I mean I have not yet seen such a clean 325e in 2009. The body looks to be in pristine shape.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #36
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfucious View Post
ACS_DAN:
1st... are you a 16yr old female from california or some guy from toronto?
2nd... what makes you think my prefrence would be to get an es?
(dammit... youre right btw. and i especially dont want to admit that if you really are a 16yr old chick)
I tell you what kungfucious. If I was a 16 year old girl, all you chances of getting with me would have been lost when you admitted you wanted another Es.

=p

No I'm not a 16 year old girl from California. I'm actually a really big black guy from Toronto. Pretty much the polar opposite.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #37
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS_DAN View Post
I tell you what kungfucious. If I was a 16 year old girl, all you chances of getting with me would have been lost when you admitted you wanted another Es.

=p

No I'm not a 16 year old girl from California. I'm actually a really big black guy from Toronto. Pretty much the polar opposite.
Bwahahahha, priceless.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. '01 Exterior Upgrades; E60 SSK
Toys'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #38
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS_DAN View Post

=p

It's funny 'cause it's true.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #39
kungfucious
1st Gear Newbie

ok guys. i just got the phone call from the ins corp. they did a thorough inspection 3 weeks ago and their offer is... $1400CDN. should i be grateful/satisfied/ticked-off/smoking mad? if this accident had not happened... i would have asked for $2500 IF i had decided to sell.

here are the vitals for your consideration
  • 1986 325e -purchased 2006 at 386,000(?)
  • 397,500kms (re-built by the previous guy at 250,000, but i dont have receipts)
  • pw, pl, ps, pm, psr, cc
  • new air flow meter
  • new internal fuel pump
  • new cap & rotors
  • battery (2007), lines & hoses (2006), tyres (2006)
  • spot rust around few edges of sunroof
  • major tune-up at 393,486 (2008-Dec) $680
  • needs new undercoating around rr wheel-well
usual stuff:
dashboard on crack, bird trapped inside the fan, radioactive a/c, drivers seat ripped (rest is mint), raincloud stuck in the trunk, incomplete tool kit, missing flashlight, surface rust at joints (suspension), inoperative key light...

its my move. any idea what it should be?

Last edited by kungfucious; 01-07-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #40
pawcio
6th Gear Member

here are some values for a '86 325e from vmr canada:
325e 4 Dr Sdn Condition
Fair: $825
Clean: $1650
Excellent: $2375

Adjustments (unless indicated otherwise above)
Power sunroof or T-tops: + $100

http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus.../86bm3-es.html

if you can, find examples of similar cars selling on autotrader, autohound etc. and counter offer. insurance companies always give a lower offer at first. they'll raise their original offer if you argue a little, but you need to give reasonable examples and arguments. good luck.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #41
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Well, if you "love" this car; then it's not going to cost you anything out of pocket and get it fixed. You'll need a new qrt which is still available from dealer or aftermarket. If not. Get replacement value or get a check from the guy for what it will cost. Part the car out; take that $$$$ and what you got for the car and find yourself another e30. it won't be cheap to fix. a couple grand as suggested for cut and weld and bondo/paint.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #42
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Tell the car you'll take their offer of 1400 if they cover half your maintenance for the last year. They'll probably do it, and it seems like if they do you got reciepts to prove plenty.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #43
razzor
2nd Gear Member

Call an appraiser 100 bucks, if the car is worth it, in your opinion.
with maint. records and inspection the value may be higher.
It's cost versus gain. !!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #44
kungfucious
1st Gear Newbie

hi guys... anybody still following (or remember) this post? heres an update on my situation. im still listening for advise if you have any. thnx...

i submitted lots of ads from usedvancouver, craigslist... and icbc bumped up their offer by $200 bucks! its now at $1600.

i was driving along the highway two weeks ago and all of a sudden it felt like a flat (on the impacted wheel). when i pulled into the next petrol station, the tyre looked like it was growing a tumour. when i returned with the spare, the tumour was gone and i drove it home like i the car was on ice skates. this expensive cab ride to fetch my spare i didnt need cost $80 and icbc said they would not cover it b/c if this was related to the original accident, something would have come up already. my positions is that since the accident, ive only driven the car perhaps 200kms.

my plan now is to counter offer icbc and insist on re-imbursement for that cab ride, retention of the speakers and the stereo, plus another $200 so that the final payout is as close to $2000 as possible.

im asking that much b/c inaddition to mine being one of the rare eta's... 'ive also been suffering from the inconvenience of driving a car i dont have confidence in.' i figure the only weakness is that my car has high mileage but again... that high mileage (400k) is with a rebuilt engine at 250k and the body plus frame is in very good condition.

the adjuster told me if i could go get my cars worth in writing from a dealer, they would definitely increase their offer to be more reflective.

if i do that... will the dealer
a) laugh at me
b) charge me more than its worth to do this?
razzor above said it would cost 100 but i have a feeling these things cost more.

advise, comments?
~thnx guys...

for tonight... is it the usual go canada go? or is it go germany?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #45
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, you lost me when you said you had a rare eta...

To a dealer, that car is simply an old, worn out BMW. Don't forget what they're used to dealing with....
Sorry, but I'd be shopping for a 318is if I were in your shoes...it should be easier to find a rust free e30 there than it is here. Offer to buy back the car from the insurance Co, take the $1600 and part out the old car.

My .02.

Nathan

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: